1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Ronnie Coleman

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Crunchdaddy, Aug 17, 2008.

1. anfeyd

anfeyd Active Member

I am not saying steroids do not help you. I am not saying there aren't reasons to avoid them. However, steroids taken carefully aren't as dangerous as they are made out to be. Creatine taken incorrectly is harmful as well.

I generally avoid steroid arguments but people here are blind if they think the majority of olympic competitors aren't on some performance enhancer and people who only look like Ronnie Colman are.

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I see what you are saying. I think the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. On the one hand, the media portrays steroids as deadly killers, whereas on the other hand, many steroid users suggest that they are basically harmless. The real truth is that they aren't deadly killers, nor are they completely harmless. They do cause a number of unpleasant changes in the body that can compromise health (e.g. raise LDL and lower HDL, raise blood pressure, left ventricular hypertrophy, weakening of tendons, permanent disruption of natural hormone production in some people, liver problems from orals, etc.).

3. kribrg

kribrg Well-Known Member

Ignorance astounds me too. In your research did you find the study that showed people on steroids who DIDN'T train actually grow muscle faster than naturals who DO train? So at least in the short term your statement that steroids aren't doing "the heavy lifting" is false. At the very least it's naive.

Genetics are a larger key than most people believe.

Show me a 250lb ripped guy who says he is natural and I will show you a liar.

#43 kribrg, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  4. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

I agree with most of your points but not this one. I think what you mean to say is "somebody at 250 who is abnormally freaking huge at 250 compared to average"... if you get what I mean.

I know plenty of natural bodybuilders who compete around 240-250 shredded... but they've all been doing this for at least 20 years and are all at least 6'2" which is getting pretty talll compared to many bodybuilders. 250 is a pretty good weight for their frame.

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Really? :confused: I've been competing since 1984 and I have never seen, nor come across a shredded 240-250 lb. contest condition bodybuilder who is natural.

Unless by "shredded" you mean 14%?

6. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Man....I'm screwed in the heavyweight division then....I've been killing myself trying to add muscle so that I can be 205-210 in the 5%-6% range next spring...

I'd like to know how a guy 3" shorter than me can outweigh me by 40+ pounds (and be natural and shredded)...:eek:

I mean...yeah I could see myself being 240...but I would be awfully far from shredded....

#46 digitalnebula, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  7. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

It isn't unreasonable considering they have been doing it for 20 years and are probably a hell of a lot stronger than you can imagine.

8. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

The shows I have been to have had heavyweights in the 210-220 range....
    That is, the guys with low bodyfat.

There was a guy at one show with monsterous legs that said he weighed 235...but he was not really close to what I would call shredded...he probably could have dropped 6-8 pounds of fat.

9. kribrg

kribrg Well-Known Member

Gains are reduced tremendously over time. A guy who is in his 20th year of training isn't gaining much LBM at all. A guy in his 10th year isn't gaining that much at all either.

I think it was Dave Goodin who said it took him 20 years to put on 30lbs of muscle...and he is one of the best.

10. anoopbal

anoopbal Active Member

You might be living in a dffferent planet then. You will be hard pressed to find a natural bodybuilder who is greater than 200 and around 5-6% body fat.

11. omartron

omartron Active Member

I also heard Ronnie was born with a myostatin deficiency? His muscles aren't limeted, and put someone with this deficiency on 'roids... a blob ;) I also think Ronnie is all out of proportion, look at his body, then his legs and arms... In my opinion, I think Arnold was the best proportioned (is that a word? :lol:) out of them all ;)

12. tsk2264

tsk2264 Active Member

Ronnie had a distended stomach. Arnold's legs were a tad undersized (understandable, considering his height). Best proportioned, IMO, was Zane.

13. omartron

omartron Active Member

Arnold's legs were a bit undersized I agree :)

What is a distended stomach? I know it's like a bloat... but what causes it?:eek:

14. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

HGH and insulin. Zane weighted in at 170s to a high of 190.

#54 RTE, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  15. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

I mean under 6%... I should clarify plenty. I personally know 3 who are 250 +/- 10lbs... I'm aware of 3-4 others...

I know more who are more in the 210 range but they're also shorter.... all, like you, have been at this since the late 70's-80's.

16. mastover

Hmmm....then I'm the one who must be from another planet because not only have I not seen or competed with any natural guys fitting your descriptions, but myself, weigh only 154 lbs. :( However, in my defense, the first pro natural card I won in 1999, I beat the heavyweight in the overall who outweighed me by 40 lbs. He was around 4-5 percent at 195.

THREE of the biggest and best natural pro's, Doug Miller and Rodney Hilaire and K.Weidner walk around at about 224 in the offseason. Their contest weight is about 195. Miller routinely BB rows 405 for reps and does down sets of 20 reps with deadlifts at 425.

IFBB Pro Kai Green won the WNBF Worlds as a natural about 10 years ago at 190 lbs. Now, as an enhanced IFBB bodybuilder, he competes at 240 lbs at around 3-4%.

I'm not doubting your words, I've just not come across anyone natural at 250 - 6%. Maybe I just should get out more. :confused:

17. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Body weight in perspective. Mike Mentzer pointed out once that at the 1977 mr. Olympia that Zane weighted 187. Bill Grant 184 lbs, Boyer Coe was 196. He didn't tell us what he weighted but I think it was less than 200 at the time.

Steve Reeves weighted 213lbs at 6'1". When he did movies he had to come down to 190lbs or look too big on screen. Arnold lost weight for his movies also.

18. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Really? :confused:

That's an odd factoid....would have never guessed that for "Conan" they would want Arnold to get smaller...

19. mastover

By smaller, it probably means carrying less bodyfat to "appear" larger, more dimensional.

Show me a bodybuilder who weighs 160# @ 3.5%, stand him next to a guy at 200# @ 13%, and the 160# guy will make the 200# guy look small AND weak.

20. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

:nod:

I have seen that at shows first hand....