1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Reinventing Agon

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Agon, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Agon

Agon Active Member

I have to admit I've been a lurker here for several years now. Gleaning information off and on throughout my attempts to get leaner. But after a divorce a little over a year ago followed by a bad case of bronchitis that landed me in the hospital with a heart infection, I've decided it's time to do something about where things are going and make a public journal.

I've had successes in the past, and right before I was in the hospital I managed to win my gyms biggest loser competition dropping 43lbs in 90 days. I did that by following this program. After that I felt like I hadn't been eating enough as I had lost more strength than I expected. I also didn't like the low fat approach, and I ended up adding more fats in towards the end because I felt depressed.

This time around I've decided to try a program that my sister and brother in law have had success with in the past. It's a fairly standard program that focuses on building strength initially. I will be modifying the foods a bit from what was presented since I enjoy variety. But I feel like this is a good starting point for me and allows me to get back into the flow of a structured program. I'm not a huge fan of bb.com's general atmosphere compared to JSF so I've decided to post my thoughts here.

I think my biggest challenges will be sleep and socializing. I live in the northern part of the US and alcohol is a HUGE part of socializing around here. I'm also a big time night owl, which I hope to reign in over the course of this program. I was able to get into an earlier morning pattern in the past but have been having trouble with it lately.

Recently I've been slowly trying to get into a normal sleeping pattern, but I find myself getting a second wind of sorts around 10pm, which is when I should be heading off to sleep. Suggestions on beating that would be welcome. I'm thinking I should probably start heading to bed earlier or doing something to wind down.

My goal is to post at least once a week on here to keep up with my progress and help with falling off the wagon. I find a lot of inspiration from the people here including John, and I hope that someday I can give back some of the inspiration I've gained.

Current stats:
    Weight: 305lbs
    Height: 5'11"
    Bodyfat: TBD (I'll put this in later this week, I need to get a new battery for my calipers)

2. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Hi!

I agree with you about the different atmospheres between here and bodybuilding.com. That website is great for resources, but I much prefer the atmosphere here.

As for your social drinking, I found that if I simply made better choices when drinking with friends it went a long way towards helping me drop weight. Switching from regular beers to lite beers, for example, or using diet Coke as a mixer instead of regular coke or juices.

3. Agon

Agon Active Member

Yeah, I had thought about that as well. I will probably give that a try, but ultimately I think it will lead to faster progress if I try to limit alcohol as much as I can.

I agree that BB.com has a lot of good resources, especially a lot of the recipes. I also realize that they're in the game of selling supplements, so all of their programs rely heavily on buying different "stacks" instead of just doing your homework and figuring out what you really need. I don't think this necessarily sets people up for failure, but it could turn people off to making progress because they think they need all of the items in the programs. Especially for people just starting out.

4. Agon

Agon Active Member

Well this past week ended up being mostly a bust. I ended up having to go into work in the middle of the night a couple of times which totally messed up my sleep schedule and I ended up pretty much barely able to drag myself to work much less get some workouts in. Then this weekend there was a huge snowstorm in the area so I did get some cardio moving snow around for a few hours.

This week is going to be better. I will make it a better week.

5. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Yep, just keep moving forward. A setback is only a setback if you let it set you back. Hmm, I think that makes sense.

6. Agon

Agon Active Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Actually I was suprised I did my weekly weigh in this morning and I'm down 5lbs from last week. It's probably mostly water weight due to cleaner eating but hey, some progress is better than none.

7. Agon

Agon Active Member

Well, this past week was a bit better. Managed to get my sleeping patterns more in line but I ended up picking up a nasty cold halfway through the week that I'm still trying to shake a bit. Decided to let my body rest a bit this weekend because last time I got sick I ended up with a stay in the hospital. I'm hoping to be back into the gym early this week as soon as I can breathe through my nose again haha.

8. Agon

Agon Active Member

I've decided to start using MyFitness Pal to track my macros and such, since I've had good success in the past using this tool and it has a nice phone application.

What I usually do to setup the macro goals is go through their BMR calculator and then change the ratios, MFP usually sets carbs at 55% of caloric intake, which is way higher than I enjoy.

Anyway, this time when I was setting my goals up I noticed that thier BMR calculation seems quite a bit lower than most of the calculations I"d done in the past using the Harris-Bennedict method. So I did a bit of research on their site and found out that they're using the Mifflin-St. Jeor method.

Since I had never heard of that method I did a quick search and found a livestrong article about the two methods, stating essentially that the Mifflin - St. Jeor method is supposed to be more precise.

Anyone have any more specific information on why one is better than the other?

9. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

I wish I could add some helpful information but this is the first I've heard of the Mifflin St Jeor method.

I've always just used 2 - 3 different online calculators (all of which tend to give different numbers) and figure my BMR is somewhere in the middle. It's not exact, but then again I figure even the best BMR calculations are guesstimates at best.

I'm very interested to hear more information about the different calculating methods, though, if anyone knows about them.

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

The wikipedia info on these seems likely to be accurate.

11. Agon

Agon Active Member

There isn't too much info on wikipedia either. It also shows a third equation that seems quite a bit simpler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mifflin-St_Jeor_equation

I did take a few mins to read the introduction on the journal paper that was cited in the annotations and it says this:

TLDR: The Harris-Benedict Equations were done in the 1950s and found to overpredict BMR for women between 7 - 24% and 9.2% for Men under 50. The Mifflin-Jeor method has an overestimation of around 0 to -4% for females and 1% in males.

So basiclaly the Mifflin-St. Jeor method is more accurate.

It also looks like if you know your Lean Body Mass values the third set of equations on that link might be even more accurate.

#11 Agon, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  12. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I used the 3rd calculation to get a BMR of 1550 kcal. So I have to equal 1050 kcal with exercise a day to lose 1 lb a week.

I also use myfitnesspal.I got a maintenance level of 1840 calories per day from mfp.

#12 leftyx, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  13. Agon

Agon Active Member

Glad to help Leftyx. So it seems like the third calculation, since it takes into account lean bodymass.

On a side note remember to increase your calories based on your activity level. Since BMR only takes into account the number of calories you need to exist.

14. Agon

Agon Active Member

This week was a bit better, I managed to make it to the gym for the better part of the planned stops. Ended up missing a night due to a friend that had an emergency and needed some help. Looking forward to having another good week this week.

15. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

This is a really good point that lots of people just starting to get in shape forget about.

I'm guilty of this myself. For quite a while last summer/fall I wasn't eating NEARLY enough because I wasn't taking any of my activity into account. I saw some great initial fat loss but it started to stall. It wasn't until I upped my calories a bit that I was able to break the plateau and achieve consistant fat loss.

If I remember correctly, I was eating at about 1200 calories for over a month. I got much better results when I upped my daily calories to 1800.

16. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I have to say I have a problem with this. I've eaten loosely maintaining at 1800 calories a day. But I gained weight and more importantly fat. Not until I go way low, and ignore adding anything for activity do I start to lose the fat around my belly. That works for me, YMMV.

17. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Well, I feel your pain. My friend can cut fat while eating 2300 calories. I guess it's just luck of the genetics-draw.