1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Question

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by CAA, Mar 18, 2009.

1. CAA

CAA Active Member

I right now have no kind of machine for cardio at home right now. i thought either a treadmill or an elliptical. pros and cons would help. any advice would be awesome!

2. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Its just a matter of personal preference. Some swear by one, others by another. I know some who just do cardio via dvd workouts (Power 90, etc.). As for me, I prefer a recumbent stationary bike, but this just me. Treadmills will take up more room than an elliptical, so the room you plan on putting it in is also a consideration.

Its all a matter of your price range, what you like doing, etc. If you have access to a commercial gym, go down and try a few out and see what suits you the best.

3. witeowl

witeowl Active Member

All I can really share is personal experience. (I got an elliptical.) pros of an elliptical: less joint wear, more bodyweight use than bike, more full-body workout than bike/tread (with handles) cons of an elliptical: doesn't fold up, can't use it to hang laundry (wait, is that a con, or a pro?)

The decision-making factor for me when I chose an elliptical: For most of the year, I can run and bike outside; I can't "elliptical" outside. Oh, and Mauidude hit on a good point: No one "needs" a cardio machine. There are plent of ways to do cardio without one. (Jump rope also comes to mind.)

4. dickev

dickev Active Member

I have both at home.

Treadmill is a more natural movement, but the main problem is the pounding action, which puts some stress on your back, hips, knees, ankles and feet. But if you are young and fit, that's all good.

Elliptical does not feel as natural (mainly because your legs are slightly abducted i.e. held apart), which is my main problem with them. Also, the upper body workout is pretty minimal. Importantly, dont bother with an elliptical unless you have plenty of money to spend, as they really need to be heavy and stable. A second hand Precor or SportsArt from a Gym is a good option.
    However if you need to minimise strain on your back and joints, an elliptical is fantastic.

Overall, I would say go for a treadmill.
    But if you are older or heavy or carrying an injury, go with the elliptical.
    If you can afford it, get both and alternate during your workout. That's what I do and it makes it much less boring.

#4 dickev, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  5. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

You don't have to plug in an eliptical.....and they are quieter than a powered treadmill.

You don't have to lube or replace a belt...and the motor won't pack it in because there isn't one.

They are easier on the knees and joints.

My eliptical will work the upper body too....if I use the levers.

My eliptical takes batteries for the "program" and automatically changing the intensity during same.

I've only replaced the batteries once in 4 years....and I use it lots.

Heart-rate-wise it can put me in the stratosphere if it wants to.

If I use a couple of dumbells as well on it in each hand...it's even more intense.

And there's less chance of accidentally falling off than a treadmill.

I think for the same money you'll get a better value in an eliptical.

Most of the treadmills I see are way overpriced with a bunch of bells and whistles that you'll never use.

I do own a treadmill as well....but it is one of those non-powered jobs.

I use it strictly for when I want to walk but the weather sucks outside.

Because it isn't powered, every step you take is an effort.

That is what I like about it. It can glaze me over with a pate of sweat in no time just from walking....which,when I'm walking in real life doesn't happen.

I picked it up at a used goods store about 2 years ago for 30 bucks.

The belt is still A-Ok...I did lube it a couple of times tho'...

I've gotten my 30 bucks back in spades on this rig.

The non-powered ones are fairly cheap to begin with.....I don't ever plan on buying a treadmill for running.

But I love the little non-powered walker job......:)

6. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Everyone's points here are really excellent. I am lucky that I live in a building that has "cough" a gym "cough" in the lower lobby (no free-weights). I has a fair range of medium quality cardio equipment.

I alternate between the treadmill and the elliptical -- I like that -- so I would go with the recommendation of getting both -- but if you have to get one - I would go with the elliptical -- for the reasons already stated -- the most important to me would be that I can't "elliptical" outside and I can do everything I do on a treadmill and more outside.

7. Falhurk

Falhurk Well-Known Member

Personally I enjoy the elliptical whereas I am not fond of the treadmill. To be honest, I think I would get the best benefit from running outside. Perhaps that's a better alternative, weather permitting?

8. RDR

RDR Well-Known Member

I bought a treadmill at Christmas time after approx. 8 yrs. of doing most of my cardio on a bike.

I really wanted a treadmill mainly because I don't want to be one on those guys in their 40's who can't run any more.
    I have used different elipticals in the past - but it's not the same as running, at least it's not the same to me.

I coach my 10 and 11 year old daughters' soccer team every summer - I really look forward to running around with them during practice & I'm always amazed by how many other dads struggle to move faster that a quick walk.:rolleyes:

9. dickev

dickev Active Member

I know this is meant for your own use, but that reminds me of another important point:
    You need to be REALLY carefull with kids around treadmills.
    They are very dangerous. The motors on them are very powerfull and they wont stop if a toddler catches their hair in the belt.
    Should be OK for 10 or 11 year olds if you supervise them or trust them to wear the safety cut-out cord. If they fall and the motor does not cut out, the belt can act like sandpaper on the face. That has happened to a friend's child, but it was'nt too bad.
    It amazes me that treadmills are now being marketed for children.

#9 dickev, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  10. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

It's too bad they don't build treadmills with a "Deadman's Throttle"....that is, some kind of switch or lanyard that the moment you come off them accidentally for whatever reason.....they automatically stop.

Maybe they do build them with these....but I've never seen or heard of one.

11. witeowl

witeowl Active Member

Heh heh... Well, they do still include them as clips on strings that you're supposed to attach to your clothing. I typically see them wound tightly around the arm of the treadmills at the gym. Honestly, though, I never use them. I also jaywalk. I suppose the former is more dangerous, though. :blank:

12. RDR

RDR Well-Known Member

...both of my daughters do use the treadmill - always with the safety cord
    from day one, the rule for them regarding all of my fitness equipment was use it correctly - or stay away from it.
    What I really have to be careful of is any friends they may have over - it's always so temping for them to try to run backwards on the treadmill or through a few dumbells around

....of course I never use the safety cord :D

13. RV8

RV8 Active Member

I always think about "biting-it" when I'm running on my treadmill. Running along, lose my balance, my teeth meet the bar and said teeth get shot out the back via the tread. Treadmills are dangerous, but then again, so am I.

14. dickev

dickev Active Member

I must confess I dont wear the safety cut-out cord either.
    The cord swings around a bit and I have caught it in my thumb while running on occasion and stopped the machine.
    I am such a bad-ass thrillseeker!

15. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

They're both fine, but I would recommend the following instead, at least for now:

1) Join a sports team.

2) Do your cardio outside (in the neighborhood, the track at school, jump rope, etc.).

16. RDR

RDR Well-Known Member

If I use the safety cord I will catch it with my thumb and pull it out at least once per run - I think an unexpected rapid deceleration from 9 mph to 0 is probably more likely to make me fall than drifting back a little to far on the belt:confused: