1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about MAX-OT and the Stepmaster.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Einar, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

Hello guys and girls!

I had a look at the pdf about MAX-OT the other day and saw that I allready use some of the principles during my work-out. Though i have some questions about the paper.

It says that you should make 4 to 6 reps per set. What I've heard from others are that if you make that few reps per set you only get good looking muscles but you won't get so much raw strenght (if you know what i mean). In my training-sessions I make 8 reps/3 sets. What do you think about this?

And about the pdf. It would be good if you had some more information about the author of the pdf and how he came to his conclusions, it's not very academic the way it is now. Though I haven't read all of it so I will not say to much about this.

There is also another thing i was wondering about. I just started with the Stepmaster and I really enjoyed the sweat it gave me, but I don't really know how much time I should put on this machine. The first time I used it for 23 minutes and it felt great but is there a way you can calculate how much calories you should burn and such so you know how much time on it you need (to loose like 5 kilos for the beaches in the summer) :)

/a guy from Sweden that recently found this site.

2. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Hi Einar,

Welcome to the forums :tu:

With the 4-6 rep range you are actually going to make great strength gains. Its always been thought that a rep range of 1-6 increases strength while a rep range of 6-10 increases hypertrophy (bigger muscles). Its only in the last couple of years that bodybuilders have been lifting with rep ranges this low and getting hypertrophy gains. So if you do 4-6 reps you will get bigger muscles but you will prbably make better strength gains.

With the stepmaster are you doing continuous training or interval training like HIIT? With continuous try working at 70% effort for at least 20-30mins. With HIIT do periods at 100% and rest periods at 50-70%. and progress through the stages (eg.4 mins up to 15mins) DOnt worry so much about calories burned, its difficult to calculate accurately.

Its hard to give you much more advice withiut more info.

Marcus :tucool:

3. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

Hello Marcus!

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm considering to make some changes with the amount of reps now to 4-6 and try it out for a couple of weeks and just watch my result. :)

About the cardio-workouts I tried the interval-training. I typed in my weight, 85 kg (i don't know what that is in lbs or pounds or what it is that you use over there :)), and pressed the burn-fat button. It went from 100 to 20 percent in intervals of about 20 seconds. I will figure out how to program it tomorrow when i return to the gym.

Is an interval-program that I use any good or should I program it manually?

Some background:
    I'm quite new to weight-lifting. Last summer a friend of mine asked me if i wanted to go to the gym with him and I began to try it out for a couple of weeks. Then my studies and lazyness took over and i went slack for two months or so. But during this period I have also dropped eating candy and chips and stuff like that. The only thing I have left is beer in the weekends. I lost 10 kilos during that time and I'm proud of this. Anyways.. to get to the point of my blabbering I want to loose some of my love-handles I still have and thought cardio should do the trick.

4. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

No Probs Einar,

If you are a beginner, I wouldnt start off with 4-6 reps straight away. Begin with 8-10 and after about 4 weeks start lowering the reps and lifting heavier.

With the stepmaster you can do the programs and see how they test you. I dont use the programs I just start off slow, them bump up the resistance so I'm goung at 90-95% effort and then after a minute bump it back done and repeat 10-15 times. I find I can control it better that way and get a better workout.

If your not used to high intensity cardio just take it slowly. Just keep experiementing and keep listening to your body.

Marcus :tucool:

5. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

Okey, Since I've just taken up weight-lifting again I will stick with my 8/3 reps for a couple of weeks like you said, and then lower it.

I will start and experiment with the stepmaster also. Thanks for the info

6. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

i think most people do theit HIIT manually, most of these machines are aimed at the casual market, and they don't want the extreem form of effort changes we're aiming for. My bike has programed routines but i ignore them and just manually change it as required for my HIIT.