1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about protein shakes/raspberry keytones

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by iixi, Jun 13, 2013.

1. iixi

iixi Member

I am still new to this...

I know enough that protein should be the center of your diet. Protein shakes I hear about a lot. I have tried things like the protein bars, muscle milk... but I am interested in the powder to make my own shakes. I hear a lot about whey protein, not sure of the differences. I am a 21/F trying to lose weight and tone up. Anyone have any recommendations as far as brands go?

As for the keytones. I started taking them as I heard they do good to suppress appetite and yadda yadda. The first day I took them I felt like it really worked wonders. I wasn't interested in food at all... but ever since that one time they don't work for me anymore.

I guess it's probably a placebo effect since they technically aren't proven to help with weight loss?

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Protein powder is simply a tool to assist you in hitting your macro goals....not much more. (The exception to this is drinking whey protein after a workout due to its relatively fast absorption rate...but honestly, we are splitting hairs at that point).

I rely on protein powder to help me hit my macronutrient targets....and that is about it. At the moment, I am trying to hit over 260g of protein on workout days. As an example, that would be almost 3 pounds of chicken breast.....no way I can get all that protein from solid food....I would be doing a lot of this -> :barf:

Don't get too hung up on the bazillion different proteins....and the OMG you have to drink 100% elemental whey protein within 0.3 seconds of finishing your workout crap....

Protein powder is simply a tool to help you hit your targets.

3. iixi

iixi Member

So I shouldn't worry too much about it since my goal is to tone up?

4. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Not sure you read my post. :blank:

It has nothing to do with losing weight, toning up, bulking, whatever....
    Protein powder is just one of many things in your toolbox. If you can hit your macros without it....fine.
    If you need it to fill a gap, then use it.

5. iixi

iixi Member

i'm confused I guess but I understand now

at this point I don't even have much of a plan yet but I see what you're saying. Is there a particular brand or type I should avoid or go for?

6. Spencer

Spencer Member

Like digital said protein powder should be a "tool" it should not be your sole source of protein. Too much of anything is bad but if you use it correctly it could help a great deal.

7. chris mason

chris mason Well-Known Member
    Official Sponsor

What he is trying to say is that protein is just one of the macronutrients (carbohydrates, fats, and alcohol being the others). Supplementing with protein will do little to change your body unless you are deficient in overall protein intake for some reason (which is unlikely if you live in the US and are not a vegan).

Protein supplements ARE sold by protein companies as some sort of miracle powder and I am sure that is part of your confusion (and most people believe the hype so you will hear them saying the same thing).

A good protein supplement is simply a low calorie (assuming it is just protein), high quality way to ingest some additional protein. A protein shake is great for after training because of that reason and the fact a lot of people don't like to eat right after training when you DO want to ingest some protein.

Protein shakes can also be good for low calorie diets for the aforementioned reason they are a low calorie source of high quality protein.

Watch this short video I made for a bit more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmlCsgUsT4

8. iixi

iixi Member

Got it. I have a couple proteins in playing around with. They help me meet my goal but i know i need to eat more protein dense foods too. :)

9. chris mason

chris mason Well-Known Member
    Official Sponsor

Right. FYI, if you are interested in a supplement check out my Nitrean+.

10. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Seriously.....best protein.....period.

I am ordering a mountain of it today while its 40% off.....:dance: