1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Rowing Machine

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by phillydude, Aug 20, 2012.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    My son has expressed an interest in rowing crew, and I'm starting to look at rowing machines for him. I know the Concept 2is the "state of the art," but what other machines should I also be considering as we look on Craigslist for a deal?

Seriously, anyone with experience in this area (crew training)... please share any tips or advice, as I know nothing about the sport or the equipment needed to train "off the water."

2. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

I bought my girlfriend the Concept 2 for her birthday in May. She loves it! (and me for getting it for her).

I researched and looked around before buying. She had used on in her gym before. I also looked at the local rowing club. They had 4 of them in their facility. Seemed to pretty much be the standard around the country. Can't go wrong. The Concept 2 company has been around a long long time. Their equipment is well made and last forever. The Concept 2 is pretty portable too. Breaks down into 2 pieces. My gf takes it to her office and works out in one of the examination rooms.

3. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Bandit... they are going for $300-800 on Craigslist right now... too much to invest until we determine that he's going to stick with it. We also have access to the Concept 2 rowers at the YMCA, so I know they are very good.

I looked at one just now with magnetic resistance, and I'm definitely not impressed with the comparison. There are a few of the Integrity brand rowers out there in my area in the $100 price range... going to see if I can get to try one of them this week.

4. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

It's rowing.

You row.

Crew = team. You row. You are on the crew. Former rower pet peeve, but it's a losing battle. :blank:

The one machine comparable to Concept 2 is the Water Rower: also not cheap.

I'm curious as to why he would need an erg at home. They are expensive, and clubs will be well-outfitted with ergs and, when he gets good enough, tanks. They're also awfully common in gyms, moreso now that they're part of the CrossFit obsession.

It seems to me like buying a tackling dummy because he's going out for football. I'd wait and see. :nod:

5. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    So the sentence "He's on the crew team" is actually redundant? I did not know that.

Well, I'm really trying to encourage him to be physically active on a regular basis. At thirteen, he's a typical teenager... wants to sleep late, sit around playing video games or watching tv, and eating junk food. In other words, he's a lot like me.

We're moving his bedroom from the second floor to the third floor in the next few weeks, giving him more space and some additional privacy. If I can include a rowing machine as part of the new layout, it will be available to him as part of his new environment, and hopefully he will take advantage of it.

Here's the machine we're going to look at tomorrow night: http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Quest-Integrity-3000-Rower/dp/B000E62H4M. I can get this for $100.

Thanks for checking in, Choppie... I did not realize you had experience.

6. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I ended up getting the rowing machine referenced above for $60 from someone literally around the corner from my house. I could have carried it home LOL. Will get it set up tonight and see how my son does with it.

7. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Wahey! Sounds like a plan.

8. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

How does he like it?

9. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    He's doing a half hour a couple times a week. That's a BIG step. It's still on the front porch, but he either works out there or carries it into the living room to row while watching TV. He hasn't lost interest yet!