1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

"Read 25 Books by the End of the Year" Challenge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by George, Jun 28, 2008.

1. George

George Senior Member

Whatever you like. I'm doing the one post 'cause it's easier for me to track. I can see advantages with either method. :)

PS:

:whistle:

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

That's the second time in this thread I've not read the other posts fully. Ironic in a book reading thread, huh?

3. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

All right, all right, I get it. I should edit my statement though. I do have time to read, but I have been using it to read the JSF website a lot lately. :whistle: Seriously, over the last few months I have been dedicating my reading time to magazines. I just stopped my subscriptions to all the magazines, so now I will have time for books.

Audio books are good, but expensive. My library has crappy ones to pick from.

4. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

What free service are you referring to?

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I use both my library in Nashville and my mom's library in a small town that's part of a much bigger coop of libraries across TN that actually has a much better selection than Nashville's.

They have different selections, but both use "OverDrive" software. It's based off of .wma DRM, so the books you download expire after a certain period of time (2-3 weeks). Some you can actually burn to CD, some you can't. Popular books generally have a wait time as the library only pays for a certain number of "copies" to be out at once, but you can queue stuff kind of like Netflix or something.

There is another similar service called NetLibrary that I think Nashville used to use and may still have some books from. It works similarly.

They won't play on ipods (no wma support), but there are tons of players that support them. I just got a cheap Sansa Clip just for this, but had been using a Creative Zen V+.

They also have downloadable ebooks in pdf format as well.

Here is one of the sites tied to the TN libraries. Check your library web site. Many libraries have similar things these days.

Also, I've found my local branch library doesn't have that great of a selection of audiobooks and I've gone through most of what's good, but you can always request books that might be elsewhere in the system here and they bring them to your local library for pickup. They email me when they come in.

EDIT: If you are in Chicago as your profile shows, they do have some Overdrive books on this page. Looks like nearly 3800 books. :read:

#45 MannishBoy, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  6. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

Thanks Mannishboy! I am in the suburbs of Chicago, but I will check my local library.

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Also, if you want to read the classics, try:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

In audiobook version:
    http://librivox.org/

Non-professional readers in that case, so if you're picky about your voices, it might not work for you.

Almost finished reading Oprah May 2008. As a bonus, it contained an article Books that made a difference to Miranda July. :spaz: :D

I've had a few of those books on my list for a while; I'll be sure to get to them a little more quickly now.

8. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

Thanks Guava for the links!

9. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links Guava, the gutenberg site is fantastic!

10. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Picked up Slaughterhouse Five last night at the library. Now I HAVE to finish the other book I have going right now so that I can get through Vennegut's before it is due back! :eek:

P.S. It has been amazing and refreshing as well how getting into good books has completely changed the urge to flip on the TV when there is nothing else to do at home. Our love seat in the living room has been getting more action (reading ;)) lately than it has ever in the last 7 years!

11. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

List of completed books
    1. Pigtopia - Kitty Fitzgerald
    2. As a Man Thinketh - James Allen
    3. Oprah Magazine - May 2008

Still reading
    A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby. It's really good. :tu: Doesn't really seem to be a very accurate representation, but it's entertaining, and that's usually what I'm after.

Going to the library today. Last time I was there, the librarian recommended Eleanor and Abel by Annette Sanford, so I might get that. "I don't know if I've ever been treated to such a full, rich, endearing story in so few words! Only a couple hundred pages - and yet I felt as if I were visiting old friends for a long stay. I enjoyed this book immensely." It will be a nice contrast with Pigtopia, where there was a lot of chopping up of bodies and other gruesome stuff. :cry:

12. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I saw the Blindness movie trailer yesterday. I've had 2 of Saramago's novel's sitting on my shelf for some time now. I'll have to read the book before the movie comes out. I hate watching the movie before reading the book.

13. JoCo12

JoCo12 Active Member

Finished fahrenheit 451, also just finished How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie. Exactly what I expected

14. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

Just trying to make a dent in the bookshelf...personal reading only, no professional reading included...

So far this year:
    A Soldier's Story - Omar Bradley, WWII
    Flags of Our Fathers - WWII, Iwo Jima, a son's story of his father, public perception of heroism vs. soldier perception
    Dereliction of Duty - Vietnam and the Joint Chiefs, soldier responsibility to political leadership, necessity of political leadership to seek unbiased military advice
    Honorable Warrior - Harold K Johnson, one man's concept of honor, loyalty, integrity and trying to look out for the soldier through WWII, Korea, and Vietnam
    Tokyo Suckerpunch - not a great work of literature, but was unread on the bookshelf
    The Great Raid - WWII, Bataan, man's inhumanity to man and our own ability to endure
    Ghost Soldiers - WWII, Bataan
    Great Deluge - Hurricane Katrina, the power of individual action and the importance of streamlined bureaucracy that gets out of the way Time For Trumpets - WWII, Battle of the Bulge, regular guys doing heroic things in the bitter cold

Next half of the year should not be so WWII heavy, just happened that way. :confused:

15. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

do readme.txt files count?

16. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

I'm definitely in! I've already read a ton of books this summer. Just finished the last two Harry Potters.

Now readin:

The Secret Lives of Bees by sue monk kidd (done)

The Good Earth by pearl s buck (done)

#56 dejavued, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  17. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Just finished Carpe Jugulum by Terry Prachett in audiobook. The Discworld audiobooks have become my light books between heavier or darker novels. I think I'll do Mort next time I get around to Prachett.

Edited into post up top.

18. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

List of completed books
    1. Pigtopia - Kitty Fitzgerald
    2. As a Man Thinketh - James Allen
    3. Oprah Magazine - May 2008
    4. Schoolgirls: Young Women, Self Esteem, and the Confidence Gap (Non-fiction)
    5. A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby
    The schoolgirls book was extremely well written. Interestingly, the author took a very non-judgemental stance, which is very refreshing. She rarely stoops to "schools should be doing this" or "those teachers were horrible" just a basic retelling of the thoughts and dialogue of a sample of girls from a couple of schools, along with some standard observations of what they're exposed to each day. I hope that a lot of school teachers read this book, because I think it could help them to think more about how they've contributed to shaping the environment and about whether they're proud of what comes of it. I read some of the reviews on amazon and it seems like they read a different book than I did. :confused:

Hornby's book was fantastic. He does a great bit about how Starbucks is impersonal, but that maybe that's not such a big deal because maybe that's what so many people appreciate about about it. This novel had four main characters, and he broke the book up into sections for each of those voices. My favorite voice was Jess, who's a completely self-centred brat. The most infuriating for sure, but also the most fun.

I have started
    The Dying Animal - Philip Roth
    It's another really short book, and going too quickly. In the post-religious world of Philip Roth's fiction, humans do not have immortal souls. Death and desire is all we are.

I picked it up because I saw the Nicole Kidman/Anthony Hopkins movie not long ago based on another of Roth's novels (The Human Stain). There seems to be some common theme here: older man/younger woman and seriously flawed characters.

19. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

1.Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmeker and
    2.Eat Stop Eat by Brad pilon
    3."Promets Moi" de Harlan Coben.
    4. While I was Gone by Sue Miller
    5. Le Premier Cavalaier de l'apocolypse de John Case
    6 Ensemble C'est Tout; de Anna Cavalda
    7 Conquérent de l'Impossible de Mike Horn

While i was gone was given to me by our English teacher as she is moving to Vietnam and was getting rid of a bunch of books... it was a completely riveting book about human nature....a restless mother of thre adult children and crossing paths with someone with whom she had lived in community at the end of the sixties, where her best friend had been murdered.....

20. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Code:

1) [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Instruction-That-Works-Third/dp/1593852282/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215638566&sr=8-1"]Reading Instruction That Works: The Case for Balanced Teaching[/URL]

A reading instruction book that promotes the use of the skills
     emphasis model and whole language. 

I know its not what most people around here would read but I plan to read a couple of professional development books this summer.