1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Return of the Big Red Machine; Step 1 - Cut

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by jasunkrebs, Dec 1, 2009.

1. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

Hello to everyone!

I'm back and have started this cut process yet again. A little background on me...

In Feb '09, I was 262lbs, 32% body fat, depressed, frustrated, emotionally drained and could not recognize the guy in the mirror anymore. I decided to make a change in not only diet, but lifestyle, and after coming up with a nutrition and workout plan I got down to 225lbs, 21% body fat in August. A total loss of 37lbs and 11% body fat. As a result of some issues with a family member, I lost my mojo concerning sticking to the nutrition and workout plan and have only worked out sparingly since. Now that things have cleared up on the family side of things, its time to refocus and get back after it.

This morning I came up with a nutrition plan consisting of mostly clean meals, in the 1700-1900 calories range with a 40/40/20 macro split. This worked well for me before so I think I'll stick with this plan. I will continue with the Stonglifts 5x5 program and started tonight. I weighed myself this morning and was 236lbs. My end goal during this cut (as it was before) is to get down to the 10-12% body fat range and about 200lbs, while maintaning and building lean muscle. With the Stonglifts program and diet, this worked really well for me last time and not only did I lose body fat, but gained lean muscle and strength.

I'll be documenting each workout on this journal and want to thank you all in advance for any encouragement you give me and for following along with me in this journey!

Take Care,
    Jasun

FYI - "The Big Red Machine" was a nickname I was given by my strength and conditioning coach in high school because...well, I'm a redhead (ginger kid if you watch South Park :P) and I tend to turn a little red when I do squats and bench :) So, "the return of the big red machine" to me is to get back to being the athlete I was before. Step 2 will be my bulk and I'll probably go through a few rounds of cutting and bulking until I am happy with where I am at and then do a maintenance nutrition plan and workout routine.

2. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

Journal Entry - Day 1 - Strength Training Day 1:

I am restarting my Stonglifts 5x5 program, but with added weight. Stronglifts recommends you start with just the bar, but since I have a level of fitness already, I am starting with some weight.

Here's what was done tonight:

Squats - 1x5x45lbs (warmup), 5x5x95lbs
    Bench Press -1x5x65lbs (get the feel again) 5x5x95lbs
    Barbell Row - 1x13x60lbs, 1x11x60lbs, 1x8x60lbs
    Pushups - 1x5, 1x5, 1x4
    Reverse Cruches - 1x10

20 minutes of varied cardio on the treadmill at 3.5mph and 5mph

Workout felt really good for not being in the gym for about a month! I did some stretching and the the treadmill first while I was waiting on some stations to free up. There was some high school kids playing around in the squat rack and I guy on bench so I started with some barbell rows. Felt really good to lift a get a sweat going...I forgot how much I missed this! Did bench press next and got into the groove again. I handled the weight well and probably could have lifted heavier, but wanted to take it slow as to hopefully avoid some DOMS. Next was squats. About the middle of the 3rd set, I started feeling pretty spent, but I put on some heavier music on the iPod and powered through it.

After squats, I really was spent and ended up only doing a few pushups and 1 set of reverse crunches. I think doing the exercises out of order really doesn't work that well, but I didn't want to wait around any longer. I'm going to try to do them in order next workout and see if that helps with my stamina.

Overall, a good all-around workout! Had a PWO shake from At Large Nutrition (Nutrean) and am now heading to bed.

I'll be taking some additional measurements as well as body fat % tomorrow morning. Also taking some before pictures. Until next time!

Take Care,
    Jasun

3. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

A little sore this morning in the middle back and triceps, but nothing too bad. I'm thinking that I guessed right on the starting weight and hope that DOMS doesn't creep in later today. 235lbs on the scale this morning.

Sticking with the nutition plan so far today. Forgot to mention that I quit smoking yesterday as well and I haven't broken yet. Good day so far. Workout B tomorrow.

4. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Good Job on stopping smoking! :tucool::claplow:

5. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

livedog - Thanks for the encouraging words!

As the day goes on, I'm starting to get a little more sore in the normal areas (pecs, shoulders, glutes, quads, etc). I was going to do some HIIT cardio, but just going to do some light cardio tonight after work and rest for tomorrow's workout.

6. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

25 minutes total on the treadmill tonight...

4 min warmup @ 2.5-3.0mph

1 min @ 3.5mph
    30 seconds @ 6.0mph
    1 min @ 3.5mph
    30 seconds @ 6.0mph
    Repeated above sequence 5 times for a total of 15 minutes HIIT

2 minutes @ 3.0mph
    4 min cooldown @ 2.0-2.5mph

I seriously kicked my own @$$ tonight and it felt great when I was all done!

Tomorrow is Stronglifts Workout B (squats, deads, overhead press, pullups, plank)!

7. zero

zero Well-Known Member

First off, congrats on the best journal name ever! :D

Congrats on your progress so far! Looks like you've got a great plan worked out :nod:

Very best of luck! :tu:

8. livedog

Looks like a great HIIT session. Doesn't it feel oddly good to kick your own @$$?

I'm not familiar with the Stronglifts workout, I'll have to Google that. How did you decide on that workout?

9. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

Zero - Thanks so much for checking in and congrats on your own transformation and being December's TSM! What you have done is a huge inspiration to a lot of people!

Best journal name ever?? I think that award still goes to yours! :tucool:

10. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

It does feel oddly good!! :D I actually had a guy come up to me a few months back saying that he was watching what I was doing and in 20 minutes did more of a workout than he had done in an hour. Its sad that a lot of people don't at least research what to do in the gym for the results that they want, and just show up to the gym, jog on the treadmill for 45 minutes and go home...and they wonder why they aren't seeing results! :bang:

I decided on Stonglifts 5x5 after researching how to get total body strength in a few months with compound exercises. "Starting Strength" was also something I looked at too, but ultimately decided on Stronglifts 5x5 after going through their forums and seeing the results and transformations. Check out http://www.stronglifts.com for more info about it. There's a free e-book and spreadsheet to track everything as well as pages on correct form of the exercises, etc. Coupled with the nutrition info in the beginner's sticky (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=45975), I started seeing results!

Thanks for checking in!
    Jasun

11. livedog

Thanks for the info. I might have to switch to that for a little bit after the beginning of the year.

12. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

No problem! Stronglifts is a 12-week program. The last time I did it my gains were fairly significant. From my first journal, here's what gains I made:

Back Squat - 5 sets/5 reps @ 45lbs to 5x5 @ 160lbs
    Bench Press - 5x5x65lbs to 5x5x155lbs
    Deadlift - 3x5x210lbs
    Barbell Rows - 3x10x45lbs to 3x15x90lbs
    Overhead Press - 5x5x45lbs to 5x5x90lbs
    Pushups - 2x5 to 3x20
    Pullups - 0 to 3x3

Started Stonglifts @ 248lbs and ended @ 225lbs.

This time around I hope to get to:

Squats - 5x5x270lbs
    Bench - 5x5x185lbs
    Deadlift - 3x5x320lbs
    Barbell Rows - 3x15x120lbs
    Overhead - 5x5x145lbs

Not sure what I'll do after that, maybe a split routine.

Good luck to you!

Jasun

13. livedog

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I think I will start that one in January when the one I'm doing is up.

I think with its focus on gaining strength it will work well with my running regiment. I need to drop a bit of fat, so I would think this would help me preserve, and maybe gain, muscle while I train for the running goals I have.

Thanks again for the info!

14. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

No workout last night. Just way too sore, so I thought I would give it one more day of recovery. I don't want to hurt myself and get sidelined after I just started again. Still on track with the nutrition plan and not smoking. I did have one drink last night (Crown Royal and Diet Coke), but 67 calories won't kill me :D

Tonight's workout:

Squats - 5x5x95lbs
    Overhead Press - 5x5x60lbs
    Deadlift - 3x5x135lbs
    Chinups - 3x5 (I'll be doing negatives on this movement until I get comfortable again)
    Prone Bridges - 3x30 seconds

15. livedog

Hey, haven't seen you around for a week, just checking in. Hope all is well!

16. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

Thanks for checking up on me! :tucool:

Doing well, but haven't been online (aside from at the office) over the past week. Staying strong on the nutrition (under 1800 cal/day with close to 40/40/20 ratio), but haven't been able to get to the gym since the weekend cause I have been in the studio working on my new record. I'll be hitting the gym tonight as I'm done with my studio sessions for a few weeks.

Unfortunately, I did have a few smokes over the last week (maybe 1-2 per day), but it is way down from what I was before I started to quit (10-12 per day).

Thanks again for checking in!!

Take Care,
    Jasun

#16 jasunkrebs, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  17. livedog

Good to hear all is well.

Great job keeping your goal on the diet. The studio isn't usually the most conducive place for eating right. :tucool:

You'll have to keep us updated on the new album!

18. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

Its been a while since I have been on here, but I'm happy to say that I have been consistently working out 3x/week and eating fairly well. I haven't been food logging lately, tracking calories and macros, but going off what I have learned from past food logging...I am definitely not gorging myself :). I decided to do the Lean Eating Coaching program over at Precision Nutrition and am on Day 2 of that. I'm going to try to update this log from time to time, but most of my logging will be over there for now, with periodic updates to this log as the 6 month program over there is in process.

I joined up over at Precision Nutrition with the hope that some professional coaching could keep me better on track nutrition-wise and to learn how to prep, eat and plan with a purpose. Since you're working with a professional nutrition coach, who's checking in with you and keeping tabs on you, I thought, for me, it was the way to go.

Currently right now I am 230lbs and 21% bf and hope to be around 200lbs and between 12-15% bf or a little under once I am done with the program.

Until next time!
    Jasun

19. livedog

Looking forward to reading about your progress.

Thanks, again, for the info on Stronglifts. My workout partner and I have been doing it for the past couple of weeks and really enjoying it!

20. jasunkrebs

jasunkrebs Active Member

Ahem...

So, been a while since I posted on here.

About 3 months into the Lean Eating Coaching program over at Precision Nutrition I basically stopped doing it. Even though I thought I was, I wasn't really "all in" on the program. Don't get me wrong, its a great program and I encourage anyone who has the means ($100/month) to go through it. To be honest, I just stopped out of pure laziness. I hate saying that and my psyche takes a little hit because of it, but its the truth.

Starting over is tough...realizing you failed because you're just being another lazy american and accepting that is tougher.

I recently turned 30 and I don't know what it is about that age number, but it hit me pretty hard. I decided to take a deep look and really step back and think about some things. Am I where I want to be in life? If not, why not? How do I change that? Ya know, all that quarter life crisis crap.

As I sit here now, I am 5'11", 240lbs and absolutely feel like crap. After answering some of the rehetorical questions above, I decided it is time to start over and rededicate myself. My mindset about working out in general was all twisted before. Its not about looks anymore. Its not about looking good to the opposite sex. Its not about ego. Its about being healthly, physically feeling good and feeling better mentally about myself. Its about living an long and healthly life for my future family and setting a good example. Screw what others think of me, it doesn't matter. Its about looking at myself in the in the mirror at the end of the day and being content and proud of myself.

Ok...I promise, the diatribe is now over :D

I decided to go back to what was working for me before all the research on complexes, anaconda methods, etc and the endless tinkering...lets keep it simple. Stronglifts 5x5 and clean eating. Starting tomorrow morning, I am back on Stronglifts. I went to the grocery store and grabbed all the clean food I need, did the Sunday ritual thing and cooked up all my meals for the next week, got my supplements in order and am ready to go. Head down and nose to the grindstone for the next 12 weeks.

Wish me luck and thanks for reading!!

Jasun

#20 jasunkrebs, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010