1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

"Read 25 Books by the End of the Year" Challenge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by George, Jun 28, 2008.

1. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Good.

A really nonjudmental account of the reality of what is going on with the teaching style and administrative habits of schools in California, which can possibly be extracted to other places. I saw some similarities to what's going on in Canada.

The self-esteem part is reported well, noting how language is different from behaviour, how what a girl says she wants is not the same as what it appears she really wants, and how esteem changes from month to month or minute to minute.

It points in directions that might suggest how educators could adapt the environment to increase the self esteem of girls, and suggests that the natural tendencies of boys to monopolize a teacher's time might sometimes need to be ignored to give attention to the girls who don't ask for it. It reminds us that the ones who do poorly in school are not the ones who act out, but, rather, the ones who are afraid to participate and not encouraged to contribute.

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Rand's books are so epic and far reaching that they are referrance books for me. Once you read it through, it begs to be revisited at different segments throughout our lives. Same with Steinbeck, who I am currently reading, again. I've read all his books multiple times within the last 30 years. I always go back to different chapters, verses, and discover a different point of view, or simply reaquaint myself with some profound analogy which seems to become pertinant in my present state of affairs.

Update: Currently reading: Steinbeck's "East of Eden" and "The Winter of Discontent".

Mark Twain: A life by Ron Powers. (found this gem at the library :) )

#82 mastover, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  3. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Since I'm going to be on vacation for a week starting this Saturday, I've got a copy of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick. I thought about reading some books I already have that I haven't finished, but then I realized I don't want to spoil my literature nutrition and set back my progress. :nod: They are not finished for a reason... There are some books I want to get. I threw some books in a "pile" and will pick them in a random order. Some of them are:

"The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger
    "The Third Policeman" by Flann O'Brien
    "Borderliners" by Peter Hoeg
    "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein

Any recommendations for a mind blowing biography?

#83 Kilter, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  4. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

Raging Bull by Jake La Motta
    The Guv'nor by Lenny Mclean
    Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver
    Education of a Felon by Eddie Bunker
    You Can't Win by Jack Black

Don't know about mindblowing, but interesting reads...

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Depends what you mean by mind blowing, and whether you're looking for political, popular culture, academia, or other.

This one's gotta be great:
    http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Life-Science-Richard-Feynman/dp/0679747044

Haven't read it, but I've read the first two books under "Customers also bought"

6. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. You're a tough guy, aren't you? :confused: Actually, the autobiography of a ex-felon sounds interesting...

That's more like it. :nod: Not looking for anything specific but I think I want to stay away from most popular culture.

7. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

Most of the biographies I have tend to be fairly conservative - military, historical leaders, religious, weightlifting, a few pop culture figures, but those were a few off the beaten path. Feynman is definitely a character. You could also look into a Philip Dick biography, Do Androids Dream would make a nice lead-in to it. He was a pretty wild character, and not very sympathetic.

Depends on what you're looking for. I have to say, very rarely have I been disappointed with a biography. Most people are interesting on some level.

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I've heard "Catch Me if You Can" is a great book. We used to bring the guy in who wrote it to give bank security conferences back before the movie was made. I keep meaning to get around to reading it.

EDIT: Cool, my library has the audiobook for download. May do that next.

#88 MannishBoy, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  9. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I did a book report on that book in the 10th grade. It was a great book....some of the things the guy was able to pull off was pretty incredible.

10. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

I'll definitely put those two into my pile of books to read. Thanks!

I remember seeing an interview with him after watching the movie. I wonder if that is an autobiography. :confused: I'll add to my pile in any case.

11. mr. d

mr. d Well-Known Member

I'm partially thru:

Buddhism without beliefs - Stephen Batchelor
    Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway - Susan Jeffers
    and Dark Tower 7 - Stephen King

I'm also part way through Lisey's Story - Stephen King.

12. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Yes, it was. I think he had a ghost writer help him, but he's an interesting speaker with lots of stories.

Of course, he's a con man, so if there is some license taken to make things more interesting, I wouldn't be surprised.

I just downloaded the audiobook :)

13. angryviking

angryviking Active Member

I am reading this right now, as I was absolutely in awe of the movie trailer shown before TDK, and inspired to pick up the dead tree edition. I just finished chapter 7 (of 12) and I'm loving it. Can't wait to start over from the beginning and read it again.

14. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I'm not finished, either. I'd put in a request at the library months and months ago when I heard they were making a movie, and when I got the email that it was available I'd pretty much forgotten I'd requested it :lol:

I'm not really that into graphic novels, but now I'm interested in reading The Killing Joke, which is one of the Joker origin stories.

15. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

Can you tell me who the author is? I checked my library and there are a few different versions of "The Watchmen".

I just picked up the "The Wolf of Wall Street". Hopefully, I can read this over the next couple of weeks.

16. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Alan Moore. See here.

17. angryviking

angryviking Active Member

Also note that it's just "Watchmen" and not "The Watchmen."

18. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

Thanks!:tucool:

19. George

George Senior Member

I picked up "East of Eden" from the library based on this post. Really glad I did. :tucool:

20. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I returned my library books and I'll get them back when I get back from holidays.

I'm listening to the audiobook "Food of Love by Anthony Capelli" It's kinda cheesy and not as creative as what I'm used to reading, but it passes the time.

Also reading The Asiatics by Frederic Prokosch, which I'm not finding to be as valuable as many other readers have found it to be. :confused: However, it's easy reading, there's lots going on, and I'm taking pleasure in making notes about all the parts I don't like about it and why. :rolleyes: