1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Really need help... Tendon in elbow injury

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Gance, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Gance

Gance Active Member

Hello all, long time no see. Been exercising and doing rather well. Kind of floated away from the forum a bit, but generally I had gotten stronger.

Until I fucked up my left arm with seems to be golfer's elbow (the term, not actually the cause) and damaged the inner tendon on my left arm. It is right where it connects to my elbow. I think I did this due to not drinking enough water while taking creatine and over doing it on the deadlifts maybe. I'm not sure, but it has destroyed my workout entirely. Rather down about it. Even doing squats seems to piss it off a little bit.

I went to the doctor here in Japan, got some shit rub on stick that seems to do nothing and have been icing it a bit. Even a few hot baths, but nothing seems to be improving. Checked a few videos on YouTube, still not much.

During normal use it doesn't really hurt, but gripping things, pulling and pushing is when the dull sharp pain kicks in. I tried to "push through it" when this first happened and seemed to just make it more angry and had to stop entirely.

Squats anger it just a tiny bit, oddly enough boxing practice doesn't do much at all.

What on earth do I do, I'm honestly really down about this and losing all the progress I made. Doctors are crap here and I don't know what to do.

Help... please...

2. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I don't know about every situation but in mine it was best to get surgery. I know that sounds bad. I had the inner elbow pain that hurt to do curls. I was able to continue working out but I could barely pick up a dinner plate with my sore elbow.
    I went to a sports doctor and he was a surgeon who said he could fix me up. I had had all types of PT and electode stimulation but in the end I decided to get the surgery.
    Anyway the surgery was done and my elbow was tender for about a year. But now 5 years later I'm like a new guy.
    So if it were up to me I'd get to a surgeon and see what can be done.

3. Gance

Gance Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I'd REALLY like to avoid surgery though...

I can do things normally throughout the day with no pain or any trouble unless I actually put strain on it, such as lifting chairs, tables, or pushing myself up etc...

4. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

No one likes surgery, but if you want it done right, sometimes that's the only choice.

5. Azure

Azure Active Member

I had tennis elbow pretty badly as well, for over 10 years. It was off and on. I usually just iced my arm after baseball and something, and was able to get away with it. After getting a more physical job, it came back tenfold. Didn't help that it was baseball season too.

Went to a sports therapist, and he did active release therapy on my elbow, which seemed to help. He said there was built up scar tissue in my forearm/elbow area that was restricting blood flow, and my tendons were beginning to act like a leather strap instead of a rubber band, which they normally are supposed to act like. That was leading to inflammation issues, which is why icing it led to relief. Didn't solve the actual problem though.

So you have to break down the scar tissue. I use Voodoo Bands.

http://www.roguefitness.com/voodoo-floss-bands.php

These things are simply amazing. I've gone from not being able to lift my arm after 20 min of using it, to being pain free after 4-5 times of using the bands plus some work pushing out the scar tissue and stretching it. And I had it bad.

I can't say enough about them. I'm posted some more information on my blog, including a couple videos that show how you can 'push out' the scar tissue.

Highly, highly, highly recommend the bands though.

I'll put up a post on my blog of what exactly I did to fix the issues. Just working on it now.

6. MT77

MT77 Active Member

X2 on the voodoo bands. My chiro made me aware of them and provided a few treatments using them (quads, and elbows). Helped both tremendously.

7. Azure

Azure Active Member

I simply can't recommend the band's enough. I had a hard day at work today plus a heavy deadlift workout yesterday and my right arm is just a bit stiff. 3 weeks ago I would be practically crying at this point the pain was so bad.

8. Gance

Gance Active Member

Wait... so what exactly do these bands do? That's pretty high praise... I'm interested

9. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I am no doctor but this sounds familiar. My surgeon said that the nerves in my elbow were frayed a lot. He did surgery to "clean up" the fraying. If voodoo bands address that situation then they look to be helpful. All you have to lose is a few bucks and your elbow pain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

10. Azure

Azure Active Member

Well in my case all they did was compress and break down the scar tissue that was restricting blood flow. When I took them off, the blood flow back into the injured area was instant.

I have done a lot of stretching and forearm work to strengthen everything, but I haven't had pain of any kind in weeks.

I have a friend that had tendinitis in his knee. His therapist told him to rest it, and he has been for 8 months now. Well, hockey season started up, and since he can't play without severe pain. I think they diagnosed it as patella femoral pain.

I gave him one of my bands to use, according to the video here.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/05/voodoo-band-your-patella-femoral-pain.html

After 2 weeks he's ready to play hockey. And this was after 8 months of seeing therapists, getting MRI, CAT scan, Xrays....none of which helped.

My $25 solution worked perfectly on the other hand.

I use the bands for everything. Bruising after blocking a shot? Compres and wrap. Do that a few times and the bruising clears up, with the pain be seriously reduced.

Only thing it hasn't been able to fix has been a charley horse. :lol:

11. Gance

Gance Active Member

Still no improvement here... so i ordered the bands. Expensive due to shipping but going to give them a shot. Thanks all.

12. Azure

Azure Active Member

Let us know how it works out.

13. Gance

Gance Active Member

Bands didn't work at all... my workout has been ruined for over a quarter of a year. I've seen multiple doctors and feel like I've almost lost a limb... highly discouraged now. I've tried not using it, I've tried just stretches, I've tried stretches and eccentric exercise with light weight, voodoo bands... NOTHING works.

No major tears but inflamation. Doctor says likely micro tears. I'm totally lost right now at what to do. I'm going crazy with this.

14. Azure

Azure Active Member

How long did you try to use the bands?

15. Vaughan Starr

Vaughan Starr Member

Had the same prob really bad, to the point where even pulling on a door knob caused substantial pain. I tried a no. of methods some worked, some didn't. Of the ones that worked:

Forearm brace - just strap with a foam backed plastic plate that you pull tight around the belly of your forearm. It serves to move the insertion point of your tendon further into the forearm and affords immediate relief. This was a crucial first step for me as it allowed me to stop re-tweaking the existing injury with day to day activities.

Fatgripz - Until I got these bad boys I thought I would have to give up the weights. But, they really do make a profound difference. Initially you will have to drop your poundages, but, with patience, you can bring them back up, with the added bonus now of having a super strong grip. Having to wrap your hand around a wider surface area makes the weight much more comfortable to bear.

Ditching Wheat - not everyone is sensitive. But many find that giving up gluten for a period of time makes a big difference when it comes to inflammation and pain.

Extra Strength Glucosamine/Chondroitin/ MSM - a lot of studies out there say this doesn't work. But all I can say is that it worked for me. Maybe it will for you too. Either way, it will only cost you $15 or so to find out.

Hope this helps.

16. Gance

Gance Active Member

Thank you so much everyone. My elbow did eventually heal after months of very, very careful stretches, grip exercise, and protecting it form anything heavy. It was a very hard time.

Unfortunately, what followed was an even worse problem with my back as you will see in my other post. So I need your help again all...

I do want to thank everyone here for their help with this post.