1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. Chris "Swolecat" Janusz

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by John Stone, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

2. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

3. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I've been away from JSF for a while while stuff is going on in my personal life. I was shocked to see this thread.

Chris was an extremely difficult person but his heart was always in the right place. He talked sometimes how he got into fitness -- he was anorexic into his late teens and one day chose to go the fitness route. It probably explains in part his program's primary emphasis on diet.

I always saw a damaged child within SC-- his difficultness, to me, seemed to stem from personal insecurities and a core lack of sense of self. I would sometimes try to imagine what his childhood must have been like to develop such quickfire counter-attacks when his sense of defensiveness was triggered.

I always tried, as much as it is possible with virtual postings, pms and emails, to be consistently gentle and positive and affirming as well as respectful, even if I did not always concur with his views. Sometimes the careful treading was exhausting but it was always worth it. He always seemed to move forward with more self-assuredness.

JSF was my first brush with physical fitness and Chris's posts enabled me to see that in fact there could be a systematic way of approaching it when the information overload got too great. He was always generous with his advice to so many people; he had been extremely generous to me. We had a formal client relationship for a while but even after it ended he was always there to post or PM advice when he saw me stuck.

RIP, Chris.... Too young and too sad. My heart goes out to you and your family.

4. krackato

krackato Well-Known Member

I JUST found out about Chris's passing away today. That sucks.

I bought an SUP2 program from him. That thing really taught me a lot about fitness. I can't believe he's gone.

Maybe I'll dig that program out of my email box and give it another go. Peace Chris. Thanks for touching my life while you were here.

5. Wamsutta

Wamsutta Well-Known Member

Wow... bumping a semi-old thread, but this is shocking news. I've not been active on JSF in several years, but I was one of the first people to run Chris' SGX program when he came to JSF promoting it. I had fantastic results, and he was always a pleasure to work with (although I can very easily agree with the folks who say he could be abraisive/combative).

Really sad. Condolences and best wishes to his family.

- Matt

6. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Somehow I didn't see this thread until today.

When I was a client of Chris, I got the distinct impression of a guy who had a sincere passion for other people's success, and that's a rare thing in this world.

7. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

This is my first post in about two years.
    I just decided to lurk a little bit this morning, and was saddened to hear.

When I was in college, Chris decided that his program was too expensive for me and he made efforts to
    reduce his prices to help me out. He was interested in seeing me look my best, and that was it.

R.I.P. Swole

8. AC

AC Active Member

im so very sorry to hear. tragic news.

any word yet on what the cause of death was? why the secrecy? this is really odd. prayers goes out to his fam.

9. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

The cause of death was not released.....even many of his friends on other boards didn't know what happened.

10. AC

AC Active Member

don't they have to release the cause of death? did the family decide not to release it? im just curious is all. i don't know the law. my apologies if this is not appropriate. i realize that all that matters is he R.I.P. but its just so odd why he died so very young and he was so healthy.

11. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    One's death certificate is a public document, but does not necessarily have to contain the cause of death (it can be redacted after the document has been issued and before it enters the public domain.) In any case, the cause is not likely to be described in detail (e.g. "Lack of blood to the brain.")

If someone's death is suspicious or sensational, the media may pull the death certificate and conduct interviews to construct a story. The family of the deceased may also make a death announcement and share the details of his/her passing. Absent these criteria, however, the nature of a person's death is generally considered personal information and is only issued to immediate family or trustees who can provide estate information in the form of a will or living trust.

I don't think Chris' death is a matter of secrecy, just privacy. Nobody seems to know the cause. If his family had wanted to share it with the internet, they could have, and you'd have found an answer here already.

12. AC

AC Active Member

thank you M@ for that thorough response. respectfully, AC

13. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I just meant that the family did not provide SC's friends with any info on how he died. At least, not his friends who posted on various boards.

I know it is shocking .... he left this world way too early.

14. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

I didn't know Chris Janusz (Swolecat) but I've read a lot about him on this forum as well as several others. He was eccentric and outspoken, but definitely was a master at his craft.

If you're really curious about the official cause of death, just use your common sense. I totally respect his family's right to keep the details of his untimely death private. That notwithstanding, if his death was from natural causes (e.g. heart attack, cancer, etc.) or from an external act (e.g. car accident, murder, etc.), it would have been stated without hesitation and would have been included in the obituary. So obviously, his death was due to some other cause that the family does not wish to disclose (e.g. aids, drug use, etc.). I'm not speculating as what the cause of death was, I'm just telling you what, in all likelihood, did not cause it.

The important thing is to remember the man for what he did and not to focus on what may have been (emphasis on the word "may") his personal downfallings in life. At least that is the way I would like to be remembered. My faults are many, and like the Apostle Paul, I am the chief of all sinners; but I intend on finishing the race well. If I meet an untimely death, I would hope that folks would not have a fascination with how I died, but instead have an interest in how I lived.

15. AC

AC Active Member

i wholeheartedly agree there Mauidude.... and thank you for your concern of my question enough to respond kindly. I guess the reason im curious is that swole was kind of a role model for me (as im sure he was for others) faults and all. I guess a small part of me feels if i knew exactly what he died from I might have some closure in the mystery... if it was rec drugs or whatever It would give me more passion than i already do have to stay as far away from them as possinle....seeing that someone that was so healthy and in great shape could succumb to a possibly unhealthy activity flirting at the knife edge of life and death. I don't know anyone this healthy thats died of rec drugs or roids or whatever. Please dont label me as someone who is passing a judgement on what Swole died of (its all speculation)...im with everyone here... but using the common sense you are talking about we can infer certain things i agree. Im just respectfully curious. I mean no ill will or disrespect here. Please forgive me if thats whats being read from my post... cause thats not what im intending.... im just coming at this via the concept of learning from someones mistakes. Ultimately I know we will/might never know and it will remain a question... so I wont get caught up on this b/c i know the reality of this. I totally with a shadow of a doubt respect his families rights to keep it private.... that is my utmost genuine concern.

RIP Swole. You will be missed. Thnx for all you did for those who wanted to change their lives.

#55 AC, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  16. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

Speechless..

I was also a Chris' client. After John's endorsement, I did SGX a couple years ago and it changed my life forever. I also went back to him for SUP2 and have been listening to on and off versions of it for quite some time. I know it's been a while but my condolences to everyone that was close to him, especially his wife/children.

RIP SwoleCat

17. Gus.

Gus. Active Member

I understand this is an old thread but I just learned of Chris' passing. I was reminiscing with a co-worker of my days in the gym and told him about the programs I would do through Chris. I went on google to look him up to show him and all of the initial results revealed this terrible news.

Like many others have stated Chris was an instrumental part in my approach to fitness 5 - 6 years ago. Under his program I learned a wealth of information that I still remember today.

I remember one email very fondly where I told him that I was "eating a shitload of chicken" for protein asking if it was OK and we had a good laugh about it.

I haven't logged on to JSF for 3 years and I wish it was on better terms. What a terrible loss.

RIP Chris.

18. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

I only just came upon this thread, too. I remember he had a few followers here making good gains on his programs.

I'd also be interested in knowing the cause of any 37 year old's passing, but it's been a few years now and no posts I see online.