1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Routine change every two weeks?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Jokat, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Jokat

Jokat Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Ok so we/I know that changing your weight lifting routine every once in a while is a good idea right...

So is it then a bad idea to change it every two weeks. I have been giving all of Waterbury's programs a go. As well as HIT. I have also been messing around with different splits (TBT or 3 day/5 day or upper lower etc).

This has resulted in my routine changing drastically every two weeks (I stick to a routine for at least two weeks).

Is this bad?

I am bulking... if that makes any diff????

2. Mr_Potato_Head

Mr_Potato_Head Well-Known Member

I don't see how it wold do you any harm, but how would you monitor your progress e.g. what works and what doesn't.

A few weeks isnt enough to determine that IMO

3. Jokat

Jokat Well-Known Member

Good point... It is difficult to monitor the progress, even though I am fanatical about recording everything I do in the gym.

Overall though I seem to be progressing. I am putting on lean muscle mass (albeit very slowly, but that was my intention) and am gaining in strength (albeit once again slowly, not so much my intention).

Any more opinions? Please... :tucool:

4. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

^^ Agreed ^^

One other thing to consider. How do you get better at an exercise if you only stick with it for 2 weeks? A lot of gains initially are your body becoming more adept at performing an exercise. Once that's out of the way, the real growth begins. If you only start to learn your groove and then drop it, how do you propose to start actually building the muscle if you switch to a new exercise or program. Even changing the angle is enough of a parameter change to intitate a neurological adaptaion before the physical one

5. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Varying volume and intensity over a 4 week period is fine but you should have some structure IMO. Excercise selection/program structure(split, fullbody etc) should stay the same for the most part.

For instance high intensity for 2 weeks followed by 2 weeks of high voluime is used amongst many trainees.

High intensity - 3-6 reps
    High volume - 8-12reps

This is a pretty simple example of course. :)

6. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

But one must be very careful to calculate loading parameters based on 1RM. I fear with so much change, you wouldn't be keeping up with the math. I can only see such a haphazard program work for a relative beginner.

Honestly, I would say stick with some consistency. You need to learn more about how your body reacts over a period of time before you start switching it up so quickly. Stick with a program for 8 weeks and see how you do. Don't do the 2 week thing; you're doing yourself a disservice in the long run.

7. Jokat

Jokat Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies...

This was kinda the point of the post. :D I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing thus I asked. Now I know that I should stick to one routine for at least 8 weeks. Thanks for the advice. :tucool:

To justify why I keep changing my routine is because I cant seem to find one that I like. While TBT is great for an intense, "absolutely shredded" feeling, (which I love and seek in every workout), I feel sometimes that I am not putting enough work into each muscle group (although I am completely knackered at the end of my TBT workout), which may be remedied by using a split routine thus enabling me to concentrate with more focus on each muscle group. My problem with this approach however, is the duration between working each muscle group in a split is much longer than full body.

I sometimes think that I am over-analysing the whole thing but its my nature to strive for perfection in everything that I do. It drives me mad sometimes. :eek:

Am I over-analysing this?

Here is my current workout... Please make comments so that I can adjust this one last time to last me at least eight weeks... :tucool:

Full Body (3 Days per week)

Day 1 (3 Sets, 8 Reps, 1 Min Rest)

Barbell Bench Press
    Barbell Upright Press (Shoulder Press)
    T-Bar Rows
    Squats
    Standing Calf Raises
    Barbell Bicep Curls
    Tricep Two Arm Overhead Press

Day 2 (2 Sets, 10 Reps, 1.5 Min Rest)

Leg Press
    Donkey Calf Raises
    Romanian Deadlift
    Dumbell One Arm Bent Over Rows
    Military Press
    Incline Dumbell Bench Press
    Dumbell Flys
    Alternate Dumbell Bicep Curls
    Tricep Pushdowns

Day 3 (4 Sets, 5 Reps, 1 Min Rest)

Barbell Bend Over Rows
    Decline Dumbell Bench Press
    Squats
    Dips
    EZ Bar Preacher Curls
    Seated Calf Raises
    Arnold Press
    Shrugs

I know alot of you are going to respond by telling me to lose the iso exercises which is all very well however, I enjoy doing some iso exercises (if only for the pump) so I will continue to do them. I have however tried to center each day around good old fashioned compound exercises, and I do most of them first in order to give them my full effort.

I am however still not happy with the above workout and feel that something is missing but I cannot pin point what it is.

Maybe some suggestions from the good folk at JSF will inspire me.

8. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Yes. KISS ;)

Bulking...aim for solid progression in your weight training (meaning try to add weight each session. The 2.5lb'ers are your best friends.

Your routine has more pressing than pulling it seems. I would get some more hip driven movements in there:

Day 1 (3 Sets, 8 Reps, 1 Min Rest)

Barbell Bench Press
    Barbell Upright Press (Shoulder Press)
    T-Bar Rows
    Back Squats
    Standing Calf Raises
    Barbell Bicep Curls
    Good Mornings

Day 2 (2 Sets, 10 Reps, 1.5 Min Rest)
    Lunges
    Leg Press
    Donkey Calf Raises
    Romanian Deadlift
    Dumbell One Arm Bent Over Rows
    Incline Dumbell Bench Press
    Dumbell Flys
    Tricep Pushdowns

Day 3 (4 Sets, 5 Reps, 1 Min Rest)

Barbell Bend Over Rows
    Front Squats (3-4 sec rest in the hole, no pause at the top)
    Pullthrough (hamstring focus) or Glute-Ham raises

Dips
    Seated Calf Raises
    Arnold Press
    Shrugs

or something like that....sorry I could only look at it quickly.