1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Road Biker, MTB Biker, Crossfitter

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Paul Lewis, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Paul Lewis

Paul Lewis Member

My name is Paul and I am a Crossfitter. LOL.....I got into Cross Fit to supplement my Bicycling. I was introduced to Xfit by a friend who was into it 6 months before I started. I was training for possibly one of the most Grueling 100 mile single day MTB races, the Cohutta 100. I did not have the time to put in on the bike like my other friends. They were putting in countless hours and miles in perpetration for the race. I had six months to bike and xfit to get ready for the race. I Was doing Crossfit 5 days a week and riding only 2. I felt stronger than ever but was not sure about my endurance. Race day came and I made it 13 hrs of non stop biking and over 14600ft of climbing and all most equal amounts of descending in one day. This proved to be my hardest challenge, mentally and physically. See I have an issue with cramping, even on my road bike I have issues much beyond 65 miles. Well the cramps showed up around mile 70 and never left my side. 30 miles of cramps and climbing. My body said stop and mind mind said stop miles earlier. I ended up crossing the finish line in 13 hrs 2min...I stopped and cramped in place fell over and celebrated laying on the ground. That year was 2012 and I was back in 2013 and had a mechanical that put me out at mile 38.....this year work and life got in the way of training. There is always next year.....
    I continue to XFit and have become pretty good at it. I am 44 years old and still put up numbers in the top 5% on a daily basis. I have competed in XFit and will again in the future. But my true love is cycling and will continue to use XFIt as a tool to help me be more competitive on my Bike..

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Great to see you here, Paul--welcome to the forums!

All, Paul is a super strong cyclist & mountain biker, as well as an avid Crossfitter, and generally just a hell of an all-around good guy. We ride together almost every weekend.

3. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums: