1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Raised heels with squats

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by NFOMan, Jan 23, 2008.

1. NFOMan

NFOMan Active Member

I recently read that by doing squats with your heels elevated (presumably with a thin platform) you put more emphasis on your butt.

I'm not sure I want this, and I thought I'd ask if anyone has an opinion.

2. Flows

Flows Active Member

I think that is poor form. Just make sure you are not actually placing your balance on your toes. Read this before you try it. I'm sure others will chime in with opinions on this. I can't say I've tried it myself.

#2 Flows, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It puts more emphasis on the glutes because you can descend deeper with the heels slightly elevated. You can also descend deeper by working on your flexibility, which is what Flows link advocates.

I wear weightlifting shoes, which have an elevated wooden heel inside them. I don't think there is anything inherently dangerous about a small heel. Problems arise when you don't use the larger ROM they afford -- your unshod flexibility is always going to be less than your shod ROM -- and when chronic deep squatting leads to knee injuries.

I would generally not advocate squatting on your toes (i.e. when there is nothing supporting the heels), though it has use in some specific applications (especially for bodybuilders).

#3 chicanerous, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  4. Flows

Flows Active Member

Great point about the heel. I wanted to make sure the OP was not attempting to squat on the tippie toes without something under the heel.

5. NFOMan

NFOMan Active Member

Squats with heels raised

Well, you know guys, I respect some of your opinions, but my experience tells me that the raised heels on the lift does put the emphasis on the butt-- BIG TIME! God, does my butt hurt!

But I think that that's OK (I have a punk butt that needs some serious crunches) I'm still looking for tough love on the glutes that the girls will dive for.

Go figure!

6. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

You've posted 2-3 threads now where you ask for advice, it is given, and you proceed to ignore it while insulting those who have given the advice.

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

There is only one exception to that when you add a calf raise to a plie' squat; where you are on your toes at the top of the lift. It's relatively similar to adding calf raises to deadlifts or shrugs. It's sort of the intermediate step to adding a jump.

8. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

I'd fall on my a$$

9. NFOMan

NFOMan Active Member

You know guy, I do take advice, and I appreciate sincere help. But I don't always respond publicly. I'm surprised you're offended. Hey, lighten up, we're all in this sh** together.

10. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I don't know what you're talking about here. But OK

11. NFOMan

NFOMan Active Member

So give me your fucking advice -- I've been using the raised heel approach for several months, but I can't tell any difference in by butt. Maybe there's a better way to stress the glutes

What's your take?

12. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I would say wide-stance squats, that's my fucking advice.

13. NFOMan

NFOMan Active Member

Yo, I guess we're on the same page 'cause I do duck squats that kill me. I think that's what you mean. But that does'nt have anything to do with elevated squats.

I appreciate your fucking advice.

14. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Squats are fun, but I think the truly fabulous butt comes from the deadlift. If your butt is talking back to you about your squats, it's time to load up a bar and pull it off the floor until it shuts up.

15. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

You asked what would help with your ass, and I said wide-stance squats. Heels-raised might help a little, but not as much. Try wide stance, if that doesn't work, try lunges, if nothing there, try bulgarian split squats, still nothing try glute-ham raises. There are plenty of ways to get a good ass workout in. :moon:

16. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Low box squats, bulgarian split squats, snatch-grip deadlifts, deadlifts, deadlift variations off blocks, reverse lunges, lunges, good mornings, romanian deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, unilateral deadlifts, full squats, reverse hypers, pull-throughs, glute-ham raises, prowler variations, sled dragging variations. The possibilities are endless.

#16 Pete5, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  17. NFOMan

NFOMan Active Member

what a mentor!

Thanks, guy! I've a lot to learn from you. My ass is scorched!

18. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

There's more than one way to scorch an ass. It's worth keeping track of all of them.

19. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well that right there can be the nuclear war on the posterior chain. They look stupid and you have to put in a little time to learn them, but once you get past the training wheels and kiddie load stage, it's your glute's worst nightmare. After a big set I often can't stand up or sit down. I sort of hang off a wall or nearby machine. Ironically in the gym where I normally do this, it's a glute kickback machine.

20. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Definitely, it is a tougher stability exercise than Bulgarians, but Bulgarians still make me more light-headed.

People are always so arrogant to even attempt unilateral deads even though they're one of the best posterior chain exercises out there.