1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. Chris "Swolecat" Janusz

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by John Stone, Jun 18, 2009.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Over the years Chris and I had a fairly turbulent relationship; if I'm being completely honest, I must admit that sometimes I really disliked him.

So, that said, his untimely passing has had quite an unexpected effect on me. He and his family have been at the fore of my mind all day long. It's just so damn surreal when someone so young and full of life is suddenly gone forever. I feel sad and shaken.

I lost my dad when I was a boy, and knowing Chris has a young son is hitting home.

Maybe Chris' final "post" is this: health, family and friends are everything. Don't ever take those things for granted.

Rest in peace, Chris. You'll be missed.

2. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

Sad news indeed...Chris helped me last year look into the art of getting swole and was very cool about it. shitty news to here he's gone :(

Pete

3. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

I have to agree, he and his family have been on my mind all day too. I never had a relationship with Chris...business or personal...but I was a contributing member of his forums for quite some years beginning in late 2004. I considered him an "internet friend".

I've been scouring the internet trying to find out what happened to no avail. His forums have been surprisingly inactive today as well. It's very strange there's no "story" behind this???

4. MeanStang

MeanStang Active Member

sorry to hear it. i was shocked too. ive been reading posts by him for years, hes helped a lot of people learn more about bodybuilding.

5. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

I worked with Chris briefly a few years back. I'll be honest that I wasn't a fan of his program, but he was very pleasant to work with, responded to emails quickly, and he has helped many people succeed in their fitness goal. This news is both shocking and very sad. My thoughts go out to Chris and his family.

6. Mirvio

Mirvio Well-Known Member

Another returning from lurk mode - I'm completely shocked. I posted on his forum only a few days ago. Such a sad loss, and what a top guy. Loved his CAPS LOCK and really long sentences. Man, he'll be missed.

7. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

I'm stunned to have learned of his passing! :(
    I had am SGX cut with him a few years ago and he was a great guy to work with, and he taught me alot.
    Deepest of sympathy to his family and friends, he's a big loss to the industry. May he rest in peace. :cry:

8. probelia

probelia Active Member

I followed SGX last year and I had great results on it.

Very sad news indeed.

Sincere condolences to his family.

9. ebatch20

ebatch20 Well-Known Member

Wow.. very sad and shocking. I was a client of his for over a year. :( My thoughts go out to Chris and his family.

He will be missed...

10. Bt443407

Bt443407 Active Member

This is so sad to hear, he was such a great help to many. My heart goes out to his family and friends..

And, excuse me if this is inappropriate or the wrong time, but is there any reason to suspect steroids or some other supplements as the cause? I know how dedicated he was to his fitness and I certainly don't believe he was taking them, but when someone in that kind of shape dies at 37, it raises a red flag.

R.I.P

11. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

Still no cause of death that I can find, but this guy confirms steriod use.

12. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

I know that this person has already raised the issue.

http://blog.anthonyrobertsonline.com/2009/06/swolecat-deadcat-rip-christopher-janusz/

13. Quigzy

Quigzy Well-Known Member

It is a shame that when you google his name an awful lot of the results that come up are forum threads where someone questions his methods and he replies with a fierce personal attack on them, then saying he doesn't care because he is earning loads of money and they are losers. He sometimes came across as a petty man (at least online) and the news of his steroid use saddens me, especially seeing how stringently he denied it to his clients.

That being said, the messages of grief that are online are numerous, and 37 is far too young for anybody to die. Also, it must be remembered that this man devoted a large proportion of his life to helping other people, no matter what personal gain he achieved, and there are a lot of people that owe their increase in quality of life to him.

14. needachange

needachange Active Member

Very sad news indeed.

From what I've found online the subject of steroid use with Chris was early on in his career. He was a very health concience guy from what I've read about him.

He use to moderate on steroid forum boards so I don't know why you would do that if you didn't know something of the subject.

There is no info that states prior health issues or a terrible accident.

Prayers to his family and friends.....RIP Chris.

His website is no longer up anymore.

15. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

:(

16. CuTe PoIsOn

CuTe PoIsOn Active Member

Sad news indeed, Ive had many exchanges of conversation with Chris, but I had no doubt he was using gear, As far as the cause of detah go's, its still unconfirmed but Im steroid abuse is probably among the most talked about problem.

17. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

His website is now offline :(

18. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

On the phone a friend of mine told me about this sad news. I came out of lurk mode tonight to share a quick story.

Over the years Chris and I had a number of debates (public and via email/PM). He and I did not always agree on every training or nutrition issue. But these debates and differences of opinion are not what I will remember the most about him.

A few years ago I posted some new pictures on this forum. Out of the blue, a few days later, I received a PM from Chris:

Chris had no reason to take time out of his day to send me this PM other than to give me a "pat on the back." He didn't have some other motif, he didn't have any reason to kiss up to me, he simply wanted to make someone feel good. And he did make me feel good; I really appreciated his kind words.

Dextrose vs. oats post-workout, HIIT vs. LISS, mixing carbs and fats, I won't remember these debates in a few years. What I will remember for a long time though is when Chris was nice to me for no reason other than to be nice.

Rest in peace. And my sincere condolences to the Janusz family.

19. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

Wow, I've got no words. I wish the best for his family.

20. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

He's a well-known juicer, also an advocate of ECA stacks. Any updates on what happened? Very sad news to hear. May you rest in peace and your family be comforted.