1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Richie's Rebuild!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Richie11, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Richie11

Richie11 Active Member

Ok so since leaving the Royal Marines back in 2005 i have er put a few pounds on. Before Christmas i agreed i would get back into a training plan and all over lifestyle change.

When i sat back and looked at my life i realise that a bottle of wine a night after a meal followed by a large bag of Doritos was having an adverse effect.

I hit the scales on the 8th of January 2010 and literally shed a tear when i saw 17st 7lbs come up (245 lbs ish). I realised i had gone way past the "put on some weight" phrase and had ventured into "fat guy" territory.

Anyhow i had secured 6 months membership by way of a christmas present from the folks i hooked up with Reno_1ted and hit the gym.

I am now 9 weeks into a new way of life and have shed 22lbs. I have not been doing any cardio but plenty of weight training. I am a large guy and still have suficient strength but lacked staminar which is now returning and helping me return to form.

I am most happy with my deadlifts at the moment which are up at 170kg's and raising (3 sets of 6 reps).

So my training:

i am hoping to now document my training via this blog/forum to give me something to reflect upon and to draw on the experience of others and of course be inspired by the tremendous transformations some of you guys have achieved.

I hit the gym this morning at 7am for the first time and managed to get 35 minutes of cardio in before breakfast. By all accounts its shoulders tonight which should hurt after the double arm sessions i did on Sunday and Monday.

I dont really have good before and after shots but more for myself i though i would post these, the first pics are of me in Florida last year on holiday, it was when i returned and looked at the photos i realised just how bad things have got. The second set of photos are of me last night 15/3/2010 after loosing 22lbs.

Still a long way to go buat i am keen to achieve my goal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15/3/2010 - after 9 weeks of training and diet change

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My diet has changed to:

Protein shake plus cereal breakfast

salad lunch

Tuna (3pm)

fish or chicken meal no sauces with boiled veg and brocolini (my new best friend)

alchol cut out -

no soda or sugary products.

More to come!

#1 Richie11, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. Richie11

Richie11 Active Member

Well interesting day yesterday, 40 minutes of cardio AM followed by a day of work that was as busy as hell so only managed my lunch which was lettace and tomato small low fat cheese cubes and a spoon full of rice and sweat corn. Followed by a weights session.

EX 1: Free standing mil press now upto 30 KG per side, the jerk to get it to chest is becoming a strain and we may look to move towards a stand so we dont exhaust getting the bar up. 2 sets of 8 at 27kg then a 5 reps at 30kg a side so really happy with the strength there.

EX 2: 27.5kg DB from squat to full stand arm above head to isolate top of shoulder, 3 sets of 8 moving upto 30kg on this next week

EX 3: Face pulls sat on the floor of the static row with rope and pull with conventional grip, isolates the rear shoulder muscle, 20kg 3 sets 8 getting used to this exercise will start moving up weight now i understand the form

EX 4: Shrugs, using the olympic bar and aid of the sqaut rails to rest and waist on completion. 3 set 8 at 55kg a side, felt reall heavey even though i dead lift 75 kg a side go figure :D

Last night had a tuna pasta cooked by the wife no cheese or anything just tomato pasts and tuna, i was exhausted and run down and was in bed by 10pm feel refreshed today though!

3. Richie11

Richie11 Active Member

Nice little 7am trip to the gym today!

12 minutes on the runner managed the final four minutes at 7miles an hour too.

then hoped onto the sitting bike where i did 8 km in 20 minutes the last 12 minutes at level 9 resistance.

It felt good to be back after a week break from cardio :claplow:

4. Richie11

Richie11 Active Member

so in all honesty i am not upto speed with keeping an acurate journal at the moment. this is something i have never done and as i am a frequent poster on bike forums i neglect this one.

Time for change, i write down my stats after each excercise everyweek so at some point i will type up my cards so i and iothers can monitor my progression.

So last night was back and after a tired Monday of shoulders and a skipped session tuesday i was up for it so over to the bar we went.

after a steady warm up rocking through the weights i managed the final 3 sets at teh following weights:

set 1: 396.8lbs x 4 reps

set 2: 418 lbs x 4 reps

set 3: 418lbs x 4 reps (these stats are total weight lifted incl the bar).

After these i was feeling the burn we moved onto close arm pull downs:

3 sets of 6 at 215lbs and i was starting to spin out a little :o

the last exercise was seated row where we cracked out a steady PB of 3 sets x 6 at 215lbs.

I then darted home to get the bike out and take RENO out for a ride although throughout my back felt sore.

So today i am in that good pain place my lower back held strong without wearing the belt (forgot it) and i feel my stamina and endurance flooding back as well as the outright strength.

Tonight is arms to give the core a break :tu:

i have yet to take proper measurements for that i get reminded by Reno on a regular basis and shall endevour to update those as regularly as this blog, i suppose the feeling of talking to myself is something that stops me from regularly typing up each night session :whistle:

5. Richie11

Richie11 Active Member

Great day at the office last night, ready to rock with sore back and shoulders i hit up the arms a bit.

Again progression on every excess moving up the weight and felt good by the end.

Why cant i keep my arms big and solid all day :D

No session tonight, resting before racing the motorbike this sunday at Anglesey Circuit, Wales.

Try and keep the clear fluids up and the brown ones down but i cant make any promises have a good one :tucool: