1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Roasted Chicken with Brussels Sprouts

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by astroguy, Jan 25, 2019.

1. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Sad to see this Recipes forum kinda die off, back when I was more active here (a decade ago), I got a lot of ideas from it. So I'm going to contribute a bit. This is a recipe that's really easy and incredibly healthy with a good macros split. The original recipe said it's "paleo friendly," whatever that means.

Ingredients
    2 chicken breasts (≈1 lb)
    1-2 lbs brussels sprouts, split in half
    2 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 Tbsp (3 cubes usually) chicken bullion
    garlic powder
    salt
    pepper
    olive oil
    cheese (I like parmesan or gruyere)

Turn oven on to 425°F. Put oven-safe skillet on stove and turn to high. Put about 1-2 Tbsp olive oil on the bottom. Trim chicken breasts and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place on hot pan for 5 minutes, then turn once and leave for another 5 minutes (this is to develop a nice crust).

Meanwhile, mix lemon juice with about 1/4 cup water and the chicken bullion, and set aside. Prepare brussels sprouts and put into a bowl. Toss with about 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

After the 5+5 minutes for the chicken, put the brussels sprouts in the pan with the chicken, and the liquid you prepared. Cover tightly and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the chicken, and bake another 15 minutes. The original recipe says at this point it's done, but I've found then removing the lid and baking another 10 minutes firms things up, but your mileage may vary.

Serve with grated cheese on the brussels sprouts.

Makes about 2-3 servings, depending on how hungry you are. When using 1 lb of chicken breast and 1 lb of brussels sprouts, plus half an ounce of cheese, and making TWO servings, the totals are:

573 calories
    23 gms fat
    25 gms carbs
    61 gms protein
    (37/18/45 fat / carbs / protein split)

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would eat that. :eat: