1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

question about eratic weight

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by jmike, Aug 12, 2011.

1. jmike

jmike Active Member

so, i have been helping my wife out a lot with a diet program, by my calculations her BMR should be about 2,250 a day

she has been taking in between 1,100 and 1,500 calories a day - with her average at or around 1,250 a day. this has been consistent.

she seems to be having erratic weight fluctuations. She will drop a few pounds over the course of a few days, and suddenly the next day it is back up, rinse and repeat.

I have been tracking her progress on a chart. If someone is interested in looking, I can PM a link.

I have only been tracking progress since July 20th, so there is not a whole lot of information.

any help is appreciated.

2. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

That is your problem, friend. She's a woman, right? :lol: You've got one cycle... don't underestimate hormones and water when it comes to the scale for a woman. They can do some wacky things to those numbers.

I'd suggest watching body dimension measurements for her more than weight. If she doesn't want to measure herself, have her pick a piece of clothing that is very form fitting and use that as a benchmark. If the clothing gets looser, she's on track. If the clothes get tight, well... it could be those damn hormones, but you are looking for a trend, not a few days of tight clothing.

I'd be willing to take a look at the info you have, if you'd like. It never hurts to have more than one pair of eyes looking at something when your trying to spot a trend or sort out a problem. Above and beyond everything else, make sure she knows you're behind her and that she is doing good things, even if the scale isn't moving.

My wife hasn't seen a lot of movement on the scale, but there is a noticeable difference in her shape. She is also improving her strength which has many benefits including improving insulin sensitivity and bone density. Sometimes I have to remind her that I am proud of the effort and love her no matter what shape she is.

Stay behind her. She'll get there if you two stick together. :tu:

3. jmike

jmike Active Member

thanks Lenny -- you're a good guy

i know her ... cycle ... you'll see it at the beginning of the chart

body dimension-wise she is complaining of her pants being tighter than they were

i encourage her every day and tell her how proud i am that she is eating so much healthier than she was -- once a day is not healthy

she is working almost full time and taking care of the house while i am away --- and the animals (3 dogs, 1 parakeet, 6 chickens) -- so she hasn't added in the exercise part yet :) --- i am so excited for her when she does though

i am happy for your wife too --- just the exercise is so good for improving someone's self esteem and general mental wellness.

i'm send a pm with the link to the chart

4. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Three weeks isn't very long.

How closely is the diet being tracked? Water weight can change a lot because of diet. Salt is the obvious. But so can other changes in diet.

Honestly for some people it's better to not look at the scale. Or at least not daily. If you do want to use the scale you need to use it in the morning. Before breakfast/coffee/anything but after going. I drink a litre of coffee in the morning. That's more then 2lbs

5. jmike

jmike Active Member

mostly we are tracking calories and protein right now

do a daily sum of calories

it has never been over 1550 calories --- to maintain the same weight she should be taking in 2106 calories

she weighs herself first thing in the morning - before consuming anything --- and after she pee's

she does it daily so that she doesn't forget - she knows if she only tries to do it on certain days then she will forget

6. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Sodium and carbs both result in extra water retention. If you have an extra 140 grams of carbs one day, you'll carry an extra 280 grams of water the next day. That's 10 ounces of water weight. I've had days that added 3 or more pounds of water weight from excess sodium and carbs the day before. It takes me around three days on point to flush it and get an accurate weigh in after that.

If she isn't tracking macros yet, maybe that is the next step for her...

7. jmike

jmike Active Member

excellent information -- i hadn't thought of the carbs, also didn't know they caused you to carry water weight

i will pass it along

thank Lenny, i appreciate the information