1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

(Q's) Help getting a woman started

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by makstaks, Jan 29, 2004.

1. makstaks

makstaks Well-Known Member

Hey,
    You know what, so many people have come to john's site now but its really tailored for men. When it comes to fitness, guys and girls are equally interested. I have someone in my family who needs and wants to get on a program but i can't give any good advice. How does she get started....

Weight 180
    age 50
    Height 5feet

Questions...
    1) Figuring out how many calories she should take?
    2) What kind of workout program? Intensity? She just wants to start out walking on a treadmill and will probably stay that way. Max-ot doesnt fit an older woman at all.
    3) Is there a good workout program for a younger girl in her 20's?
    4) Got website sources i can research?

Just wanted to put this out because i have a site as well and have girl-friends that are interested in fitness. I wanted to publish something to help them. If johns main site had info for women, he would be able to inspire females as well even without transformation pics.

2. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

Hi there :)
    I'm John's wife and I actually followed exactly what he did and it worked out well for me. I did have to cut way down on the cardio because I dropped too much body fat (faster than I could have imagined being possible really from 21% to 14%), but I probably could have just increased my calories considerably and that would have worked also.
    The only thing I did differently was that I just took a One a Day for Women and had only one protein shake (in skim milk) a day, as my supplements.
    I think it works well for women too :)

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Lisa's right; sound nutrition and good exercise habits are not gender-specific concepts. The same "rules" for obtaining a fit body and good health are applicable to both men and women, with a few exceptions such as safe body fat levels. The advice on my site will work for any dedicated individual who is ready to work hard, eat right and spend some time educating him or herself. I just happen to be a man. :)

4. workoutgrrl

workoutgrrl Well-Known Member

There's also this website, which really lays out any differences that should be taken into consideration for women (such as healthy body fat %, which is much higher for women). I found it really helpful as well as myth-breaking.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hussman1.htm

5. makstaks

makstaks Well-Known Member

Thanks, i was especially confused about the calories. According to the profile i posted, this womans maintainence level is around 1800 calories. So i will tell her to start taking 1800 calories and adjust from there. I think she is taking alot more.

Here was the confusing part. I have another friend who in her early 20's, a little taller but thin and wants to get fit. She is around 115. Is her maintainance level 1150-1300 calories? Thats so little and didn't sound right to me...i would have estimated 1600 calories for a woman that size.

6. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

No, 1150-1300 calories is not her maintenance level. "10-12 times your body weight in calories" is for someone who is "cutting" (on a fat-loss diet)! Her maintenance level is probably much closer to the later figure you quoted, anfd probably even higher if she is working out and/or ectomorphic.

7. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Well-Known Member

You can also tailor this information quite easily for a female - that's all I did to lose all the weight! Just takes some common-sense and a good understanding of health, exercise and nutrition :)

8. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

BlackBeauty, I saw your site and I'm very impressed! I hope you aren't annoyed, but could you post what you do? I am so overwhelmed with all the information I've been reading over the last week, from Max-OT to whey protein, I could really benefit from seeing how exactly a female might implement it. Would you mind sharing?

:tucool:

9. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

My $.02.