1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

rice - why?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by digitalnebula, Apr 24, 2013.

1. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I have many problems with rice.

- it tastes like nothing
    - it has almost no nutrients
    - a cup has 170 calories (brown rice even more at almost 220)
    - the chinese use it as a "filler" at the end of meals when all of the good food is gone
    - if you want carbs....why not eat beans? (cup vs. cup beans have 4x more protein and 8x more fiber for only 50 more calories...not to mention they actually taste like something)
    - Edit: another alternative is red potatoes...similar protein and fiber but 25% less calories

So, why does anyone eat rice? I just don't understand.

I have always thought of rice as a total waste of calories....I would like to hear why it is not. Convince me. :D

I love hearing other perspectives.

#1 digitalnebula, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

IIRC rice and beans combine to form a complete protein. There are other things that do this to.

Rice is cheap.

Rice is like potatoes in the fact that taste depends on what you do with it.

3. chris mason

chris mason Well-Known Member
    Official Sponsor

Simply a source of carbs in my book. Athletes interested in performance need plenty of carbs and rice is an easy way to ingest them.

4. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Thanks fellas! :tucool:

Love getting perspectives on stuff like this.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Yea, for those who need more calories, the fact that there are less caloric defense foods doesn't matter. But over-all I agree with you. I'm not a fan of rice as just plain rice.

Not that I dislike it, cause what is there really to dislike. I just don't like it. It's like a bland neutral for me. A pile of rice on my plate...not very appealing.

It is good at soaking up sauces, however, so with some chinese recipes or curries, it really bulks up the meal.

Mexican rice, usually a good textual change from other things on the plate and it has a lot of seasoning.

Mixing rice with beans and salsa, adding a little Mexican seasoning--delicious.

Or even just tossing some chopped onions in while the rice is boiling, and some tomatoes and other seasonings in after it is pretty much done.

Rice as is...not a fan. But it can be made in to so much more.

Jaer
    discovered he liked rice after his wife found ways to doctor it up.

6. petvan

petvan Active Member

I eat 80% paleo and rice is pretty much always out for me (are are refined sugars and white flower based stuff). I don't miss it,

When I need rice, I food processor up a steamed cauliflower head. Being a veg, its less calorically dense, but so far I don't find it hurting me. Eat lots of sweet potatoes as a carb source.

Pete

7. vanderlinden

vanderlinden Member

Rice is the cheapest source of carbs around.
    Almost nobody has digestive issues with rice, whereas many have trouble with beans and grains. It's very easy to meter out how much rice you are eating - you don't even need a scale. With a rice cooker it's one of the simplest things to cook. In a meal it goes with almost anything else.

The downside is most rice grown outside of California now has unacceptable levels of arsenic, and rice from China and Taiwan has unacceptable levels of lead.

8. Proctorjc

Proctorjc Well-Known Member

Serving rice plain isn't super tasty, I agree with Jaer. But I have found a topping for rice - I don't think I"ve seen it mentioned around here... Furikake: (Wikipedia's entry

It might not be the healthiest... But it makes the rice tastier.