1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Rebirth

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by nc, Jun 25, 2015.

1. nc

nc Senior Member

I'll get into my story more later but for now I just want to talk about my exercise today.

I've been very, very lazy over the last several years and about 5-6 weeks ago I got a new bike. I started off slow, left it just lying there most of the time for a few days, but lately I've been biking to and from work every weekday and as of a week or two ago at least a couple times a week I will ride somewhere else after work.

Work is about 3km (~1.85mi) from my home and when I first started biking in to work I felt like I was going to puke by the time I arrived. I was panting and could not even speak to my coworkers for a while after arriving.

Today I worked from home and I kept telling myself throughout the day "gotta get my ride in!" but I was lazy and did go for a nice walk late today and so I kept putting it off. Fortunately I have lights and a helmet for my bike (though, I think I need to get much brighter ones, now) and by the time 11pm rolled around I said "fuck it, gotta go now or else I won't." It definitely helped that I was reading the front page/JSF blog today and in the Random Old Blogs section, this one came up: http://www.johnstonefitness.com/2011/01/13/thursday-morning-motivational-speech-the-mental-aspect-of-transformation/

Anyway - that's way more context than I wanted to write - but 11pm rolled around, and I said fuck it, got on the bike and because I don't know many good bike routes yet, I just rode over to work. And then I rode back. And it was fucking easy!!! Well, at least not nearly vomit inducing, anyway!

Felt so good, man. I think I definitely feel safer riding in the daytime when I can see what I'm doing better, and I think I'd prefer to do a workout earlier than later, but hell, I got it done.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You are off to a good start. What was the motivation to get a new bike?

3. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

:claplow:

Keep it up!

4. nc

nc Senior Member

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I am not 100% sure what convinced me to get a bike, but it had been something I'd been thinking about for a while and not done anything about. I guess I just figured it was time to get to work.

On Friday on my way to work I took an alternate route. Same distance, maybe even a small bit shorter, but it has some killer hills on the way there. I felt like I was going to puke by the time I was done, once again.

Something tells me I'll be taking that route more often...

5. jcarson702

jcarson702 Active Member

Pretty soon you are going to be taking the long way home from work, just to challenge yourself.

6. nc

nc Senior Member

So, a few months back my heart rate was often 90-100bpm or even higher (especially after smoking cigarettes). I was doing some web searches and found that this is a condition called tachycardia and some website, WebMD I think, said I should see a doctor if it persisted for more than 3 days.

Unfortunately it definitely did persist for more than 3 days, but I knew the cause was my shit lifestyle, and I was too ashamed to go.

I've been continuing to bike ~5x a week as I mentioned in the root post, and been monitoring my heart rate, and it is steadily slowing down. On Sunday, I was lying around and decided to measure it once more: 72bpm :) I was so shocked I did it again, and got the exact same result. (I don't have a heart rate monitor, I just set a timer to beep after 10s, start the timer and count my heartbeats at my jugular until then, and multiple by 6.)

I just went and did it again, and it's 78bpm right now, which I can totally believe. Either way, it's well under 90, no tachycardia right now, and thank god I was right that it was just lifestyle stuff.

Not that I'd at all recommend not seeing a doctor if you are having similar issues...

[EDIT - BTW: Just in case anyone thinks my method is bunk, at a dinner party I was at not long ago and someone was handing around their Apple watch and people were measuring their heart rate, I had the unfortunate experience of having a 104bpm heart rate and was the highest there... I'd just come in from smoking a cigarette... something tells me it would really, really help to stop doing that.]

#6 nc, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  7. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Nice job in lowering your resting heat rate. Stopping smoking it's an awesome goal. But be realistic and set up a plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. jcarson702

jcarson702 Active Member

Quitting smoking last year after 27 years was the hardest thing I had to mentally endure. When your ready you will.

9. nc

nc Senior Member

As of about 6:30pm today (in about 7 hours) I'll be 2 weeks smoke free. I am done. Pardon my language, but fuck that. Cigarettes are total bullshit. No one is ever glad they started smoking. Also: My heart rate at this moment is between 66 and 72bpm. This is probably the lowest it's been in many years.