1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Resistance Training for the Obese

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by mastover, Jul 6, 2012.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Many overweight women ( and men) are fearful of getting "big and bulky" if they include weight training in their routine. However, just the opposite is true. Diet and protein intake hands down, with a good training program will provide fat loss and gains in muscle. The more muscle you accrue, the higher your metabolic rate (even during sleep). This equates to burning more body fat. The allure seems to be doing more cardio, or more dangerously, ONLY cardio with no resistance training. This is a tragic mistake if weight loss/muscle retention/gains is the goal.

Here is a good read and very important to understand. It goes two fold for the ladies. Men??? Take notice as well.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2858200/

2. dbrian

dbrian Member

Yeah a lot of people want to do some cardio to lose weight, but they don't realize weight training will really transform their body.

3. raptor

raptor Well-Known Member

The interesting one I see is when overweight people want to "bulk up" before cutting.

I have a buddy I've known for 10 years who is about 250 pounds and every single time he decides it is time to trim down he first wants to go on a bulk first. So he packs on about 10 more pounds and the next time I talk to him he's given up on the idea of cutting and has gone back to eating poorly. It's as if he has this fear of losing any kind of muscle in a cut. :confused:

4. jgsatl

jgsatl Active Member

i'm obese and what i find difficult is the balance of low calorie and maintaining the energy to lift weights. cardio is a bit easier (not super intense obviously) on a lower calorie diet.

any tips there? i still lift...but i don't seem to gain any strength, so i'm not sure that i'm building any muscle at all...

5. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Energy is dependent on your nutrition.

A massive caloric deficit on a daily basis is going to lead to a loss of energy....and all manner of additional risks...

Eat a smaller deficit and buckle in for the long haul. Look for that steady and sustainable 1.5-2 pounds of fat mass reduction per week.
    I have lost nearly 50 pounds this year doing just that. And I put on over 10 pounds of lean mass at the same time.

6. Vaughan Starr

Vaughan Starr Member

As a big bloke myself, I can truly say I don't understand not wanting to lift and be big. Yeah, I've got some fat on me (working on that now). But at least I'm bloody strong. Why the hell would you want to be both fat and weak?