1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

"Read 50 Books in 2009" Challenge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by George, Dec 31, 2008.

1. George

George Senior Member

Read 50 books by December 31, 2009.

They do not have to be traditional. Audio books, graphic novels, etc. are welcome. It's up to you. :)

This time around, I think it would be a good idea to make a post every time you finish a book along with possibly a running list of previously finished titles. Notation is up to you. Add some comments if you feel like it. Example:

[1] A River Runs Through It and Other Stories by Norman Maclean; 217 pages
    3 short stories about life in western Montana around the 1920's-40's. I liked this book. Lots of stuff about lumberjacks and being tough.

Discussion is encouraged.

:read:

#1 George, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I didn't make it last time but I made a nice little run towards the end. I'm in though.

Do RPG's count...you read there :D

3. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

What's an RPG?

Okay, I'm in. Even for a reader and academic like me. Fifty books, practically one a week, is a hell of a lot. And the books I tend to read are fairly dense. But I like this challenge. I joined JSF too late last year to do the 25 book one. I'm all for this one now. Thanks for starting this.

And you will all learn a lot about the strange kind of things I read... mixed in with some mystery novels.

4. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

I'm in.

BTW, RPG= role-playing game (i.e. Final Fantasy, Baldur's Gate, etc.)

5. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

i'm in, too. reading one or two books per week is something i was used to at university. i was on holiday for two weeks before xmas and read 3 books during that time. too bad that doesn't count :)

6. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Does vacuum cleaner manual count? :D

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:tucool:
    I'm debating whether to count the ones I'm currently half way through.

I try to read a whole book at once, but then I end up giving priority over ones I borrowed from the library vs. ones that I own. Then I started giving priority over books that I borrowed from work over ones I borrowed from the library and things got really complicated. :p

Currently reading :
    Strip City: A Stripper's Farewell Journey Across America by Lily Burana
    The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World by Niall Ferguson

:read:

8. TheThirdMohican

:D I just signed up for dailylit.com so I can read on my PDA while commuting/killing time at school

9. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I've started compiling a list of books to read for the new year.

*A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose

*Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else

*No Limits: The Will to Succeed

*The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

*Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results: Secrets for Communicating Attention and Getting Results

*How to Win Friends & Influence People

*The Definitive Book of Body Language

*The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life

*The Success Principles for Teens: How to Get From Where You Are to Where You Want to Be

*The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing. A Book of Practical Counsel

*Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial

10. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

:lol::lol:
    you know what's frustrating? apart from my regular work, i take care of the library at my office as well, and as the new books arrive i keep adding new titles to my 'must read' list, so at times i have up to 10 books on my bedside table, most of which half-read. so, if i finish some of those this year, i'll definitely list them here:)
    and what about the books that you started reading but realize they're not worth finishing? are you compelled to finish them anyway or do you give up?
    currently reading Aristotle's 'Poetics', and am wondering why i even wanted to read it. the text is about 50 pages, and the other 450 are just footnotes :rolleyes:

11. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This is a really good one. I finished it a couple of months ago.

Based on your other books, I think you'd like this if you come across it.

Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway by Susan Jeffers

About 10 years ago my mom picked up about a half a dozen copies and mailed them to all of the people she cared about the most. :)

Here's one of the reviews from an amazon customer:
    This book is such an extremely wonderful collection of ideas and "exercises" that has helped me see the world in a much more positive way. It expanded my life and my ability to handle situations and relationships in my life. It helped me to see the importance of taking responsibility for myself and my actions and to quit blaming people and situations for some of my discontent. Thinking of life as a journey and hence learning from each experience, I have a much more positive outlook. Susan Jeffers is able to clarify so many things in this book. It's amazing how so much can be right in front of you, but it takes a very caring and articulate person to point it out. She is that person. I thank her for this wonderful book and I hope that whoever reads this review will read this book because I am sure you will experience life in a much richer and fulfilling way.

12. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I eventually give up, but I usually struggle with them for a frustratingly long time first. :mad:

I'm having trouble with The Ascent of Money. I'm finding it difficult to understand, and figure that means I must not be smart enough to read it, which is making me mad. But it could just mean that it's not well written, which would mean I'm just wasting my time interpreting something that should have been much more clearly interpreted for me. I understand all the chapters about trends and statistics; it's just the chapters about wars and political battles that are confusing me. :( He leaves out a lot of stuff, assuming that his audience is intellectual and basically informed, and that's really annoying.

13. TheThirdMohican

Great list!

The book I bolded is one of the best books I have ever read. Have read it probably 3-4 times cover to cover and reference it often (I have a pocket version).

14. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I went over the 25 books in the last thread, but I quit logging them because I was lazy :o

15. paulo_drummer

paulo_drummer Well-Known Member

I'm in! :spaz:

I'm so looking forward to it! :lol:

Currently reading:

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer, 754 pages.

16. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

You know, Canfield actually referenced this book in "The Success Principles". I'll definitely check it out, thanks.
    I'm looking forward to furthering my knowledge through that list.:tu:

17. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

You are plenty smart, so the book is the fault.

The challenge should be to find and complete 50 books worth reading, and that's a hell of a challenge.

18. Carole

Carole Well-Known Member

Three Day Road was a book I read last year and posted as having done so in the 25 books in a year thread. Although it isn’t a “how to” or “not to” sort of book as is evident so many prefer to read but one of fiction it may be to no ones particular interest, I did however find it extremely interesting and most certainly well crafted. The follow is a reasonable representation of this book……….IMO…..and offered with the hope that in so doing someone might be sufficiently intrigued to ‘read’ and find the ‘read’ to their liking.

From Publishers Weekly
    Starred Review. When Cree Indians Xavier Bird and Elijah Whiskeyjack join the Canadian Army in 1915, they expect to go to France, become warriors and kill Germans. What they don't expect is that the war will drive one of them mad and make the other a morphine-addicted cripple. This is Boyden's first novel (after the story collection Born with a Tooth), a powerful tale of two young men numbed by the horrors and brutality of trench warfare. Boyden vividly portrays the chaos, fear, cowardice and courage of infantrymen condemned to wallow in the mud and blood of the Western Front. Best friends Xavier and Elijah are both expert sharpshooters and, using the field craft they learned hunting in the forests of Hudson Bay, quickly become accomplished snipers. Elijah is outgoing and boastful, while Xavier is quiet and reserved, but both are deadly efficient soldiers. A parallel story line tells of Niska, Xavier's aunt, a Cree Indian prophet and healer, as she tells of the sad decline of Cree culture and waits for her nephew to come home. As the war drags on, one of the men's addiction to drugs and killing causes him to take extreme risks; when he finally commits murder to hide the ugly truth, his friend sees only one solution to save his own soul. Friendship is riven with resentment and war is stripped of glory in this remarkable, wrenching novel, the work of a gifted storyteller. Agent, Nicole Winstanley at Westwood Creative Artists (Toronto). 6-city author tour. (May 9)
    Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

19. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This is one of the top sellers at our book store. I keep thinking about getting it for my husband. He has native Canadian background and a huge family history of addiction. Is there a happy ending bit to it, or is he doomed?

20. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

1. School for Husbandsby Wendy Holden

:bang:
    I don't know why I keep trying to read chick lit. :( I always think of books in that genre as being nice light reads, but they inevitably end up being one-dimensionsal, self-centred, simplified synopsis about how unfair it is to be a woman. This one had a dumb premise (main character wants to leave her husband because he is spending too much time at work and not helping around the house), a dumb sub-plot (old boyfriend wants to win main character back to look more socially acceptable at his family-centred job), and a dumb conclusion (husband spends two weeks at a very expensive retreat learning how to close the toilet lid and put the cap back on the toothpaste tube, and comes back rehabilitated and ready to sacrifice even more of his personal time than he he had been pre-intervention). This one I should have abanadoned after the stupid antics in the first chapter. :rolleyes:

So I'm back into my favorite genre, which is college students discovering the world and themselves. :dreamy: :lol: Introspection, growth, tons of stupid mistakes, and the good sense to learn from them. There are a lot of surprisingly excellent books on that subject. :tu: