1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Random Thoughts on Lifting and Life

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sea2Sea, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Well i guess its time to start a journal. I had some fun doing the January challenge i have started to miss updateing progress reports. So i thought i would make a record of my wife and I's never ending journy of a healthy life style. I am commiting to doing updates 5 times a week, no weekends. As with the Challenge i try and stay away from computers during my time away from work. I spend way to much time on them , some times goofing off as i am doing wrting this journal.
    I just finished my first ever true bulk. Inspired by John and the forums at JSF. I have lived a fairly healthy life style since loseing 80 lbs back in 1995. But have had my ups and downs over the years. As it utrns out mostly from not doing my research on true fitness techiques. But thats all behind me now. After joining this site back in November i have learned more about fitness than i have over the other 40 years of my life. My Wife Terry and I are both cutting as of this writing. Two weeks into it to be exact. I am at 194.4lbs 5'9" problay 20% BF but thats just a guess. I hope everyone enjoys reading this journal as i am looking forward to it. Please feel free to comment give advise or tell me that i am completly off base on any topic. Happy lifting :bb:

2. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Mondays work out.. Legs day. or at least it turned out that way. I am doing MWF split for lifting with HITT on Tuesday and Thursdays.
    I have five work outs targeting each main area. Back gets its own day, legs , bicepts/arms, chest, shoulers. All lifting days include at least one compound exceresise many times two.
    I plan on this for the first 6 weeks of the cut. Then will change it up some to keep the old body guessing.
    But that not why i am writing, yesterday i noticed something odd. I was out with my wife at the Swap shop. Its a glorified flea market here in South Florida. Now i am not that big of a guy. But am in pretty good shape. And will be in excellent shape by the end of this cut as far as astedics. What i noticed for some reason was how out of shape almost everyone else was. I dont want to sound mean and i know everyone is differnt but the obbesity problem really stood out yesterday. I just wanted to say Get off your you know what and try eating healthy for a change. And it wouldnt hurt to at least walk around the block once or twice a week. Then agian i made these observations drnking 16OZ bud lights. but hell i earned them in the gym all week long. Ok its back to work, Have a great day all.:drool:

3. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:lol: yeah fat people noticing is a little too easy to do in the states these days.

best of luck in ur cut. :cool:

4. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Thanks Deja, I felt like i should have been handing out little JSF flyers..

5. the_dose101

the_dose101 Active Member

Man, I've wanted to do the SAME thing. As I've been going through my fat/weight-loss journey, you don't know how many times I've noticed people in the gym doing things lifting incorrectly, doing weak routines, jerky movements, and some people could use a tweak in their diets. There is also a personal trainer that shows up to work with a few clients, and she is just awful from the shit I've seen her clients do. I kind of just scream in my head now the things that I'd like to say to her/clients to fix everything.

Anyway, enough with the rant. Good luck on the cut! Holla.

6. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

I hear ya.. I work out in a home gym so i dont see the mistakes you are seeing.. but come on people wake up and take charge on your life and body. Ok Ok enough of my rant. Almost time to Squat !

7. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

I had a really good Leg workout yesterday evening. I am not doing the weight i was on the bulk, but i am squeezing 12 reps almost to fialure by the third set. If i complete 12 reps on three sets i add weight for the next time. I am tracking this on a homemade spreedsheet. I have grown to love squats. This is something i left out of work outs for years. But the results are fantastic. I also did walking lunges. The kids get a real kick out of watching me lung across the back yard. But i hope that my love of fitness inspires them to get off the My Space and out into teh gym. My 17 year old son surprised me when i found him in the home gym last weekend. I didnt have the heart to tell him he was going at it in almost every worng way there was. I just watched from afar and made sure he didnt try anything that would get him hurt. Well its back to work, tonight i am going to do some very intense HITT with my wife. 1 minutes stationsary bike, 50 yeard dash with 35lb plates, ten jumping jacks 50 yard dash back to teh bikes with the plates and back on the bike for two minutes, We will repeat this until we click off twenty minutes on the bikes. then finish up with another of my favorite Cardio, jump rope. should be about a 35 minute deal. She is going to hate me afterwards.

Happy Tuesday !

8. Bt443407

Bt443407 Active Member

I'd say about 90% of us want to do this. Not to sound like we are the end-all-be-all, know-it-all cult of weightlifting and dieting, but still, there are some basic things that everyone should know. It's sad sometimes, because people think its much harder than it is. Here are some things that I :rolleyes: to:

Friend: want one of these cookies I made?
    Me: No thanks, I'm on a diet.
    Friend: Why? You don't need to lose weight.
    (Not all diets are meant to lose weight - eating clean is considered a diet.)

*If I do 100 bicep curls, I'm going to be jacked*
    Typical female - *I'd lift but I dont want to get big muscles*

Some of the things that come to mind that make me want to say "WWW.JOHNSTONEFITNESS.COM" :lol:

Good luck with your cut!
    Brian

9. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Thanks brian, The cut is going great. I guess people will have to relaize at some point that taking care of your self is as implortant as anything else in there lives. Becasue if you dont you wont be around to enjoy it. Sea ya :jumping:

10. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Yesterday. 2600 calories eaten, 40/40/20 split. HITT cardio with the wife. She got hammered with the 50 yeard dashes caring 10LB DB, i carries 30, ten jumping jacks and another dash to the stationary bikes. we clocked 20 minutes on the bikes and did the dashes every two minutes. One mistake i made was doing this after legs day on Monday. I was already having some doms and yesterdays routine killed them. I was pretty sore this moring. But a good soar if you know what i mean. But i think i will not do the HITT routien after legs day agian.
    Tonights it s bicepts and Arms. I took Back out of the classic combo becasue the routine was taking to long. But i am going to crush bicepts tonight with some routien advice i got on another Journal.
    I will post some measurments next week, and one of these days post some pictures. Since i didnt really take any before pictures, My plan is to post a comparision picture at teh end of april. I have a picture that will serve as the before and a recorded weight for that day. So it should be interesting. april 30th i weighted 209. and that was afte losing 20 lbs from the begining of the year. The before and after should be pretty dramtic, as after april 30th i lost another 32 lbs. then discovered JSF and decided to go on a first ever bulk. Whitch was completed januray 30th. 1 week off and now the cut. If all goes as planed, i should be around 184lbs at teh one year mark. with all teh muscel i added with teh bulk i think i will be happy with the results. Happy lifting to all

11. Colin

Colin Active Member

Good luck with the cutting Steve, I have subscribed to your journal and I will be rooting for ya!

12. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Thanks colin..Same for your journal..

13. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

You know a great thing happened this moring. I am on a cut, 2 1/2 weeks into it and i got on the scale this morning. I have only lost 1.4 lbs. but have already lost an inch in my waist. Now i am not taking BF mesurements yet. I will need to start soon. But i know i have lost fat already be the measurements. So my goal of retianing the muscel mass from the bulk seems to be working. I might even venture to say i may have added a little muscel mass during the cut. I am definatly at a calorie deficiet. But my trianing routine is geared to more lifting than cardio. 3 days lifting 2 days HITT and one day of my choice. That usally ends up being cardio via biking on the beach with my wife on Sundays. I only took one week off between the bulk and the cut. I have to wonder if the body has not realy made the trasition yet. or that the muscles still grew some after the bulk was over. I plan on this routine for another 3 weeks when am going to change it up for varity. So if anyone has suggestions for a cutting routine i am all ears. I have really enjoyed putting together my own prgrame to see if it works. The best thing is it all comes from Research on JSF. I dont have to go looking all over the internet to piece something together.
    Oh by the way, i worked out yesterday too. Bicepts and arms. Wife did back. I added chin ups back to teh end of the routine. It was surprising how mnay i could do. I hadent done any since about week 3 of my bulk. Meals were clean and green. Except the relaxing couple of drinks i had , my favorite Diet Sprite and Segrasm V.O.

the only bad part was my 2 yr old grandson was over and he broke my favorite oversized shot glass. ..I am going to have to get that replaced soon..

well today is my rest day so its back to work and life. Hope everyone has a great day:neener:

14. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Yesterday was my day of rest, so i dont have any traiing news to report. Meals were very good though. I spent most of the day with doms in both the legs and arms. So it was a little tough getting around. Today is much better. I am looking forward to this sundays weigh in and measurments. I will post those here on Monday. tonight its shoulders and abs day. Then a nice relaxing eveinng of Star trek re-runs as the wife is out of town and i have free rain on the flat screen.

Have a great weekend

15. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Its was a pretty good weekend, calories on my off day saturday were right on even know i was working on the boats. Sunday included a 20 mile cycle down the beach. but i missed a couple meals, So not so good on the nutrition. I was way low on calories. I did do my weight in and measurements on Sunday morning before the ride. I was happy with the results. So here they are
    Weight 192.4 down 3.4 lbs since the start of the cut three weeks ago.
    Neck : 15
    Chest: 45 3/4 down one inch
    Waist: 34 down 2 inches
    Thiegh: 21 3/4 same
    calf: 15 1/4 same
    Arm: 15 1/2 down 1/4
    forarm: 12 same
    Hips 41 1/4 down 3/4

The differnces are from the start of the cut. I have three more weeks on teh current plan and then i will change everything up.

Have a great day folks. Sea ya tomorrow:bb:

16. Colin

Colin Active Member

looking good!! I know sometimes on the weekend it is hard to get all your food in

17. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Thats for sure, it was even harded on the bulk. But somehow during a cut it doesnt seem like as big as a deal when you dont get your calories, when in fact its more important.
    Have a good one

18. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

amazing progress for 3 weeks. :claplow:

now those are some wise words. :nod:

19. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

Okay, I just started reading your journal (and like it), but we're the same age and you're already a grandfather.

My brother is probably going to be a grandfather soon (his oldest daughter is trying), but I kid myself that because he's 3 years older than me, he's an OLD MAN. :neener:

20. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

Thanks Deja, The cut is progresing as i had hoped. and the wise words come from reading alot and listing to my body who was screaming for calories yesterday. But for some reason my head wasnt hearing it. I wont let that happen again.....

Have a fantastic afternoon.,:claphigh: