1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

question about MASTOVER'S routine

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by luka5, Feb 7, 2012.

1. luka5

luka5 Member

i found this on his website:

MONDAY:
    Squats 5x5-10
    Leg Extensions: 3x15
    Stiff leg Deads 4x10

TUESDAY:
    Incline DB Press 4x6-10 switch BARBELL
    Weighted Dips 4x6-10
    Cambered bar Skullcrushers 4x6-10

THURSDAY:
    Weighted Chins 3x4-6
    BB Rows 3x6-8
    Deadlifts 3x8-10
    BB Curl 4x8-12

FRIDAY: Seated BB Press 3x6
    Seated DB Press 2x8-10
    Seated Calf Raise 2x15
    Standing Calf Raise 2x10

i want to further bulk and need solid routine. i weight 80 kilos, 174cm height, 21 years old. i live in Poland. my maxes are: 105x3 kilos for bench, 160kilos for deadlift, 120kilos x8 for squat

routine above looks good but i have few questions:

1) first of all - very important thing - what kind of progression should i use? staright sets with same wieght for every set and up weight when i do for example 10,10,10,10,10 even though in first few set i could do few more? or going to failure in every set in a given rep range and if i do more reps than needed in 1st set i willl adjust (up) weight in next set?

2) do you think this routine will be suitable for heavy bulking? i dont want to show any disrespect, but Im very young and maybe this volume is too low for me?

3) when it comes to warmup sets, do you do them? i think about sth like 1-2 sets 10/5 reps with 50%/75% of working weight before exercises like bench, deadlift, squat, overhead press. is that ok?

and some exercise changes:

4) because of lack of equipment can i do 4x15 standing calve raises instead of bothseated and standing?

5) is it ok to replace incline dumbbell press with incline barbell press (30 degrees) - i dont have that heavy dumbbells?

6) is it okay to add few sets of lateral raises and leaning lateral raises to shoulder/calves day (after seated db press)?

7) i also wonder about adding FLAT BENCH PRESS as the first exercise on tuesday 3 sets x 6 reps. what do you think about it? but then i should probably also add some pulling exercise to back day..i dont know what to do in that case

i think thats all

+ abs/forearms throwed in 1-2 times a week

thank you kindly for your repsonse. and thank you for great posts on this forum. i've read many of them. all seem to be very sensible and informative.

#1 luka5, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

We will let "the man" answer you on that one....

If you PM him, I am sure he would be happy to help you out.

3. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Any routine that Aram has designed will lead to success. I imagine that he would answer your question by telling you that no fitness routine is ever "perfect" and that results using any program will vary based on the individual and their goals.

I would say that the routine was good enough for him to post on his website as one that he uses and believes in, and will get you results. Any tweaks that you would make to it would be something that you would want to go and measure results to adjust in an ongoing fashion to see if it works for you.

If you are serious and ambitious enough to try this out, you are clearly driven to succeed. Whatever plan you decide to use, just give it 100% and adjust as needed.

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

To the OP, I received your PM and sent you info regarding the routine and your questions. Hope everything was clear, and good look with the training. :)

5. luka5

luka5 Member

Yes i know, thank you a lot sir. I started today with leg day and was really exhausted. And i didnt believe you at first that it is ENOUGH volume ;)

120kg x 10 x5 sets squats are really brutal (at least for me at this level)

ps. by stiff leg deads you mean doing variation for hamstrings (keeping barbell in contact with body throughout whole movement, bend at knees slightly, dont deload barbell on the floor between reps, and also keeping weight on heels to emphasize hamstrings) ?

#5 luka5, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. mastover

Exactly. Keep the back flat and extend the glutes back behind you as if you were attempting to knock over a midget. :)

7. luka5

luka5 Member

thank you. i also found that keeping weight solely on my heels and keeping weight in conatct with body during ENTIRE lift help to emphasize hamstrings and utilize less lower back

btw are you planning to come to any show in Europe in the future?

8. mastover

Ha, well considering the fact that training for a show here locally in the states puts me on the verge of bankruptcy almost everytime out, traveling to Europe for a chance to win a trophy or two does not seem like an attractive offer, or an idea looming in the horizon any time soon. LOL. I appreciate the invite, honestly. :)

9. luka5

luka5 Member

understood :cool:

10. luka5

luka5 Member

and sorry to bother you again but is there any possibility to compress this routine

MONDAY:
    Squats 5x5-10
    Stiff leg Deads 4x10

TUESDAY:
    Incline DB Press 4x6-10
    Weighted Dips 4x6-10

THURSDAY:
    Weighted Chins 3x4-6
    BB Rows 3x6-8
    Deadlifts 3x8-10
    BB Curl 4x8-12

Seated DB Press 2x8-10
    Seated Calf Raise 2x15
    Standing Calf Raise 2x10

to 3 days (mon, wed, fri) ? i have every hard time getting 4 times a week to a gym...

so i just put calves with rest of the legs and shoudlers with chest&triceps...

MONDAY:
    Squats 5x5-10
    Stiff leg Deads 4x10
    Seated Calf Raise 2x15
    Standing Calf Raise 2x10

WEDNESDAY:
    Incline DB Press 4x6-10
    Weighted Dips 4x6-10
    Seated BB Press 3x6
    Seated DB Press 2x8-10

FRIDAY:
    Weighted Chins 3x4-6
    BB Rows 3x6-8
    Deadlifts 3x8-10
    BB Curl 4x8-12

is that ok?

#10 luka5, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  11. mastover

You say you want to bulk, but that you feel that the volume is too low. If you want to gain muscular bodyweight, the diet is going to be the most important factor. Next will be adhering to heavy, low volume training that focuses on major multi joint movements working in a progressive manor. Next will be sufficient time between training sessions with proper rest and sleep. As a general bit of advice without knowing your training history, diet, or anything else.... I would eliminate the Stiff Leg Deadlifts on leg day if you are doing conventional deadlifts on back day, or eliminate the conventional deads and stay with the SDL's. Eliminate one of the shoulder presses, and if you are doing weighted dips and weighted chins I would drop 1-2 work sets from each of them, and drop 1-2 sets from any direct bicep or tricep isolation work. For this to work you will have to make sure your pre, intra, and post workout supplement and nutrition scheme is supportive to your training and your goals. I would also make sure that the first two weeks are worked with sub;maximal (80-85%) weights and after week 3# you begin to add weight on your movements and perhaps take the last set of an exercise to failure. After 4-6 weeks I'd do a deload where you train with only 75% of rep max and begin again the following week with a bit heavier weights used on from first week. You MUST deload after 6-8 weeks. Take my word on this.

If you are interested in a more precise plan of attack to help you reach and exceed your goals, please PM me and I will send you my questionnaire.

12. luka5

luka5 Member

mastover, but it is your routine form your website:

MONDAY:
    Squats 5x5-10
    Stiff leg Deads 4x10

TUESDAY:
    Incline DB Press 4x6-10
    Weighted Dips 4x6-10

THURSDAY:
    Weighted Chins 3x4-6
    BB Rows 3x6-8
    Deadlifts 3x8-10
    BB Curl 4x8-12

Seated DB Press 2x8-10
    Seated Calf Raise 2x15
    Standing Calf Raise 2x10

and i just wanted to fit it into 3 days, because yesterday i get my work timetable and i will be able to workout only 3 days a week...
    i just wonder how to compress this routine into 3 days. maybe add shoulder presses with chest/triceps day and calves with leg day? i would be very grateful for you response

and how can i contact with you if i wanted to purchase your diet/training services? e-mail? do you accept paypal/moneybookers?

13. mastover

Oh, I thought you wanted to minimize the total movements as well. In that case your three day set up looks acceptable.

Please click on my mastover banner up on top of the page or email or PM me if interested in a personal plan of attack. :)

14. luka5

luka5 Member

ok thank you, so ill stick with that setup if it looks good

do you offer nutrition services too? i would be interested mainly in nutrition. i am 100% commited to what i do and i want be under your supervision. is that possible? I have work travel next week so ill start February 20th...

15. mastover

Yes, I absolutely offer comprehensive nutritional services. Send me an email at hamparian7@aol.com and I will send you the discounted packages I offer.

#15 mastover, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  16. luka5

luka5 Member

ok thank you. but im leaving tommorrow and will be back on next monday, so ill send you email then.

thank you again for awesome routine also : )