1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Resource Usage with Post New Thread

Discussion in 'Technical' started by chicanerous, Apr 3, 2012.

1. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but, when I load the Post New Thread page, my CPU fan spins up and goes crazy for the duration of the time I have that page loaded. CPU load jumps from a couple percent to about 25% and hovers there. This doesn't happen when I'm editing a post or using Quick Reply, however. I also haven't noticed it happen on any other forums.

Running Firefox 10.0.2 on Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I'm using the same browser and O/S (64-bit). No issues here. I wonder if all the smilies displayed at once are too much for your hardware? Is this a reasonably current machine you're on?

You might want to try clearing your cache as well.

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's kind of an old machine now -- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz with memory 3.00 GB. My fan also goes crazy when I use pretty much anything Flash from the browser (e.g. YouTube, Hulu, etc.) and run video larger than 480p or so outside of it, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just my computer.

I cleared the cache, but it didn't fix the issue.

However, I don't have the issue while posting with Chrome (version 18.0.1025.142).

#3 chicanerous, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

The only other thing I can think of is to try disabling all FF add-ons/plugin-ins and see if that helps. I just tried going to the new post screen from my older laptop (Intel 1.73 Ghz/2 GB RAM) using FF and it was fine.

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'll give it a try. I wasn't expecting a solution or any definitive answer, but I wanted to report it just in case. Thanks!