1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Question: Lifting tempo

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Ender85, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Thought it was pretty clear and direct. (insert confused symbol). Oh, well. lol-anyhow, lift how you want. As I said before, I don't think your results will suffer particularly.

2. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

At this point I'm going to be content if I ever stop hearing references to the trainers over at T-Nation... :rolleyes: I have nothing against these trainers as they are probably excellent, but for discussion sake it presents as a very limited viewpoint. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm not overly impressed with the "over-hyped" type of sites like T-Nation, Muscle Mayhem, Intense Muscle, HST...etc...etc? There may be lots of good information there that I might be short changing myself on...But for me, training goes way beyond simple hypertrophy and LOUD marketing. (though SURGE is one of my favorite PWO drinks)
    If anybody needs links to other trainers sites, I've got lots. :lol:

#102 Kino, Aug 23, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  3. glenn_001

glenn_001 Well-Known Member

Our bodies were'nt really designed to have excessive muscle either. ;)

4. jsbrook

I don't know what the problem is. You yourself said that you thought those articles of Waterbury's and Thibadeau's were very good information. And you are impressed with Charles Staley's approach to training. These are all good strength coaches. I'm not saying they are the only ones. They happen to contribute to T-Nation. But that's not all they do. They train clients directly and design excellent training programs that can serve as general guidelines as well. They also have excellent backgrounds and understanding of physiology and know how to help people meet their goals. The fact that T-Nation overly hypes and pushes the Biotest products they sell does make the training programs and theories of its contributors any less valid. I'm also not sure how limited the viewpoint is either. The contributors (Staley, Waterbury, Thibadeau, Eric Cressey, Mike Robertson, etc...) don't always agree with each other.

5. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

I actually like Biotest products...I mentioned that they are most likely excellent trainers, but due the way that the site is marketed it's just not my cup of tea. Call me ignorant. :D
    LATE EDIT: If I was reading their information anywhere other than T-Nation, I would most likely think much more highly of each of them.
    LATE LATE EDIT: OK...I'm just being an unsubstantiated, over-opinionated douch bag. I've just got serious issues with big red "T's" :lol:
    LATE LATE LATE EDIT: The way that T-Nation is presented, I have a difficult time taking anything associated with them seriously. Personally, and this is just me...it wouldn't be my one stop site for all of my training information.

#105 Kino, Aug 23, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

789 is probably best left where it came from. And we don't have Bert on this web board to make those controversial Rule 789 interpretations and amendments. :lol:

I'm still waiting to see a picture of COBRA. Money... mouth is... proof in the puddin'... blah... blah... blah...

-R

7. COBRA

COBRA Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

You'll have a long wait.Though you can bet your bottom dollar,that i would piss all over you.In every department.

While on the subject of pictures.Why not post a picture of your skinny-assed self? I could do with a laugh.

8. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Better be careful, Big brother is watching.

9. jsbrook

That's cool. That's really my point-if the information itself is good, it shouldn't matter what site it's coming from. But I understand where you're coming from. The presentation doesn't bother me personally. I just wade through the bullshit and absorb the substance. T-Nation isn't my one stop site, personally. It's just convenient, condensed, and easy to cite when relevant topics come up here and elsewhere.

10. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I really don't want to get involved here since I just got a reaming from Big Brother but i've gotta say that behavior is totally unacceptable. That's rude my man!!!!!

11. Bluestreak

I'll scratch my head on that one, but I really haven't been paying attention to this thread beyond seeing how this asshat is yanking on the forum's proverbial pigtails.

I've seen people like him come and go on forums that require an armored skin to survive. This type of poster is useless beyond the fun you get from poking them with a cyber-stick.

My pictures are all over my journal. Have a look. If that's skinny and/or out of shape... you're fucking blind. I've seen more asshats like this come and go from more forums... all talk, no action.

The coolest part is... knowing what he'll never be... and never understand.

-R

12. jsbrook

Who cares what he says? I don't. In my book, the credibility went out the window when the personability went. And for other reasons besides attitude as well.

13. COBRA

COBRA Well-Known Member

You're right,it is.But,there's a flip side to that statement.I'm not here to take sh1t ,no dish it out.

Treat people with respect and you will receive the same.

14. COBRA

COBRA Well-Known Member

The internet is a wonderfully safe place Bluestreak.However,in the real world,you would'nt get away with it quite so easily.

You call yourself big? :rolleyes:

15. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Kino, I completely understand what you're saying. The ass-kissing over at t-nation is sometimes sickening (since a lot of the kids who post there take everything said by the guys who on the site as scripture).

But then again, I do have to admit, since they do have such a big following (more than any local trainer or even a PhD physiologist in a large university setting could every wish or want to have), they can test their training programs, dietary suggestions, etc on a HUGE population (huge is relative) and then get tons and tons of anecdotal feedback to see what actually worked for people, and what needs to be changed for future programs.

I know, for instance, Chad Waterbury lives by all this feedback and anecdotes to create new and improved programs. He has such a big following, and he really loves the feedback- it fuels his ideas. I mean, hell, he's only a grad student, but he's a smart guy, and some of his early programs are clearly the work of a somewhat beginning trainer, and his most recent articles are quite sophisticated. I think all the writers over there will admit their programs aren't by far the best, but they work. And you should try everything out to see what works for you. I like that approach.

And I'm sure the money from selling supplements doesn't prevent the guys over there from writing articles.

16. Bluestreak

No, in fact... adjectives I often use to describe myself would be "runt", "miniscule", and my personal favorite... "small in stature". I would say I've got a great physique in the making and well defined, but huge? Nope. Huge isn't my goal, either. Looking good while naked is my goal... pretty much, that's it.

While I'm still addressing you, let me say this...

I've had the privilege of meeting real members of the Special Forces as well as two members of SEAL Team Six over the past couple of years. Those men are heroes and while I respect all our servicemen, I respect those highly trained men as I have no other military serviceman. I don't just respect them for what they can do and what they do for this country - I respect them for the humility with which they carry themselves despite the abilities they have. That is the mark of a truly outstanding US servicemen. Woe be the day someone like you is counted among their numbers.

Anyone who talks like you do isn't much of anything but a childish boor. How's that for hiding behind the Internet? I can't be more blunt than that. The people on these forums know who I am, know I'm real, and know I'll be here. What are you to them? Just read the opinions of the other members over what you've posted. That should give you an indication of your worth in these forums.

Have a great day!

-R

17. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

I think quite a few people in this thread need to sit in the corners and face the wall as a time out. No need for all of the attitude.

18. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

Sorry I took so long to respond to this. CW was not promoting the tempo for the 10x3, but stating you want to lift at the same speed of the 3x10. You don't want to lift faster or slower or else the benefits he is aiming for with the workout will be wasted.

I agree that tempo naturally drops when you progress through a set like your 9/9/7/5 example. If a workout emphasizes tempo, or keeping the same tempo, then you would not be doing the workout correctly by slowing down. You may be using too much weight, and have to lighten the load to complete the workout properly.

Well, there would be a major difference between 10x3 and 3x10. For one, most people cannot do 3x10 @ 80% 1RM in good form. So, for 3x10 you may be using 75 lbs (60% 1RM). In that case you are lifting 2,250 lbs total. 3,000 lbs is clearly more work than 2,250 lbs, and assuming the same tempo for both exercises, then its much more work and that more beneficial.*

Looking at it from a tempo only standpoint, then I believe you are incorrect, too. Assuming you do 100 lbs for 10x3, varying the tempo is another variable. Instead of just having weight * sets * reps = total weight, you can factor in tempo.

For example, a 311 tempo would look like this:
    100 * 10 * 3 * (3 + 1 + 1) = 15,000

With a 414 tempo, it would look like this:
    100 * 10 * 3 * (4 + 1 + 4) = 27,000

I don't have a unit for that, but I would call it "work" if anything. The total work you do will vary with the tempo. So, I think tempo is important to a degree.

* Another note is the goal of the stated program. With CW, 10x3 @ 80% is only week 1. In week 2, it is 10x4 @ 80%, and in week 3 it is 10x5 @ 80%. If somebody could do 3x10 @ 80% in good form in week 1, its doubtful they could do 3x13 @ 80% in week 2, and 3x17 @ 80% in week 3.

19. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Cobra seems to bring it out in people.

20. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Sooooo. How's everybody enjoying their day thusfar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.