1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Run or weights first?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by rubito, Feb 13, 2011.

1. rubito

rubito Active Member

Hi everyone, on Friday I just finish 2 months of exercise,going from monday to friday and resting on weekends.
    I feel great but I want to try to gain more muscle,so I asked a friend about how I can do that,he game me a routine to do for the week and said I should do weights first and after that go for a run,I always ran before I do my weights.
    So that is my questions,if I want to increise my muscle should I do weights and then run?Thank you.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

In general it's best to separate your cardio from weight training by several hours. If you must do them together, then weight train first.

3. rubito

rubito Active Member

Thanks,I read on one of the stickies that you should separate in between 8 hours but couldnt explain why,do you know where I can find the faqs about that,just curious to read about it.

4. rubito

rubito Active Member

Well I will find it later lol,shoul I isolate my running for another day?,example:
    Today monday I did: Back exercises,did not run.
    I am eating right now,should I go later or establish a running day?

My objective is to get bigger!

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I prefer having an established running day. I would say if you goal is to get bigger, focus most of your effort on that goal. Don't let running interfere with your lifting (such as not giving your workout your all cause you are worried you will be sore or lack energy for your scheduled run).

If you can still manage a run on your run day, go for it.

Jaer
    tries to keep a schedule of 4 lifting days a week, a short cardio day in the middle, and a long run over the weekend. Keep it all separate, and nail each one with every once of energy.

6. rubito

rubito Active Member

Well I plan on lifting 4 times a week,and one day I will run so,thanks!:P

7. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

My current schedule is: workout M/T/T/F, and run on Wednesday and Saturday. I've had no problems gaining - the other day got asked if I was interested in competing later this year.

Just make sure you eat enough on running days. I take gatorade (mixed with BCAAs) immediately before/after running, and a protein shake within half an hour of the run.

8. rubito

rubito Active Member

Should I be taking protein after running? I only have it after I have done my lifts,but after running?

9. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

Depends on what your protein intake is like for the rest of the day really. I like to get some protein in after either lifting or running, to assist with muscle recovery.

10. rubito

rubito Active Member

I took some protein after running yesterday,I havent try any powder yet,all natural:
    - 2 Egg whites
    - 1 coup of milk
    - 1 banana
    and blend!

11. rubito

rubito Active Member

Now that I recall,when long ago I was starting in the gym,the trainer always told me to start out on doing 20 minuts of cardio.

12. anfeyd

anfeyd Active Member