1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Robb Wolf - The Paleo Solution

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by theamigo, Sep 21, 2010.

1. theamigo

theamigo Active Member

2. George

George Senior Member

I just lightly skimmed it, as I have to leave for class in a few minutes, but I'm not a fan of what I saw.

"Bread, pasta, and cookies are yummy. They are also likely killing you."

:rolleyes:

I'll try to give it a more thorough read-through later, but for now, I'll just leave this here:

3. BJ

BJ Active Member

I haven't read the article, nor do I intend to, but here is my input (for what it's worth) on the whole Paleo craze...

The way ancient man ate is not in some way healthier than (most of) the options available today. The fact that they could survive on a diet of X or Y is more indicative of the wonderful job God did designing man's body to survive regardless of the circumstances... it is not telling us that because they ate it we would be better off to follow in their footsteps. I am sure that our life spans are a bit longer than the paleo model anyway.

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

For my last show where i won the overall, I kept in frosted mini wheats, Cheerios, oatmeal, Corn Flakes, beans, oatmeal cookies, and shredded wheat the entire time and wound up at about 3.5% bodyfat. If I weren't so damn lactose intolerant, I'd also be eating pizza and ice cream all the way into the show. :nod:

Alan's a riot! :tucool:

5. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

One of the assumptions about the Paleodiet seems to be that we stopped evolving when we became homo sapiens. I think there is some literature out there that has shown that to be false-including the ability to eat and digest grains better than our ancestors.

6. George

George Senior Member

OK, I read the article all the way through. Lots of fear mongering up in there. Also, lots of claims with little in the way of references. He makes a big point of saying that products that contain gluten have "anti-nutritive" compound in them, which I found amusing.

The Alex, Age Five "case study" descibed at the beginning of the article sounds like celiac disease. This is a rare disorder where the body developes an aversion to gluten. The closest thing I can compare it to is something like an allergic reaction. In this situation, I whole-heartedly agree that cutting out gluten is important.

Anyway, here's probably my favorite quote:

"We have all seen pictures or videos of smokers dying from lung cancer yet still smoking through tracheotomy holes in their throats. Amazing, right? How can people do that? Well, gluten consumption is on par with a pack-a-day smoking habit."

and this one from the comments:

"Tim, you remember my dad? [...] He died of pancreatic cancer on May 30th this year–I believe it was due to grains."

7. HalfGorilla

HalfGorilla Active Member

I understand what you are saying, but can you please not bring in 'God' to any of these sort of discussions?

8. Rise

Rise Active Member

if it bothers you just substitute it for "natural selection" or whatever it is you prefer to think about, and it works just fine. there's no need for someone to censor their beliefs because of someone else's silly aversion to the word.

QFT - they just ate what was available to them at the time. It's not like they had supermarkets where they could be picky :lol:

9. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Which gets to the question what exactly is around today that they had access to?

No tomatoes,peppers,potatoes,chocolate ,brocolli. That's off the top of my head.

Not to mention all the stuff that has gone extinict. What happens if it was carrier pigeon eggs was the most important thing they ate?:lol:

10. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

For real?

11. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

You may be overreacting a tad here.... He wasn't bringing God into the discussion....YOU did that by your response -- The fact that he used the word "God" in his post was completely ancillary to his point.

12. Oranzith

Oranzith Well-Known Member

these paleo diet things are typically just marketing strategies. 'eat like a cave man' 'become a neanderthal' blah di blah

eat clean.