1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous Patents

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by ShadowPenguin, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ShadowPenguin

ShadowPenguin Well-Known Member

okay so someone in my class this week turned me on to this web page and it's def. in my top ten now, while browsing this page I ran into this which in turn led me to this

Even more ridiculous than that patent (which if anyone can't see the satire they should be tarred and feathered) I ran into the Cat Exercise patent. NOW THAT is some funny shit.

2. GM Enthusiast

GM Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Please whatever you do, do not get me started on patents. The system is so broken its not even funny. Just look up every patent Microsoft owns. Did you know MS has patents on things like "browsing a web page using only your keyboard"? Yes, they have patented using your TAB key! The state of the US patent fiasco, I mean system, really makes my blood boil. Previous art is almost NEVER checked for when a patent is approved. I honestly believe the patent office does not care. They let everything go through, because it generates so much money for them. I believe if I remember correctly, Microsoft wants to file for something like 1000 new patents by the end of the year. That would generate MANY millions for the patent office. With that kind of money coming in, why would they even bother checking for prior art - they will just let them all pass through.

3. born sleepy

born sleepy Well-Known Member

MS has a patent on Lynx?

4. GM Enthusiast

GM Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Yes, they also have a patent on SUDO. Literally, 'a process configured to run under an administrative privilege level'. SUDO has been around many many many years. MS filed for this patent just 4 years ago... see here. And thats not even the half of it... like I said, don't get me started.

5. French Spirit

French Spirit Well-Known Member

I remember reading that someone got a patent for "compressing randomized binary data" for a year before they realized that it didn't work.

6. born sleepy

born sleepy Well-Known Member

great jumpin horny toads... so I guess whenever I type "sudo <whatever>" in OS X then MS gets a nickel?