1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick lat pulldown question

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Happy Monster, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

On looking at the ExRx page on the cable lat pulldown:
    http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBFrontPulldown.html

I noticed that the guy in the animation leans back a lot more when he pulls the cable down. I always try to keep my position straight and pull down in front of me without leaning back. I always thought it was bad form to lean back that much.

However, should I be doing this, or does it not make a difference?

Thanks. :)

2. dodus

dodus Well-Known Member

I find that a little bit of a lean helps me reduce the involvement of my shoulders. I think it's just a question of where you want the emphasis of the movement to be. The kind of lean that I'm pretty sure you don't want to do is the one where you throw yourself backwards and rely on the momentum generated to get the bar to your chest. That one's not so effective.

3. HeavyGuy

HeavyGuy Well-Known Member

The way I understand it is the more you lean, the lower the affect of the exercise in terms of location on the lats. Basically to work the lower lats, lean back. To work the upper lats, don't lean back.

Could be wrong though,
    Heavy

4. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Fit Show vid with Milos Sarcev I saw in a thread on down the page in this section. He talks about angles and how it supposedly works different parts of the muscles. Pull downs are at about 3:50 I think.

5. airforcePTL

airforcePTL Well-Known Member

That's a really useful video, thanks! Interesting concept by hooking the bar instead of gripping it. Obviously, I would have to lower the weight but as long as it emphasises the back muscles, I don't mind. I'll try that on my next back workout! One thing I didn't like as much was pulling the bar behind the head. I feel that you are more prone to injure yourself with that form. But then again, that's just me. Looks as though it works for them lol

6. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I injured myself doing wide grip lat pulldowns several years ago, and it took quite a while for my rotators to get back to being functionable. Now, I rarely if ever, do pulldowns, but if I do , I'll use a reverse grip,(IMHO the best lat builder), shoulder width overhand grip, or close hammer grip with thumbs over the handle.

Ironically, sometimes it takes an injury to discover a movement more effective. Since switching to chinups ...not pulldowns, my back has seen much, much better improvements.

On rare occasions when I use pulldowns, I'll do them at the end of my workout. But I like to do them in a very strict style which eliminates the possibility of cheating, thus potential injury:
    Seated, try doing them with your back facing the weight stack or try them sitting on the floor (directly behind the seat) with your legs splayed out.

However method you use, including pullups and chinups, keep your lower back arched, chest high, and scapula's pinched together.

7. tyciol

tyciol Active Member

Both ways of doing it are fine, what you choose probably depends more on what you're trying to do. If you stay very vertical, you might even pull behind your back, which makes it somewhat of an 'adduction' movement. To be totally upright and pull with a narrow grip would probably mean you're using a lot of elbow flexors to dominate.

Leaning back changes the angle of a pull a bit, like if you did it a lot and your elbows were only bent ~90 at the bottom it'd be like a row. Being upright seems important at the top when the arms are straightening up overhead for a stretch and stuff, but leaning back at the bottom could help keep tension on the back, so it seems okay.

8. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I think the "lean back" works best with the parallel-grip pulldown device.
    Your hands are no farther than a few inches apart.

This parallel grip OMO also works best with the "lean back" chin-up, where you start the chin fron vertical and as you go up you arch your back and try to pull the device to your mid-core.

If you try to lean back on the wide-grip palms-forward pulldown you are negating the effect of the pulldown on the Lats somewhat.

I never pull behind my head...I think it is too hard on the shoulder joints.

Do the lean-back/arch on parallel grip chins and don't lean back on the wide-grip pulldown.

9. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Given that he posted the question almost 6 years ago, I'm guessing that he is probably made a decision on the issue by now. :)