1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Rise above

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Rise, May 17, 2010.

1. Rise

Rise Active Member

I read up on some training methods a bit and I've come up with a basic plan of how to get to 12 miles by 11/10 which is 11 days before the event which should give me enough time to taper down a bit. If I can't manage the miles as they get longer and longer I will probably try the run/walk interval training but I won't know that until the 22nd of October when I am planning to run 7 miles. I set dates as "check points" for myself to know how I am doing in reaching my goal mileage - if I can't hit the mileage I am behind, if it feels good I'm on pace, etc.

I have some business travel, a wedding, and some halloween parties this month so I'm going to have some challenges ahead of me in getting in my training but I think it's entirely doable. It will also be interesting to see how I am impacted by doing this + crossfit at the same time :eek:

Tonight's run: going for 3.2 miles around the neighborhood.

2. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Goodluck with the Iron man, like you said anything is possible. You can do anything you set your mind to.

3. Rise

Rise Active Member

thanks man, that's definitely the plan! :tu:

--- Update

distance: 3.2 miles
    run time: 28 minutes
    pace: 8:45

So I tried running 3.2 miles today around the neighborhood. Pretty hilly run and the first 1/4 mile I was having a mini-panic attack wondering why I felt so tired... well the first 1/4 mile is also the biggest hill :p the following downhill made me feel much, much better. I did not stop and walk at any point in the run. Anyway, I made it an I'm already feeling more comfortable when I think of running a 13.1 in a month and a half. I think I'll be able to get there.

I haven't felt so motivated in a long, long time. Probably not since last September/October when I was hitting the PR's in my sig. That's a good sign, that's when I make progress.

:flex:

4. Rise

Rise Active Member

wow, I'm so sore today from yesterday's run. I hope to recover a bit more before my crossfit class tonight... not sure if I'm going to be able to run the 2 miles I have planned either... we'll see how the day goes I guess.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a nice first run. :nod:

6. Rise

Rise Active Member

Thanks, unfortunately there hasn't been a 2nd run yet :p

-----Update

Tuesday workout - Cindy...

1 round of Cindy:
    5 pullups
    10 pushups
    15 squats

ez, right? o wait... forgot to tell you the rest. 12 people. everyone has to row as many calories as they can in 1 minute, one time. For every calorie under their goal (set by the trainer/person) everyone has to do that many rounds of cindy + 1 round, incase they reach their goal (lol?). anyway, it went something like this:

person 1: 18/20 - 3 rounds of cindy
    person 2: 19/20 - 2 rounds of cindy
    person 3: 17/20 - 4 rounds of cindy
    person 4: 25/25 - 1 round of cindy (hooray!)
    person 5: 19/20 - 2 rounds of cindy
    person 6: 20/20 - 1 round of cindy (hooray!)
    person 7: 14/15 - 2 rounds of cindy
    person 8: 25/30 - 6 rounds of cindy :doh:
    person 9: 23/25 - 2 rounds of cindy
    person 10: 26/27 - 2 rounds of cindy (i was the rower on this round, so I didn't do the cindy rounds)
    person 11: 29/30 - 2 rounds of cindy
    person 12: 30/30! no rounds! :spaz:

25 total rounds of cindy. total reps:
    125 pullups (unassisted)
    250 pushups
    375 squats
    26 calories on the rower

i'm too tired to talk about it. maybe tomorrow.

7. Rise

Rise Active Member

So yesterday's workout was "fun." It was a bit much after the run the day before since I was feeling pretty beat up, but once I got a couple of rounds under my belt I loosened up and was feeling OK. Well, for the first 10-15 rounds anyway. It started getting ridiculous after a while and I should take a picture of my hands that now look like bear paws with the callouses I've accumulated. My friend said it looked like I was forming knuckles on the inside of my hand :lol:

Originally I was supposed to do 30 calories on the rower but I think the trainer realized that that was a bit unrealistic after about 20 rounds or so of cindy at that point. I felt pretty good about 26 though - apparently I only had to do 25 so they only did 1 round after me (I couldn't tell since I was on the ground for a couple of minutes after my row).

So yeah, I'm hurting today, pretty much everywhere. The next few days will be a welcome rest although I still plan to try and get some miles in while I'm gone. They should have a treadmill at the hotel (I hope) if not I can get a pass to the rec center they hold the meetings at and run there for a bit.

I couldn't pick up the 1 gallon milk container from my fridge this morning :lol:

after the workout I had:
    some powdered mix recovery drink
    pb&j on whole wheat sandwich
    frozen salmon stuffed with something
    yogurt
    protein shake with heavy cream
    creatine
    lots of water
    bed. 9 hours of sleep :)

next workout: saturday (rest until then with some runs sprinkled in)
    weigh in: forgot, i'll check later

8. Rise

Rise Active Member

Saturday - Double Workout Day

8:45am Work out
    warm up:
    50 "get-ups" - situps into standing position

"The Chief"
    3 power cleans (95#)
    6 pushups
    9 squats (bw)
    AMRAP - as many rounds as possible in 3 minutes, 1 minute rest, 5 rounds (19 min workout)

round 1 - 4
    round 2 - 6
    round 3 - 5
    round 4 - 5
    round 5 - 7
    Total: 27

I CAME IN FIRST PLACE!! :flex:

My first round was kind of weak, I thought I was supposed to pace myself but I realized that the 95# power cleans were very light and so I pushed myself the rest of the rounds. If I had pushed myself harder on the first, I may have hit 28 or 29 but that's OK, lesson learned for next time. The trainer said I'll have to do more weight next time too, 115 or 135#. I was happy with what I did though and I think that the few days off I took made all the difference in the world and gave my body some real recovery time. I went in feeling strong and was able to perform the way I wanted to.

9:45 Work out
    warm up:
    25 "get-ups"

"300"
    100 plyo pushups - 50 pushups with elbows in on the floor, 50 with elbows out on 45# bumper plates, alternating.
    100 pull ups (unassisted)
    100 "get-ups"

this workout wasn't that bad actually. we did everything with partners and you could break up the number of consecutive reps you did in anyway you want. so we just did sets of 10 and kept switching back and forth. The pushups were easy for me, I didn't start to struggle until after 75 or so. Pullups started getting tough around 40 but I made it through. finally, the stupid "get-ups" sucked, as expected. All in all, great work out today and I'm pretty happy with my progress ~2 & 1/2 months in. I'll see if he put any good pictures up to post from today's workout later.

time to mow the lawn. FML.

9. Rise

Rise Active Member

I'm planning on going for a long run today to continue my half mary training. I didn't go yesterday because I ended up being surprisingly sore from the previous day's work out and I thought 1 more day of recovery would help me get a bit further. I'm going to go for 5 miles today and if I can manage that, I'm still well on schedule despite not running as much as I want to.

Weigh in: back at 155# (finally)
    Next work out: Tuesday

10. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

awesome!!! :dance:

i've done the chief a few times. makes for a nice, quick, intense workout. :tucool:

11. Rise

Rise Active Member

that it does. I find that type of work out to be very interesting because there are no requirements to satisfy, if that makes sense. It means your score is only as good as how hard you pushed yourself..

--Update
    didn't run last night... :blank: it just didn't happen. after going to the grocery store, making & eating dinner, it was already 7:30. And I apparently ate way too much and thought I'd throw up if I ran. poor planning on my part, and I'm pretty disappointed in myself to be honest. the half mary won't happen at all if I keep this up.

I have a wedding Saturday which is going to be a big reunion and of course that means the booze will be flowing. A friend is flying in from Cali and staying with me one night before we drive together to the wedding (3 hrs away) and that will basically be my entire weekend. I feel slightly overwhelmed this week trying to figure out how to make time for everything and so I'm just going to stick to making my Tuesday & Thursday workouts for sure and try to get a run in once or twice before the weekend.

slightly disappointed but I'm going to work my ass off tonight at the gym.

weigh in: 155#

12. Rise

Rise Active Member

Tuesday Workout

warm-up: 1 mile run

workout: it's kind of complicated
    station 1a: back extensions + press 25 reps (25#)
    station 1b: 1 armed flat bench press on ab machine w/unsupported back 25 reps/arm (25#)
    station 2: tall box box jumps
    station 3: wall balls (20# ball)
    station 4: row
    station 5: static leg + shoulders/head raised, switch to plank after first rower finishes 200m, and back after 2nd rower hits 200m, etc.

rounds: 4
    round duration: continuous until station 1a & 1b finish their required reps. each round you alternate 1a, 1b, 1a, 1b.
    complete for time (team dependant)

this was a pretty tough one. I started on wall balls and those seemed to be my weakest exercise throughout. when I was on the pace setter exercise, I was able to bang them out pretty quickly. I also thought 1b was much much harder than 1a... every time you did a press, your body wants to go down but you need to stay flat. this was also probably one of the first real core workouts we've done in a while and that certainly made it tougher for me. on my last round, i was on 1b and the trainer walks over to me mid-set and starts punching me in the stomach, pretty hard too! I felt like I was doing martial arts training :lol:

the rest of the exercises weren't too too bad but the non-stop nature of course makes everything a bit tougher. still, I felt like I was performing fairly well and I'm pleased with the results.

weigh in: 155#

13. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I am amazed at the variety of exercises that program has. Seems a bit different than weight lifting where form is so important. Seems that with "crossfit" (isn't that what you're doing?) the point is to wear down all the weak points and build up resistance in all areas. Pretty cool but I would be dragging after a few days. Good on you to keep with it. But I see it as I see Insanity where people do good the first week or two but can't keep it up. You on the other hand I see as doing whatever it takes.

14. Rise

Rise Active Member

Yes, it's CrossFit and it definitely does wear down your weak points. I'd say that "overall fitness" probably best describes what the program shoots for - you aren't the best at anything but you can do everything fairly well. I like that sort of philosophy in both life and physical performance. Although, I would argue that form is still really important and so would my trainer if you heard him screaming at us when we do an exercise wrong :lol:

But you're definitely right with most people doing it for a week or two and then giving it up, I'm already seeing that at the facility I go to, only a few people really go consistently and those people are the real monsters when it comes to the work outs that have the best scores time and time again. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that you can't cheat yourself as easily when you feel commited to perform in front of a group of people. When you lift weights, you can have "easy" days where you just don't lift as much but when you have a trainer there to say "20# dbs? Ha, nice try man, here are 30's" there just isn't an opportunity to take it easy. Especially when your score is kept and displayed to everyone else and even posted on a website, you feel much more obligated to have a good showing.

Thanks for the compliment on "doing whatever it takes." I've been working out long enough to know that if you want big results, you need to give it your all and that's what I try to do. There's really no other way to know how far you can go or how much you can do unless you push yourself out of your comfort zone by doing something you've never done before. Finally, I'm a bit competitive and I want to be the best at it which pushes me quite a bit too. Anyway, sorry to ramble on like that but you made me think about it :p

Weigh in: 155#
    Next work out: tonight

15. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Great post. Looks like your motivation is through the roof. :nod:

16. Rise

Rise Active Member

Thursday workout - sweet 16

1 thurster with 95# BB
    15 double unders

1, 15 -> 2, 14 -> 3, 13 -> 4, 12 -> 5, 11 -> etc -> 15-1

time completed: 28m (incomplete)

this is the easiest sounding work out I've done in a while. this was also the hardest workout I've done in a while.

I didn't complete it. I was pretty embarrased about it too but by the 8th round (8 thrusters) I was soaked in sweat and my right quad started to cramp up. The only thing I can figure is I haven't really done any squats with weight in quite a while and the weight was just too heavy to do that many reps (120 total). On my 12th round I spoke the the trainer embarrased about what I had to say and he asked me if I could at least push press the weight. So I did that (and even that was hard at that point) and push pressed the rest of the reps in sets 12-15. I thought it was a very disappointing showing by me and although I finished, it wasn't as prescribed. :o

I'm not going to let it get me down though, it just means I need to get better at thrusters. They tend to be one of my weaker exercises and like I've done with rowing, I just need to do them more to make them into a strength.

I have a wedding this weekend so no crossfit on saturday for me. probably going to try and run Sunday though and see how many miles I can do. have a good weekend!

17. Rise

Rise Active Member

the wedding was good but I ate and drank too much, as usual. now back to the grind!

Tuesday workout

25 roll out's
    25 bodyweight hamstring curls
    25 x 95# push presses
    25 knees to bar

-rest while partner does the same workout-

20 roll out's
    20 bodyweight hamstring curls
    20 x 95# push presses
    20 knees to bar

-rest while partner does the same workout-

15 roll out's
    15 bodyweight hamstring curls
    15 x 95# push presses
    15 knees to bar

Rollouts: knees on mat, roll out with BB for abs keeping back straight, no pulling back with hamstrings
    Body weight hamstring curls: partner sits on your feet while you kneel, fall to the floor as controlled as possible, push up slightly and hamgstring curl your way back up
    Knees to bar: like knees to elbows except your ankles hit the bar and you invert yourself as much as you can

This took a long time just because you had to wait for your partner to do it before you went back at it. the roll outs weren't so bad for me until the last set but those body weight hamstring curls were KILLER the entire time. I almost kicked my partner in the nuts once because my hamstring started to cramp up (he was sitting on my feet). The push presses weren't so bad but when I have to do so many consecutively my form starts to break down. I can do about 10-15 of them in a row now though so I got through them quickly. Finally, the knees to bar are easy at first but the last 5 seem impossible... your grip is failing, your abs are cramping and it seems impossible to rotate. But we got through them all.

I'll running tonight if I can stay awake. a friend of mine at work did 2/3 of an iron man (swim + run) and signed up for the half mary to keep me accountible :blank: I have to train hard now to not embarass myself :doh: I just hope I don't fall apart!

next workout: Thursday
    weigh in: 156# (wedding bloat, was as high as 159# :lol:)

18. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

I'm stealing this one :)

19. Rise

Rise Active Member

Go for it :tu: But let me warn you... I'm still sore from it :doh:

---Update

Thursday workout: Unfairness

So normally I wait until after I write out the work out to summarize how it went but this one actually deserves an intro. I got to the gym a bit early so I could stretch for a while because I was still very sore from Tuesday's workout. The trainer stopped over and we were bs'ing for a while and I told him how I was training for a half-marathon in November. He stops talking to me and announces to the group that its time to start our warm up and that he just found out someone was doing a half marathon so now we are going to warm up with a 3.5 mile run :doh: I should mention that this run is an extremely hilly one and it was quite sucky. That's the last time I ever confide in my trainer!

warmup: 3.5 hilly miles

work out: partner 6,000 meter row
    groups of 4 people
    1 person rows 400m (sprint), everyone else holds a squat or wall squat if you can't regular squat anymore. next person rows 400m and everyone else holds the plank for the duration. You can not row more than 400m, if one of the people holding the squat or plank get out of position, you stop rowing and the team rotates.
    For time.

This workout would not have been so bad if we didn't just run 3 & 1/2 miles. If we did the original warm up (1 mile) it would have been pretty bearable. My legs were on fire the entire time it seemed and 2 of my partners were slower rowers so they never seemed to row more then 200m - which is fine since it meant I didn't have to hold a squat for as long. I actually preferred the rowing to planking or squatting. It seems like I'm finally getting better at rowing! But the run was a good 25 minutes long and the rowing/squatting/planking was a good 30 minutes long so obviously this was a pretty cardio-intense work out, overall. Needless to say, I hurt everywhere today.

On the plus side, I got 9 hours of sleep last night!!! That was pretty awesome and for once I even fell asleep pretty shortly after going to bed. I usually lay in bed for a half hour before I finally fall asleep. Also on the plus side, I haven't been running enough for the half marathon so I'm glad I was forced to put some distance in. I'll have to run again this weekend and shoot for some real mileage (5+) if I'm going to have any hopes of finishing 13.1 next month.

ITS FRIDAY! Yay!

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You must have been a real group favorite when the warm up distance was increased to 3.5. :lol: