1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions No One Will Ask

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by autumngirl, Mar 28, 2013.

1. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member

I have questions related to training especially with weight and will post them in one thread.

Question 1: What are the advantages and disadvantages of dumbbells vs. barbells? What is the difference between training with dumbbells and barbells if you use the same total weight for each?

Question 2: How should you react to the follow training situation and identify the causes / solutions:

1) You cannot push the weight, not because it feels heavy, but you don't have power to push it, you could push it last week and the week before.

2) You cannot complete the number of repetition as much as you did from last session.

3) Your heart starts to beat too fast and does not go back to normal, you feel dizzy and lightheaded.

4) Your session time starts and you are not motivated to perform any training

5) You feel sleepy after your workout and find yourself forced to nap.

6) You feel tightness in your muscles that you cannot perform an exercise with the correct form.

7) You feel pain at top of your head and / or headache when you push the weights.

8) You feel slightly aggressive after you started your training plan.

9) You cannot finish your usual 30 minutes session because you are too tired.

Your opinion will be highly appreciated.

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Dumbells don't let your strong side help.

The other questions seem rest or diet related.

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    1) Using the same total weight for Dumbbells or Barbells means you could be going heavier on the Barbell. Dumbbells will cause you to work extra to stabilize the weight.

2.1) You don't always progress in a straight line. There are peaks and valleys in training. It could be you're tired. It could be you have a brain tumor. There's a wide range of reasons you didn't do as well in the gym today as you did last week.

2.2) See 2.1

2.3) How fast is your heart beating? This is where a heart rate monitor comes in handy. Either way, stop working out until the dizziness has passed. It may be that something you put in your body is messing with your bloodstream (e.g. Caffiene, Diphenhydramine, etc.) It may be that you just pushed yourself hard. Keep working out and your endurance will increase.

2.4) If you don't feel like training, train anyway. This is the dividing line between success and failure. If you never see any gains and never feel like training, then there may be a deeper physiological issue.

2.5) If you feel sleepy after your workout, good job! If you can't spare the time for a recovery nap, try getting some quick energy (e.g. eat an orange) immediately after your workout and see if that helps.

2.6) If your muscles are tight and you think you might be risking injury by performing an exercise, skip it. Find an alternative. Do not skip training. Work the muscle when it's recovered.

2.7) If your head hurts while you're lifting, breathe. Don't breathe explosively or in fits and starts. Breathe deeply and deliberately. Exercise requires oxygen.

2.8) If you feel slightly aggressive after you've started your plan, good. You may be producing some anabolic hormones. Go negotiate a better rate on your credit card.

2.9) If you're too tired to finish your session, get some food in your system and stay in your training area. Walk around. Do some low intensity exercise as long as you're not lightheaded. It's important to keep yourself acclimated to spending the full time you've committed to that environment in that environment and not on the couch/in the shower/in the car/etc.

4. autumngirl

Thank you, I like your view point on dumbbells.

5. autumngirl

1) Using the same total weight for Dumbbells or Barbells means you could be going heavier on the Barbell. Dumbbells will cause you to work extra to stabilize the weight.

I agree, you feel a certain challenge when you move the dumbbells.

2.1) You don't always progress in a straight line. There are peaks and valleys in training. It could be you're tired. It could be you have a brain tumor. There's a wide range of reasons you didn't do as well in the gym today as you did last week.

I'm on "listen to your body" approache, but body signals can be tricky at times.

2.2) See 2.1

2.3) How fast is your heart beating? This is where a heart rate monitor comes in handy. Either way, stop working out until the dizziness has passed. It may be that something you put in your body is messing with your bloodstream (e.g. Caffiene, Diphenhydramine, etc.) It may be that you just pushed yourself hard. Keep working out and your endurance will increase.

The heart rate would be around 150-160bpm, my resting heart rate is around 80-90

2.4) If you don't feel like training, train anyway. This is the dividing line between success and failure. If you never see any gains and never feel like training, then there may be a deeper physiological issue.

No, it is too strong that I could hardly perform exercises but I always assume that you break psychological barriers through exercise!

2.5) If you feel sleepy after your workout, good job! If you can't spare the time for a recovery nap, try getting some quick energy (e.g. eat an orange) immediately after your workout and see if that helps.

Good to hear

2.6) If your muscles are tight and you think you might be risking injury by performing an exercise, skip it. Find an alternative. Do not skip training. Work the muscle when it's recovered.

2.7) If your head hurts while you're lifting, breathe. Don't breathe explosively or in fits and starts. Breathe deeply and deliberately. Exercise requires oxygen.

2.8) If you feel slightly aggressive after you've started your plan, good. You may be producing some anabolic hormones. Go negotiate a better rate on your credit card.

Maybe I should start working out in the morning before meeting with boss/team.

2.9) If you're too tired to finish your session, get some food in your system and stay in your training area. Walk around. Do some low intensity exercise as long as you're not lightheaded. It's important to keep yourself acclimated to spending the full time you've committed to that environment in that environment and not on the couch/in the shower/in the car/etc

Thank you very much.

6. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

(1) Dumbells will help you even out the strength ratio on both arms.

Barbells stabilize the weight more because you are not using stabilizer muscles as much...unless you are performing certain "strongman " moves where you use the barbell as a giant dumbell.

That said , if you can perform certain exes with two dumbells consistently....you will often be stronger on the same move when you use a barbell instead.

Many people think that if you use dumbells only you will not be as strong as if you train with barbells.
    That could be true on certain compounds.......but it is not "overall" true.

It takes more grip strength when you use heavy dumbells on many exes.

Ever tried a one-leg pistol Squat holding a 90lb. dumbell in each hand?....for instance.

(2) If you find you are getting weaker instead of stronger on a push ex,
    because you could lift it last week and you can't this week........you are either overtraining on that ex or you are not getting sufficient recovery time.

(3) Sometimes dizziness and rapid heart beat during session is called "bonking". It can mean you are "out of fuel".
    It can also mean you are training too hard at a particular ex. especially
    such as HIIT, Hurricane Training, Crossfit HIIT, Tabata HIIT, etc. etc.

(4) Don't feel like working out....because.......Tired? Bored? Overtrained? Insufficent recovery? Wrong Diet? Wrong Fuel?
    CNS is overtaxed?....or......all of the above? Sometimes a day off does wonders instead of going "gym-rat" and working out because it is considered wussy by others that are also pushing themselves mainly because they think it builds character anf they think more is better.

(5) Reading your questions, it sounds like you are a good candidate for overtraining plus you are using weights that are too heavy to get "good form".
    Since "form" in all it's variations is often key to hitting a muscle effectively moreso than going "King Kong" and using poundages beyond one's ability.......I would recommend re-examining your training regimen
    and look for areas where you are doing too many of a particular ex in a week timeframe.

(6) Good Diet and sleep........if you are not getting enough of either....you will suffer.
    Key element for training is to make sure you are properly fueled before a workout ( have some easy digesting stuff about an hour before).....and properly fueled a half hour after (don't need a huge meal then.....maybe whey shake etc.)

(7) " You feel slightly aggressive after you started your training plan".

This could be CNS overload/lack of recovery.....where you start to turn into someone who will throw a chair through a window the minute someone sneezes.
    Some people who trash their CNS on a particular regimen feel like they could burst out crying over the smallest little thing the next day.
    And they have been men......so don't feel bad.....

(8) Dumbells are often better than a barbell for certain exes.....like when one is doing certain types of curls where you need to change from underhand to overhand all in the same ex. etc...
    or say something like an Arnold Press.......where the dumbell changes angle on the way up.

Here's what people forget about the CNS (Central Nervous System):-

It controls hormone and glandular output to a large extent. When you overtax it, it starts to go haywire...and will not produce these things like it should. It will also output Cortisol under great duress....and this is what you don't want.
    Those that say "I will work out no matter what...I will work out even if I can't stand up..I will work out even though what I really need is about 8 hours real good sleep....."....these are the people that are asking for CNS/hormone/glandular problems. Stress hormones like Cortisol will actually eat muscle.

As far as "character" goes...your muscles/CNS couldn't care less if you're Britney Spears sister, or your mom is Margaret Thatcher's second cousin or your dad is a direct descendant of Abraham Lincoln.
    All a muscle cares about is :- 'You trashed me on Monday, you didn't feed me right, you didn't rest me right....and now you want me to do the same thing again on Wednesday. Well I'm not going to..so there."

So if you continue to work it past it's recovery rate......it will not perform and your CNS will start to make your life miserable for a number of reasons.

You need your CNS in top shape so it can perform in harmony with growth hormones and recovery.

Look after your CNS and it will look after you.....disregard the "gym-rat" theory..which is:-

"I must be at the gym 7 days a week for 10 hours or I'm not doing it right and I must train regardless of what my body is trying to tell me"

Train smart, listen to your body, treat yourself right, get good rest and fuel....and things should fall into place for you.........

#6 HevyMetal, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  7. autumngirl

I think you are reasonable about the possibility of being overtraining. If I go back to my history with fitness, It would usually start a healthy lifestyle of diet and exercise for few months that would end up with: chondromalacia, strong flu, allergies issues, each time until I no longer exercise for the rest of the year. I push relatively light weights of 4lbs but they feel challenging. I think my approach toward fitness is not the right one, it required more patience until my body/CNS readjust to my new lifestyle. I had many old bad habits such as insomnia and stress/stress/stress most of the time. Thank you very much.

8. HevyMetal

Well.......heavy exercise,especially with weights can easily be a form of stress.

If you are the kind of person who is stressed out over various issues even when you are not involved in an exercise regimen, then IMO you should address this .

I don't know what your current exercise regimen is.....maybe you need to pick a type of plan (like Yoga etc.) that relaxes you instead of putting stress on top of stress.....?

9. autumngirl

I made a small search on symptoms of overtrain CNS/adrenal fatigue, they are present such as elevated resting heart rate, high body fat percentage, inability to sleep or stay sleep, frequent sickness, etc.

My current exercise regime consist of weight training with dumbbells of 4lbs full body workout three times per week for 30 minutes per session.

I feel I am stressed, for no good reason, it could be life changes, but when it started the symptoms were sudden weight gain (8-10 kgs) and elevated resting heart rate while being awake, trouble sleeping.

10. HevyMetal

If you don't mind me asking.......what is your age?

and......maybe you could post a typical workout that you do....

11. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I've seen and read portions of your journals and I would be willing to wager that almost all of your issues stem from a lack of proper nutrition and nutritional planning. I would personally modify the training you do, too, but that is a tertiary issue. You under consume food unequivocally from what I've seen.

Every symptom you mention, I have experienced during periods of fasting or on days that I miss planned intake by a wide margin. Do you track your food intake?

12. HevyMetal

AutumnGirl:- I too just went and read some of your journal..

In this thread you write that you use 4lb dumbells. In your journal you often write about your workouts and certain exes per "resistance" training.

From what you write and the length of time you've been at it...I would think you would be going a tad heavier than 4lbs by now......

What's up?......I notice you are in your mid-twenties (prime of life) so you should be stronger than you are.

I personally think (from your journal posts) that you are quite concerned about your overall "shape"...that is , you are bulky through the hips and and slight and narrow of shoulder/upper body.

You would like to get rid of the hip bulk it seems. (Even though this could be genetic to some degree).
    Mastover wrote a little training routine for this over in the Female Training threads I recall just recently.

Is this possibly why the diet is always "out the window"?

Like FatLenny said:- you have issues with diet......and you seem (from your posts) to often prefer junkfood over anything else. (Junk food equals junk results).

Do you even take Whey protein in any form?

13. autumngirl

I am almost 30 years old.

I started a 10-weeks program since January 2013.

My weight training routine using dumbbells and a bench for 30 minutes, 2 to 3 sessions per week:
    1. neck/upper trapzius: upright rows
    2. middle and lower trapzius/latissimus dorsi: bend back rows
    3. deltoids: reverse fly/shoulder press
    4. quadriceps/gluteus: squats
    5. hamstring/lower back: deadlifts
    6. chest: flies
    7. abdominal: crunches
    8. lower back: back extensions on stability ball
    • The number of sets and repetitions are 1x12, 1x10, 1x8
    • The break between sets is 30 seconds
    • The break between exercises is 1 minute
    • Each dumbbell weight varies from 2 lbs to 6 lbs.
    My typical cardio (I only managed to do few sessions during the 10-weeks due to many symptoms that occur while the exercise like chest pain or feeling lightheaded):to climb staircase of two floors (up and down) 1 minutes then slow paced walk for 2 minutes. The total duration is 10 minutes, the number of sets is 3 only!

My original plan was to complete 12-weeks program but had to take a break because I could not finish most of my workouts on the 10th week.

14. autumngirl

No, my plan was to use my body's judgment and honestly I always felt like I am eating too little. It is not easy to consume around 1500-1800 calories per day. I am probably eating around 900-1000 calories in past few days because I no longer desire to eat, my plan not to go below 1500 calories per day to lose 0.5 kg per week. My weight has dropped from 71kgs to 68kg (3 kg) unfortunately it has stopped at 7th week around the time I started to eat less food, no longer desired food.

It feels like "too much" food to eat.

#14 autumngirl, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  15. autumngirl

You probably read my older journal when I was in my mid-20s. I am almost 30 years old now.

Most of my cheat meals are relatively good choice of quality food in good restaurants but I would eat pizza/burgers/diet cola/cheesecake occasionally.

No, I don't consume any Whey Protein, most of my protein comes from chicken/lean meat/fish fillets/tuna/broccoli/beans/peas/milk.

I had health issues and was advised by my doctor to work my way slow and steady, started with 20 minutes once per day, moved to 30 minutes three times per week, that feels like an achievement. I know I will be strong in time but must stick to a fitness program.

#15 autumngirl, Mar 29, 2013
  16. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

It shouldn't be that hard to hit 1500 calories. Unless you're going really low fat 1500 calories isn't a huge amount of food. If you are going ultra low fat remember your body needs fat just like it needs the other two.

On the heart rate. A high heart rate when working out if you're healthy shouldn't be an issue. What you need to watch is how long it takes for you to recover.

Do something to make your heart rate spike. Then sit down and relax. See how much it drops after 30 seconds. After 1 minute.

Remember one of the reasons you work out is to spike your heart rate.

17. autumngirl

Actually, I would most likely "feel full" when I reach 900-1000 calories after my lunch time and will no longer desire to eat/skip snack/dinner time but my body needs fuel, therefore would most likely eat a piece of cheesecake or wake up in mid-of-night to snack.

I am healthy, but if you read my journal, my resting heart rate is relatively higher than most. My doctor commented on my recovery heart rate not good, but it has improved overtime.

18. autumngirl

I will post one day food nutrition details:
    Total fat: 68g (saturated: 21g, poly 4g, mono:13g)
    Total protein: 126g
    Total carbs: 178g (sugar: 76g, fiber: 15g)
    Total calories: 1707 calories

19. HevyMetal

Aut/G......ever had your blood pressure checked? This can have an effect of lightheadedness if it drops too low for some particular reason.
    Usually exercise will raise the blood pressure temporarily.......but at the end of the session it could drop also.

A six pound dumbell is obviously heavy for you....so when you are exercising it would feel comparable to heavier weights that other bodybuilders use....

but...

I notice you only have 30 second break between sets. Whereas generally if the resistance is high weight (or feels like it is in your case)
    most go about a minute to a minute and a half between sets.

But it all depends on the effect your 6lb dumbell has on you per set.

If (as I noted in your journal) you are trying to reduce hip/butt size and also make your upper body look bigger:-

Then perhaps you might want to drop the Squats and the Deads and substitute steady slowpace LISS type cardio ..e.g. slowpace eliptical. But hang onto the upper body work.

Because:- Squats and Deads work the hips, thighs, quads, legs, butt.

They get bigger when you resistance train them.

On the other hand, endurance exercise (high rep------low weight)
    even such as walking will not make your muscles bigger...in fact it could make them smaller.

Because:- for endurance muscle the fuel system in the muscle needs to be as efficient as possible...and the most efficient endurance muscle for fuel transport is a smaller muscle. So high rep---low weight endurance exercises can and will actually make the particular muscle smaller in many cases.

Because of your problem with resting heart rate (90 to 100 bpm I read in your journal...which is darned high......and really high for someone who trains on a regular basis):-

I would forsake fast cardio like HIIT or homegrown versions thereof for something less intense with longer duration.......like slow pace/low intensity eliptical steady state etc...or walking (you can walk on a treadmill, but dial it down to leisurely walk pace.....)

Sometimes loss of appetite can be caused by depression.....due to stress and other things.

The fact that you never feel like eating is quite peculiar......but I'm sure there is a professional answer to explain it.

#19 HevyMetal, Mar 29, 2013
  20. autumngirl

Aut/G......ever had your blood pressure checked? This can have an effect of lightheadedness if it drops too low for some particular reason.
    Usually exercise will raise the blood pressure temporarily.......but at the end of the session it could drop also.

My blood pressure is normal.

A six pound dumbell is obviously heavy for you....so when you are exercising it would feel comparable to heavier weights that other bodybuilders use....but...I notice you only have 30 second break between sets. Whereas generally if the resistance is high weight (or feels like it is in your case) most go about a minute to a minute and a half between sets.
    But it all depends on the effect your 6lb dumbell has on you per set.

Your assessment is correct. My resting period gone down from 1.5 minutes to 30 seconds in past three months, I think it is a natural respond because the weight starts to feel less challenging but if my calories intake is low that muscle won't be strong enough to push more.
    I am using 12/10/8 reps per set, should I do more?

If (as I noted in your journal) you are trying to reduce hip/butt size and also make your upper body look bigger:-
    Then perhaps you might want to drop the Squats and the Deads and substitute steady slowpace LISS type cardio ..e.g. slowpace eliptical. But hang onto the upper body work.
    Because:- Squats and Deads work the hips, thighs, quads, legs, butt.
    They get bigger when you resistance train them.
    On the other hand, endurance exercise (high rep------low weight)
    even such as walking will not make your muscles bigger...in fact it could make them smaller.

I agree but I am not concerned about hip size, that was my older journal goals, my upper body is definitely bigger now.

Because:- for endurance muscle the fuel system in the muscle needs to be as efficient as possible...and the most efficient endurance muscle for fuel transport is a smaller muscle. So high rep---low weight endurance exercises can and will actually make the particular muscle smaller in many cases.

That is true, I use this approach in my squat/deadlift the 8lbs feel light for my lower body.

Because of your problem with resting heart rate (90 to 100 bpm I read in your journal...which is darned high......and really high for someone who trains on a regular basis):-
    I would forsake fast cardio like HIIT or homegrown versions thereof for something less intense with longer duration.......like slow pace/low intensity eliptical steady state etc...or walking (you can walk on a treadmill, but dial it down to leisurely walk pace.....)

I'll keep this in mind, thank you.

Sometimes loss of appetite can be caused by depression.....due to stress and other things.
    The fact that you never feel like eating is quite peculiar......but I'm sure there is a professional answer to explain it.

I am under stress but I assumed a healthy lifestyle of eating clean and working out would lower my stress levels. In my past experience, after starting any fitness program, I would usually become too meticulous about my nutrition intake until I no longer desire to eat any food, that would usually be the end of the program.

#20 autumngirl, Mar 29, 2013