1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Question for the ladies.....PMS

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by cgram23, May 27, 2004.

1. cgram23

cgram23 Well-Known Member

Sorry to invade you space, ladies, but I have a question for you. My wife has had severe PMS ever since I've known her. She is also recovering from depression......which just added to the PMS......it wasn't pretty. Anyway, she has come a long way from the depressive state she was in, and she's doing much better, however, every month, a week or so before her period, she gets severe cramps and drops back down to a depressive state. Not nearly as bad as she was, but she will just lie there and sleep for 2-3 days. Then.....just like nothing happened....she's back to normal. I've done some research into ways of preventing/reducing her PMS symtoms, and we'd like to avoid more drugs (she's already taking drugs for the depression.....which doesn't seem to help the PMS). I've read that switching to a diet, very similar to the one preached on these boards, and an exercise routine, can significantly help with PMS. I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences. And if so, did diet and exercise help?

2. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

Yes, diet and exercise will definitely help. Big time. :tu: Taking birth control pills can also help alleviate PMS symtoms.

I get PMS, and it used to make me a pretty amazing bitch. Now however, with the good diet and exercise, I just become a moderate bitch. :p :D

3. shyapril

shyapril Well-Known Member

Taking the pill definately did the trick for me!! It kept me from staying in bed for four days in agony! However I still had some cramps, severe headaches and nausea. These simptoms almost disappeared when I started swimming / water aerobics. The only thing the pill and sports didn't take care of is my sensitivity... I can easily start crying while watching the comercials, I keep writing my friends telling them how much I love them... :o yep! That can only be taken care with lots of kisses and hugging!! :nod:
    Sports will also help with the depression recovery. Let your wife find a sport where she feels ok and wellcome. That is very important and will do the world to her self confidence and the way she'll face life. I know that... trust me there...

4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My PMS comes and goes for aparently no reason. I had killer PMS in high school, so much that I had to call someone to take me home from school a few times a year because of it.

Two things that were essential during PMS bouts. No caffeine, and try to exercise. The last thing you want to do in the midst of huge stomach cramps is exercise, but she really try to do as much light to moderate exercise as she can manage. For me, I was usually only able to manage stretching, or a nice long walk.

Since high school, it's never been so bad again. I don't know if I can attribute that to diet or not. Anyway, now I know the secret weapon to alleviate my suffering. Click here for the secret to the best PMS relief. :o

5. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

Another thing to think about

One reason that PMS and Depression is alleviated by the birth control pills is because you might be suffering from a hormonal imbalance. Apparently, 50% of depression cases could actually be misdiagnosed hormone trouble. Hormone imbalance can cause a number of symptoms including irritability, sleepiness and depression. You should have her go to the dotor and get tested, it only takes a blood test. For some reason, most doctors never even bother to test this before medicating for depression. Since she is getting irritable a week before her period it most definately has something to do with the levels of estrogen in her body. It really drops before a women has her monthly flow. I would check it out!

6. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

Cgram23, what you're describing sounds like it's more serious than your average Jane's PMS. This is something she should see her general practictioner about. It is not normal to sleep for 2 or 3 days from PMS. While I'm glad you've turned to us for help, sometimes it's better to ask a doctor who is trained in these matters. She may be referred to an endocrinologist, a gynocologist, or a psychiatrist to treat her problem, and they can prescribe medication that will get her back to her normal self. If you are concerned about being over-medicated, you can express this to your doctor and he/she may relate alternative treatments.

That being said, a good exercise and diet program can certainly ease PMS symptoms to an extent. I used to get HORRIBLE pains prior to my period when I was my heaviest (which wasn't that heavy). Now that I'm just a few pounds lighter, my period is lighter, and the pain is 100% gone. Thank God.

7. cgram23

cgram23 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, you guys. Trinity, we have tried everything you mentioned. Either the doctors she's seen are clueless (general practitioner, gynocologist, psychiatrist), or drugs just won't cut it. We're both also a little shell shocked, because when we were treating her for her depression, her doctor tried several different kinds of medication......most of which with unpleasant side effects.....before we found one that worked. So, you can see our desire to stay away from more medication if at all possible.

So, seeing as how we've already tried the doctor thing....I was hoping that a more natural approach might be effective. It's weird that going on the pill has been effective for some of you. We tried that a couple of years ago, and it seemed to make it worse.

8. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

Being on the pill has been a horrible ride for me. It made me much worse!! I have horrible side effects from it! I have finally(after 7 years) found a pill that works OK, but I still battle with PMS symptoms and a little depression. As I said before, I would get her hormone levels and her thyroid checked. That is what it could be.

9. shyapril

shyapril Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the pill takes care of everything... unfortunately. Maybe she was on the wrong pill, not every body reacts to the pill the same way. She may be ok with one pill and not with another.
    My sister in law had killer pains during her period. They only went away after her first child.
    I'm sure you want to stay away from doctors and medication. Have you tried chinese medicine? I don't know the english name for it but there is a treatment with needles (harmless) and massages. That is completely natural and she may react ok...

10. HeavenLeigh

HeavenLeigh Well-Known Member

Severe cramps can be caused by Endometriosis. Click here to research it. Unfortunetly, the only way to accuratley diagonse Endo is with a Laparoscopy (surgery).

It is not normal for anybody to experience that kind of pain and I suggest she see a doctor about the situation. If she has seen one (specifically a gynocologist) that hasn't helped, then she needs to find another doctor.

11. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

Acupuncture. The goal of acupuncture is to restore your body's flow of energy. I know from personal experience that it does offer pain relief. While it has its place, pain reflief is not solving anything. (If I chop off my finger and only recieve pain relief, the problem still exists, I just cant feel it)

You may want to check out progesterone cream. http://www.mercola.com/article/progesterone/cream.htm#
    I know women who claim this has done wonders for cramps and pain associated with that monthly pass-time. They even claim to have NO (nada, none) pain or discomfort what-so-ever. If your wife is willing to take "the pill", then she may be willing to take natural progesterone cream (though she claims she wants no more drugs).