1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PWO Nutrition

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by iheartlamps, Dec 14, 2006.

1. iheartlamps

iheartlamps Active Member

How many grams of protein/carbs should I be eatting for my PWO meals?

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Meals - 40-60g protein and carbs depends on your goals, IMO. You won't get many blanket statements around here.

3. CL117

CL117 Well-Known Member

Personally...I have been consuming a 40/40 Prot/Dextrose mixture PWO and getting good results. Its something you have to play around with to find out what works best for your body.

4. iheartlamps

Ok I am cutting and I don't know a lot about pre/post workout meals...I usually eat 40g of protein 34g carbs and 28g sugar(2 scoops whey/some fruit) but im thinking of switching from fruit to oats. I also eat this about 5 minutes after my workout. I don't take any suppliments besides whey/multivitamin tablet, but I'm interested in Nitrean/Dextrous(?). What do these things do for your body. Sorry for all the questions I just get so confused and my gains aren't as good as I would like.

5. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

what he said...:tucool:

6. prawn

prawn Active Member

Dude, your missing out on a lot of great info by not doing an advanced search for "PWO"

7. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

Totally depends on your goals, stats, schedule, and the rest of your dietary outline. You didn't list any of that so it's really hard to answer an open-ended question.

~SC~

8. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

1st - Swole... his stats are in his profile (on the left) ;)

2nd - dextrose is a very easily digested sugar/carb and is used as a transport to deliver the protien to your muscles more quickly... and it makes your PWO shake taste AWESOME! :drool: :D

#8 Chameleon, Dec 14, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  9. CL117

CL117 Well-Known Member

You can say that again! I have to force myself to only use PWO and not in all my shakes.

10. iheartlamps

Goals:
    For the majority of my life I have been overweight. I was raised on fast food and for a very long time it showed.I am now trying to make up for it all. My goal is to get down to about 10% bodyfat and then start bulking up. One day I would love to have the type of body SwoleCat does. A lot of the information on the forums confuses me, I know I just need to sit down and read everything, but I am a bit lazy when it comes to reading.

Stats:
    I am 18 years old, I'm 5'10 weigh about 163 lbs and even though I don't know my actual BF% I will guess it's about 17%. I would like to put some pictures up, but I am horrible with computers and unsure how to do that.

Schedule:
    -Fasted LISS 5x a week(Mon-Fri)
    -Weight Lifting Split 5x a week(Mon-Fri)
    -Historical Reenactment Group 1x a week(Sat, Lasts 4-5 hours and I am on my feet and running a good portion of it...I also don't eat well on saturdays. I usually eat a bowl of cereal 1-2 hours before the event then eat afterwords and once more later that night.)
    -Sunday I do nothing

Diet:
    Meal 1 = 1 cup kashi high protein + 1/2 cup skim milk (I will probably stop eating this, I am going to try to not eat carbs till lunch)
    Meal 2 = 2 slices whole wheat bread + few slices of turkey + mustard
    Meal 3 = (Post workout meal) 2 scoops whey + some fruit(quantity/type varies) I take this right as I get done with my workout(not sure if it is recommended to wait a certain amount of time)
    Meal 4 = Usually another turkey sandwich
    Meal 5 = Chicken Breast with vegetables
    Meal 6 = Sometimes just 2TBSP peanutbutter or leftovers from meal 5

I hope this is ok as far as my info.

#10 iheartlamps, Dec 14, 2006
  11. dluc

dluc Active Member

I personally think you need to eat more - a lot more. Have you read through the stickies? There's great information there that will help you learn about your body. PWO nutrition is unique based on stats and goals. I thought I asked you to perform a search in an earlier thread:confused:

12. iheartlamps

I personally think you need to eat more - a lot more. Have you read through the stickies? There's great information there that will help you learn about your body. PWO nutrition is unique based on stats and goals. I thought I asked you to perform a search in an earlier thread

I am currently trying to eat more. Ill give you a list of what I've had today, tell me what you think please.

Meal 1= 2 Eggs, scrambled
    Meal 2= Chicken breast, 1cup vegetables, 1 cup brown rice
    Meal 3= PWO 2 Scoops Whey, 1/2cup oats, 1/2 cup blueberries
    Meal 4= 7 oz. Tuna, 1cup brown rice, 1/4 cup peanuts
    Meal 5= I plan on eatting 1/4c peanuts/1c broccoli
    Meal 6= I plan on eatting 1/2 cup cottage cheese

And I know you said to do a search. I hate digging through threads, but I'll I need to take this seriously and research a lot more.

13. dluc

dluc Active Member

Don't know how many calories that is, but again it doesn't look like enough. I would make the following changes:

Meal 1 - add 4-6 eggwhites and a cup of oats with some fruit.
    Meal 2 - This is good:tu:
    Meal 3 - I'd personally increase carbs, but this is all up to you.
    Meal 4 - Not bad.
    Meal 5 - This is not a full meal. Add a protein source like a slab of steak or another chicken breast.
    Meal 6 - Increase it to 1 cup and add some fat in there (flax/fish oil, flax seeds, avacadio, almonds, peanut butter, ...).

14. iheartlamps

Oats for breakfast? I was advised to try to avoid carbs my first meal...was that bad advice or should I just ignore it and eat the oats? or are oats not considered carbs?

#14 iheartlamps, Dec 14, 2006
  15. dluc

dluc Active Member

Oats are definately considered carbs. Avoiding them at breakfast really comes down to what you're entire plan looks like. It could have been bad advice or it could have been great advice depending on the context. I see that you're performing LISS in the mornings. Is this why you were told to avoid carbs? I can't comment heavily here because I don't do cardio myself, but I have read from others that perform LISS that they have had carbs afterwards with no problem.

16. iheartlamps

Ya it was because of the LISS, the guy said to avoid for at least an hour and that he himself avoids them for 3-4 hours after LISS.

17. dluc

dluc Active Member

Again, seeing as how I can't speak from experience, his word is probably better than mine.

18. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Eat a protein/fat meal after your LISS :tu:

19. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Why? I'm not doubting you, but I'm wondering what the basis for this is.

20. iheartlamps

Another question, at the moment I just take 40g of whey post workout. Is it ok to take more with my meals? The carton says 2 scoops is the daily serving.