1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Re-introduction of sorts

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by lordkovacs, Dec 3, 2015.

1. lordkovacs

lordkovacs Well-Known Member

Hi all...

If you see my join date (2004), I've been back and forth on this site since very soon after its inception. I can say in all honesty that, back then, it was a huge part of my success. Back in 2005 (I lurked for a bit before finally taking the plunge) I weighed 255lbs., was constantly tired, didn't have confidence, and was bordering on depression. After meeting people here and enlisting their help, things turned around. I lost 80lbs., got down to 10%BF, ran a half marathon, did my PT cert and THOUGHT I'd never look back.

I was wrong.

Two kids later and countless excuses, the weight has crept back a big. I'm not back to the 255 lbs, but am north of 200, closing in on 220lbs. I have tried to start but, for whatever excuse I came up with at the time, I just never got back, really. But now, and having read John's article on Excuses, I am ready. And what's more, I have a partner to do this with--my wife!

I am planning to turn my garage once again into a fitness studio, a place where we can feel comfortable and make it our home base of sorts. I used to have a similar set up in my basement, until I sold all my stuff having told myself I didn't have the room any longer with kids -- excuses, excuses.

I am starting to turn the garage this weekend. Here is starting equipment:

- olympic bar and plates
    - adjustable db's and plates (can't afford set of hex yet)
    - treadmill (I already have one that is very, very good quality)
    - power rack
    - adjustable bench
    - BOSU -- already have one

We will be buying flooring, but looking for suggestions for something economical -- those squares sold at fitness stores really add up! I do have 4x8' plywood to put underneath the power rack. Ideas?

I also have stereo, mounted tv/dvd and wall mirrors that I can install once I finish painting. I'll send pics after.

Anyway, glad to be back and hopefully for good.

Best,

Mike:bb:

2. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Welcome back!

Regarding flooring, I've found that the 4' x 6', 3/4" thick horse stall mats at farm supply stores (in the States, places like Tractor Supply or Family Farm and Fleet) are very resonable -- often as cheap as $24.99 when on sale. They work great! :tu:

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Welcome back and I wish you and your wife success!

4. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    +1 on the stall mats... but unless you have a heavy duty vehicle, you'll probably only want to buy/transport one at a a time... they weigh around 100lbs and it's a workout just getting them from point A to point B!

Welcome back!

5. FreeYouNow

FreeYouNow New Member

Hi Mike, when you lost all that weight the first time, and got in shape, what were your main motivators?

Was it to run the half-marathon? To get PT certified?

Just curious what your "Why" was at that time, and what it is now.

-Paul