1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Red Potatoes for cutting?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Blinkbear, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Blinkbear

Blinkbear Well-Known Member

I just can't seem to develop the palate for sweet potatoes/yams. I can't seem to find any information saying one way or the other whether red potatoes are good on a cutting diet. I'm leaning towards "no" jsut going on the whole white=bad thing, but I'm no expert.

So, JSF, what say you? Red potatoes any good for losing weight?

EDIT: The more I think about it... the more ridiculous this question has become. But I'm resisting the urge to erase it and just leave it up. Maybe it can help someone else out who is wondering the same thing.

#1 Blinkbear, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. George

George Senior Member

I think they're fine for cutting. I don't see why white = bad. :confused: Are you worried about the higher GI?
    Get the red potatoes to fit into your calories and macros and I see absolutely no problem with eating them. :)

3. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

I eat around 5-10lbs of red potatoes a month. I used them for cutting and now using them to bulk as well. :tucool:

4. Blinkbear

Blinkbear Well-Known Member

I've heard the "white = bad" as it pertains to white rice, sugar, white bread, white flour to name a couple off the top of my head. It's just kind of a general way to refer to those kinds of refined foods. I've also heard potatoes lumped in this too. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has heard this.

Well judging from your guy's responses (especially CA$ON's, given his success) I'm just gonna go ahead and use the baby reds. I love those things waaaaaay more than sweet potatoes.

Thanks!

5. witeowl

witeowl Active Member

You're not. I don't think that white=bad, (I dare someone to tell me that cauliflower is bad for me), and it is primarily referring to processed/refined foods. But I do think that white potatoes (regardless of skin color) aren't exactly nutritional powerhouses. I put them in the same category as (whole-grain) bread: not something that will further my nutritional goals, but not something that will harm them, either.

If you like reds, you might want to check out blue/purple potatoes. I won't say that they're more nutritious than reds, but they do have different nutrients and lots of antioxidants. (And they're fun to eat - how often do you have a purple dish at dinner?) Use them in exactly the same way you'd use reds. Also, if you haven't tried roasted (oven "fried") sweet potatoes, you might want to try it before you completely give up on them.

6. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Potatoes have been a staple for a good carb source in my diet. I think they can further your goals. (If used right):confused:

7. witeowl

witeowl Active Member

Of course, that all depends on what my goals are. ;) One of my goals is to meet or exceed my nutrient needs through foods (not multivitamins), and red/white potatoes don't do much, aside for copper and manganese.

Along with corn and carrots, I see potatoes as a healthful carb, but not the most nutritious carb available. As I said: not a powerhouse, so I don't eat them more than once every other week or so. But nothing wrong with someone wanting to eat them more often than that. It clearly doesn't hurt anyone's progress here. :D

EDIT: Dammit, I hate admitting when I'm wrong. On a whim, I did a comparison between potatoes (with peel) and my favorite carb of brown+wild rice. Turns out, calorie-for-calorie, the potatoes are more rounded, nutrionally. Good thing I have enough of a caloric deficit today to chew on some foot. :o

#7 witeowl, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. tsk2264

tsk2264 Active Member

Red and white potatoes are loaded with potassium...something that would be highly beneficial for someone fighting water bloat or hypertension.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

I did not eat a lot of white style potato at all while cutting, but from what I have read they seem to be relatively similar. I prefer sweet potato but do looove crispy oven baked white potato. When you consider whole generations were raised on mainly potato in the days of old they are a good food source but I think you need to make sure you eat the skin as well :) and not go to crazy with the toppings. They are certainly better than french fries and potato chips.

10. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Sure, why not?
    Keep everything in order and you'll be alright.
    Don't over analyze this stuff.:tu: