1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

"Read 50 Books In 2010" Challenge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by phillydude, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

These two are on my to read list but I want a nice looking Count of Monte Cristo book, there are some crappy looking editions out there.

----------------------------------------------------
    The Raistlin Chronicles came out this month, I've never read those. The Dragonlance Chronicles come out in June. I've bought two sets of these before but people never return them. I've been wanting to reread them, along with some of the other books from the main storyline (that are lost as well).

2. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

I bought the Penguin version translated by Robin Buss. I looked at the Amazon reviews and there were quite a few that liked this particular translation.

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I have the Modern Library hardcover, which uses the 1846 translation. The Buss translation "modernizes" the language and restores some content that was censored by the Victorians. So, the Penguin Classic is probably your best choice.

4. Nowhereman

Yeah, but aesthetically the covers...they just don't look cool :). I know that's dumb.

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You could probably make your own dust jacket.

#125 chicanerous, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

7. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

“The city itself, perhaps the whole country, was a palimpsest, Under World beneath Over World, black market beneath white; when the whole of life was like this, when an invisible reality moved phantomwise beneath a visible fiction, subverting all its meanings, how then could Abraham’s career have been any different? How could any of us have escaped that deadly layering? How, trapped as we were in the hundred per cent fakery of the real, in the fancy-dress, weeping-Arab kitsch of the superficial, could we have penetrated to the full, sensual truth of the lost mother below? How could we have lived authentic lives? How could we have failed to be grotesque?” (The Moor's Last Sigh, p. 185).

Phantomwise -- great adverb. :tucool:

(It's also perhaps a subtle nod to Through the Looking-Glass.)

#127 chicanerous, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  8. Nowhereman

Audio Books
    1) Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson
    2) Brain Rules: 12 principles for surviving andthriving at work, home and school by John Medina
    3) How to Win Friends and Inluence People by Dale Carnegie

Books
    1)The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession by Allison Hoover Bartlett
    2) Why Don't Students Like School: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom by Daniel T. Willingham
    3) The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child by Donalyn Miller
    4) Raising a Bilingual Child by Barbara Zurer Pearson
    5) 7 Steps to Raising a Bilingual Child by Naomi Steiner and Susan L. Hayes

Graphic Novels
    1)Absolute Sandman Vol 2

Children's Books
    1) The Witches by Roald Dahl
    2) Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
    3a) Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry
    3b) Please Write in this Book by Mary Amato
    3c) Absent Author by Ron Roy
    4) Savvy by Ingrid Law

Please Writie in this book is just a funny book. And students always ask me to do the same thing with them. The teacher in the book sets out a notebook and invites the class to write in it and she would check it in one month. The kids write funny things, make fun of each other, and then come together at the end to write one mega story that includes each of the kids personalities.

Absent Author was bleh, it's a mystery book and I'm not sure if I should read it aloud. I found it boring but it might be the perfect book to introduce mysteries. Simple story and they can probably figure it out by inferring (which could be a lesson as well) I wanted to introduce mystery with a book by AVI, which I think is one of childrens books most versatile authors.

Savvy was good too but it's about a 13 year old girl who comes to grips with her power (her whole family gets on at 13), her father being hospitalized and feeling powerless, feelings for a boy, and the importance of family. Probably too deep for my kids to enjoy. They still like farting stuff.

7 step I like more than the other bilingual book BUT I was able to read it more objectively because I had read the other one first, which is based more on studies. I think we are going to go with the One-parent-one-language, I'll be doing the English and my wife the Spanish.

9. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Finished:
    1) American Band by Kristen Laine (B+)
    2) Idyll Banter by Chris Bohjalian (B-)
    3) It's Only Temporary by Evan Handler (C)
    4) Teenage by Jon Savage (A)
    5) Punk Rock Dad by Jim Lindberg (B)
    6) The St. Tropez Diet by Apostolos Pappas (C+)
    7) High School Confidential by Jeremy Iversen (A+)
    8) The Way You Wear Your Hat by Bill Zehme (A-)
    9) England's Dreaming by Jon Savage (B-)
    10) The Millionaire Workout by Ryan Lee (B/D)
    11) Meat Market by Bruce Feldman (C)
    12) I Feel Great (and You Will Too) by Pat Croce (C+)

I have been terrible at keeping up with my reading since I started my new job. Finally finished the Pat Croce book... I was a bit disappointed in that it was more an autobiography than a motivational read. The only thing that kept me in it was the fact that I know Pat personally, and much of the book took place in my neighborhood.

Nothing in the queue right now. I need to get to the dollar store this weekend and see what's available.

10. Nowhereman

Audio Books
    1) Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson
    2) Brain Rules: 12 principles for surviving andthriving at work, home and school by John Medina
    3) How to Win Friends and Inluence People by Dale Carnegie
    4) Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman by Ralph Leighton and Edward Hutchings

Books
    1)The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession by Allison Hoover Bartlett
    2) Why Don't Students Like School: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom by Daniel T. Willingham
    3) The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child by Donalyn Miller
    4) Raising a Bilingual Child by Barbara Zurer Pearson
    5) 7 Steps to Raising a Bilingual Child by Naomi Steiner and Susan L. Hayes
    + The Da Vinci Experience: Exhibit Catalog

Graphic Novels
    1)Absolute Sandman Vol 2

Children's Books
    1) The Witches by Roald Dahl
    2) Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
    3a) Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry
    3b) Please Write in this Book by Mary Amato
    3c) Absent Author by Ron Roy
    4) Savvy by Ingrid Law

Feynman's book is just great. I probably wouldn't have read it if I had not seen it in the 50 book challenge. So thanks for that.

#130 Nowhereman, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  11. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

[1] Rushdie, Salman. Haroun and the Sea of Stories. London: Granta, 1990. (211 pages.)
    (+) Cicero. Excerpt from Against Catiline. 63 BC. Translated by C.D. Yonge. 1856. (9 pages.)
    (+) Caesar. Excerpt from Commentaries on the Civil War. c. 45 BC. Translated by William Duncan. 1856. (19 pages.)
    (+) Vergil. Excerpts from Eclogues and Aeneid. c. 38 BC, c. 25 BC. Translated by A.S. Kline. 2001. (14 pages.)
    [2] Rushdie, Salman. Midnight's Children. 1981. New York: Random, 2006. (533 pages.)
    (+) Horace. Selections from Satires, Epistles, and Odes. c. 35 BC, c. 20 BC, c. 23 and 13 BC. Translated by A.S. Kline. 2005. (17 pages.)
    (+) Livy. Excerpts from From the Foundation of the City. c. 26 BC. Translated by T.J. Luce. 1998. (21 pages.)
    [3] Rushdie, Salman. The Satanic Verses. 1988. New York: Random, 2008. (561 pages.)
    (+) Propertius. Selections from Book I. c. 25 BC. Translated by A.S. Kline. 2008. (14 pages.)
    [4] Moreland, Floyd, and Rita Fleischer. Units 10-18. Latin: An Intensive Course. 1977. Berkeley: UC Press, 1990. (154 pages.)
    (+) Ovid. Selections from Amores. c. 16 BC. Translated by A.S. Kline. 2001. (18 pages.)
    [5] Rushdie, Salman. The Moor's Last Sigh. Vintage: New York, 1995. (434 pages.)
    [6] Miller, Irwin and Marylees. Chapters 10-13 and 16. John E. Freund's Mathematical Statistics with Applications. 7th ed. Pearson, 2004. (143 pages.)

Next quarter, I'll be reading Latin, studying probability theory and Islamic Central Asian history, and exploring nature in the Middle Ages. On the last point, the class abstract is:
    Then I graduate. :D

#131 chicanerous, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  12. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

1. Let the Great World Spin, Collum McCann
    2. Savage Love, Dan Savage
    3. Forest Gate, Peter Akinti
    4. Free Food for Millionaires, Min Jin Lee
    5. Gonville, Peter Birkenhead

Audio books:

Graphic Novels:
    1. The Big Skinny, Carol Lay

#132 Chopaholic, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  13. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

1. The Great Man by Kate Christensen
    2. The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris :sleep:
    3. The Essential Crazy Wisdom by Wes Nisker:)
    4. Bachelor Brothers' Bed and Breakfast by Bill Richardson
    5. The Oxford Book of Comic Verse :sleep:
    6. Scientific American - 3 issues
    7. Real Simple - 6 issues
    8. Chatelaine/Canadian Living - 9 issues
    9. Flare/Fashion/LouLou/Wish - 7 issues
    10. Elle - 3 issues
    11. Cosmopolitan - 2 issues
    12. Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw by Will Ferguson
    13. Home Planning Books -4
    14. The Origin of Species by Nino Ricci
    15. Food Inc Participant Guide

The Origin of Species was good in the first part when it was focused on the characters relationships, but the second part had a lot to do with exploring, and the third part had a lot to do with politics, neither of which I've ever been able to follow very well or had much interest in. :sleep:

Food Inc had some good points in it. I'm still waiting for my name to come up on the list for the DVD from the library. I was most swayed by the information on a lower carbon diet, because I think that's the change that would be the easiest for me to make that would have the largest impact on my environment.

Here are some interesting stats:
    • Only 10% of Americans eat 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
    • If all of us met the fruit and vegetable consumption recommendations, it would take two million acres to grow them.
    • It takes 20 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of beef
    • It takes 7.3 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of pork
    • It takes 3.5 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of poultry

14. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

[1] Rushdie, Salman. Haroun and the Sea of Stories. London: Granta, 1990. (211 pages.)
    (+) Cicero. Excerpt from Against Catiline. 63 BC. Translated by C.D. Yonge. 1856. (9 pages.)
    (+) Caesar. Excerpt from Commentaries on the Civil War. c. 45 BC. Translated by William Duncan. 1856. (19 pages.)
    (+) Vergil. Excerpts from Eclogues and Aeneid. c. 38 BC, c. 25 BC. Translated by A.S. Kline. 2001. (14 pages.)
    [2] Rushdie, Salman. Midnight's Children. 1981. New York: Random, 2006. (533 pages.)
    (+) Horace. Selections from Satires, Epistles, and Odes. c. 35 BC, c. 20 BC, c. 23 and 13 BC. Translated by A.S. Kline. 2005. (17 pages.)
    (+) Livy. Excerpts from From the Foundation of the City. c. 26 BC. Translated by T.J. Luce. 1998. (21 pages.)
    [3] Rushdie, Salman. The Satanic Verses. 1988. New York: Random, 2008. (561 pages.)
    (+) Propertius. Selections from Book I. c. 25 BC. Translated by A.S. Kline. 2008. (14 pages.)
    [4] Moreland, Floyd, and Rita Fleischer. Units 10-18. Latin: An Intensive Course. 1977. Berkeley: UC Press, 1990. (154 pages.)
    (+) Ovid. Selections from Amores. c. 16 BC. Translated by A.S. Kline. 2001. (18 pages.)
    [5] Rushdie, Salman. The Moor's Last Sigh. Vintage: New York, 1995. (434 pages.)
    [6] Miller, Irwin and Marylees. Chapters 10-13 and 16. John E. Freund's Mathematical Statistics with Applications. 7th ed. Pearson, 2004. (143 pages.)
    [7] Huston, Charlie. Already Dead. Ballantine: New York, 2005. (268 pages.)
    [8] Huston, Charlie. No Dominion. Ballantine: New York, 2006. (251 pages.)
    [9] Huston, Charlie. Half the Blood of Brooklyn. Ballantine: New York, 2007. (223 pages.)
    [10] Huston, Charlie. Every Last Drop. Ballantine: New York, 2008. (252 pages.)

Hard-boiled vampire detective novels. 994 pages in about three days -- not bad. Need to pick up the last one.

#134 chicanerous, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  15. Chopaholic

6. The Devil's Star, Jo Nesbø

Audio books:

Graphic Novels:

16. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

17. Chopaholic

7. The Redeemer, Jo Nesbø

Audio books:

Graphic Novels:

18. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

[7] Huston, Charlie. Already Dead. Ballantine: New York, 2005. (268 pages.)
    [8] Huston, Charlie. No Dominion. Ballantine: New York, 2006. (251 pages.)
    [9] Huston, Charlie. Half the Blood of Brooklyn. Ballantine: New York, 2007. (223 pages.)
    [10] Huston, Charlie. Every Last Drop. Ballantine: New York, 2008. (252 pages.)
    [11] Huston, Charlie. My Dead Body. Ballantine: New York, 2009. (302 pages.)
    [12] Austen, Jane. Pride and Prejudice. 1813. Tor: New York, 1994. (332 pages.)

Reread of P&P for the hell of it.

#138 chicanerous, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  19. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

1. The Great Man by Kate Christensen
    2. The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris :sleep:
    3. The Essential Crazy Wisdom by Wes Nisker:)
    4. Bachelor Brothers' Bed and Breakfast by Bill Richardson
    5. The Oxford Book of Comic Verse :sleep:
    6. Scientific American - 3 issues
    7. Real Simple - 6 issues
    8. Chatelaine/Canadian Living - 9 issues
    9. Flare/Fashion/LouLou/Wish - 7 issues
    10. Elle - 3 issues
    11. Cosmopolitan - 2 issues
    12. Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw by Will Ferguson
    13. Home Planning Books -4
    14. The Origin of Species by Nino Ricci
    15. Food Inc Participant Guide
    16. Who Do You Want To Be Today: Be Inspired To Dress Differently by Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine
    17. What Not To Build: Do's and Don'ts of Exterior Home Design ~ Sandra Edelman
    18. But Wait ... There's More!: Tighten Your Abs, Make Millions, and Learn How the $100 Billion Infomercial Industry Sold Us Everything But the Kitchen Sink :sleep:
    19. Architectural Inspiration: Styles, Details and Sources by Richard Skinulis

I felt I should be grading that one about the infomercials. It was not a professional quality book. I'm not sure how he got it published, because it went off topic, left things hanging in mid-air, and started talking about things without introducing them. It felt like the result of an assignment, not an inspired collection of ideas. C+

Achitectural Inspiration was fine, but nothing all that special.

At the library this afternoon, I picked up some more random books about decorating, fashion and beauty, because those were fun, and a novel by Lorrie Moore which I'm pretty excited about because I've enjoyed her stuff in the past.

20. Chopaholic

7. The Redeemer, Jo Nesbø
    8. The Snowman, Jo Nesbø

Audio books:

Graphic Novels: