1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Rhabdomyolisis ...

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by andybud, Jun 2, 2013.

1. andybud

andybud Well-Known Member

Hey,

I am pretty damn unfit and went to the gym a few weeks ago to do some exercise.

I met a friend and we done a 45 minute circuit of free weights. Nothing mega heavy - I could just about bang out 3 x 10 of each exercise - but I was pretty tired at the end of it.

Right away my upper arms were very heavy, and quickly became swollen. When I went to the toilet in the morning two days later, my urine was a very dark colour - almost like brewed tea but without the milk!!!

I went to my doctor the next morning, and after taking blood / urine samples I was admitted to hospital after my work that very night. I was put on a saline drip for the next 72 hours and was told to keep drinking water to flush my system.

I had rhabdomyolysis, and my CK count was 126,000 - being told that the norm is 200 :o(

After a few weeks, my levels have now returned to normal and my kidneys appear to have been unaffected.

The doctors were to informed on the whole subject and have pretty much told me that I can do cardio - but to be very careful with weights.

I hadnt done any weights at all in a few years, and cant believe what has happened. I am pretty well terrified to go back to weights now, as I certainly dont want to go through all this again. The doctors dont even know how / why it happened - just advising I have been 'unlucky'.

Does anyone here have experience with this problem? - and can they recommend If / when I should try weights?

I really want to lose weights ASAP - Im currently 300lbs and miserable. I can do cardio, but am also scared Im going to lose weights, but end up skinny / fat.

Any info / advice would be appreciated. My doc said any muscle tears would take about 6 weeks to heal up - but again was not very helpful with any additional info.

2. petvan

petvan Active Member

Rhabdo is nasty! Glad to hear you are coming out of it ok.

I'd suggest starting slower, under the guidance of a trainer with the blessing of a doctor.

45 minutes of high rep work, especially at 300lb is a lot of volume if you haven't worked out in awhile. It doesn' t sound Rhabdo inducing to me, though clearly it was, but I'm no doctor. Clearly you pushed yourself well past safe.

Dropping some pounds upfront with a good diet and a focus on building up flexibility and metabolic endurance might be a good place to start, but again given where you are at, I'd move forward in the gym at least with a knowledgable trainer.

Pete

3. vanderlinden

vanderlinden Member

If weight loss is your primary goal, just start with diet and low impact cardio. My college roommate went from 300 to 200 in a year just by counting calories and going for a 2 hour walk everyday. Then he added in weights and and by graduation had a slim/buff movie star build. I'd say he was about 170 @ 5'10". It will take a while no matter what approach you take.

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I was not sure what rhabdomylosis was so I Googled it. Wiki has a good page with a list of things which increases the risks. You should check it out to see if any apply to you. 45 minutes of a moderate circuit does not seem like it should have caused it unless you have other risk factors.

Good luck and glad that it did not cause permanant damage.