1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

"Read 25 Books by the End of the Year" Challenge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by George, Jun 28, 2008.

1. George

George Senior Member

I read this last month and really liked it. :nod: I actually read two more of his novels based on the strength of this one. Also, that's Camus in my avatar. :lol:
    This sounds good. I'll add it to my list of books to eventually read.

2. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Great Thread...Since around the holidays I have read/am reading:

Hatchet - Gary Paulsen
    Often Wrong, Never in Doubt - Donny Deutsch
    The Last Jihad - Joel Rosenberg
    The Last Days - Joel Rosenberg
    Ezekiel Option - Joel Rosenberg

I have about 10 other books going right now, but I will wait to post them until I actually finish them.

3. vanDutton

vanDutton Active Member

Hatchet - Great Book, hands down. You should also read "The River" by Gary Paulson. It's a sequel to the hatchet. I read that a while back, and was quite impressed.

Also, in light of seeing the movie this past weekend, I'm going to read "The Outsiders" again. I think it's by S.E. Hinton.

I just finished "The Contender" by Robert Lipsyte. Great motivational book. Proves that, no matter what, you have the will to do anything. Even when getting your ass kicked.

4. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I'm going back to work in 2 weeks. I'll hit 25 books in probably 8 weeks. :read:

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Started in on two additional books last night:

~A Forest of Kings by Freidel and Schele

~Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut (the umpteenth time reading this epic tome :cool: )

6. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I'm in.

I'm terrible for having multiple on the go, but I guess I'm a little scattered like that. :o I'll start with a book I happened to finish last night, and just update this post rather than starting new ones.

Finished:
    Cringe, Sarah Brown, ed. (August 2008, had a pre-press): excerpts from writers' teenaged journals/diaries. Hilarious. The short excerpt style makes it a great travel read.

In Progress:
    The Uses of Haiti, Paul Farmer: sociopolitical history of Haiti by the MD, medical anthropologist, and infectious disease expert Dr. Paul Farmer
    A Crime So Monstrous, Benjamin Skinner: expose of modern slavery
    Mental Disorders in Older Adults, Zarit and Zarit: this is for a class I'm taking later in the summer. It's quite clinical, so I wouldn't recommend it outside of a professional and/or academic environment.

7. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

So? Post them. This is more a conversational thread than a competition, right? :confused:

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I just did this audiobook and movie over Memorial Day.

Any Lost TV fans need to read this book. I think it's the origin of the "unstuck in time" thing with Desmond.

Seems like I have another Vonnegut book or two queued up in the library's downloadable audiobook site.

9. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

What I thought the winner was going to get a gift card for Barnes and Nobe! :D

10. JoCo12

JoCo12 Active Member

Good idea, I'm in. These are the books I've finished since the start of summer:

Catch-22
    The prince – Machiavelli
    Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
    Ultramarathon man by Dean Karzarnes
    autobiography of malcolm x as told to alex haley
    It’s not about the bike by Lance Armstrong
    Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart"
    Man's Search for Meaning by viktor frankl

Should be finished with Fahrenheit 451 tonight. Great book, glad I don't watch television daily :p

11. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I am in :)

Just finished Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmeker and Eat Stop Eat by Brad pilon and am reading "Promets Moi" by Harlan Coben. Over my summer break I usually manage around 3 a week. Great idea, George ;)

12. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

I have rediscovered the library! lol. It's so funny because I have a big list of books to read and I even started to write out a price list on them, then I realized that I could get them all for free at my library....damn times have changed, I used to go all the time :lol:

13. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Well-Known Member

I read this book a few months ago, but I didn't post because I thought we are only posting books we read since May :o

This book is an excellent antithesis to Camus' "The Stranger" :p

14. Gila Monster

Hehe, I didn't know that was Camus :) what a coincidence! Are the other 2 novels good? I didn't agree with his philosophy, but his ideas are very interesting, also I adore the simplicity and restraint of his storytelling, makes the story much more powerful. [​IMG]

I'm not sure you can find this collection because it seems to be an Israeli publishing, but you can definitely read each story individually! :nod: Gogol and Hoffmann are two of my favorite authors!

15. bigmex44

bigmex44 Active Member

I wish I had time to read books. I am lucky if I read 3-5 per year.

Just curious...Where are people getting their books from? Buying them via internet? If so, what sites? Buying them in person at the store? Library? Borrowing?

16. Gila Monster

I either get mine from the library, or buy the really good ones from a store. Browsing through bookshelves is part of the experience, I could spend 1/2 a day doing that. :p

17. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Most the books I'll be reading are from the library.

The rest are from garage sales, charity book sales and www.bookcloseouts.com. If I was ever to buy from amazon, I would use the JSF Amazon Mall.

18. George

George Senior Member

I liked them but not as much as The Stranger. They were The Fall and The Plague. I might reread The Fall before the summer's out.
    I actually like his philosophy. :whistle: Check out his philosophical essay The Myth of Sisyphus. I think that sheds some light on his ideas. Or not. He's a "continental" philosopher and doesn't outright say what he means.
    How much time do you spend in the car? I would recommend audio books if you have some downtime but can't pick up a paper book. :) I like listening to audio books while doing meal prep and cleaning.
    I usually go to the library. Used book stores are great as well. I recently picked up a hardcover version of The Brothers Karamazov for $3.50.
    I rarely order online but it's usually through Amazon (use the JSF amazon mall :dance:). I also just ordered a few books from eliteFTS.com but those I probably couldn't get elsewhere.

19. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I don't get to use that quote a whole lot.

20. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Amazon either new or used or half.com for the most part.

I've kind of wanted to try www.paperbackswap.com for awhile.

The library is also an option for me, but I still like to have some stuff on my shelves to read as the mood strikes because I never know what I'm in the mood for.

Audiobooks generally come from the library, either on CD or more frequently downloaded from their free service.

I'm really addicted to audiobooks. :dreamy:

George, should we update one initial post to show what we are reading, or just post another post?