1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

pumping iron with Arnold Swarzeneger

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by ChrisQ, Feb 2, 2004.

1. ChrisQ

ChrisQ Well-Known Member

I'm watching pumping iron with Arnold swarzeneger right now and I'm seeing these body builders doing things like the bench press and they go all the way down so the bar is almost touching their chest, but they only go up to where there arms are slightly more than 90 degrees.. Is this the way you're supposed to do a bench press? I always thought that you should be going close to fully extended at the elbows.

Thanks,

Chris

2. NME

NME Well-Known Member

The way they do it keeps more pressure on the chest and takes pressure off the elbow joints (which happens when you extend all the way or lock out at the top before you go back down).

The short answer is that they are right, but there's more to it than that. The rule of thumb is to not lock out and keep as much pressure on the muscle you're working as possible (which applies to all lifts, not just bench press).

3. ChrisQ

ChrisQ Well-Known Member

So I shouldn't worry about total range of motion then? I figured extending to almost locked elbows worked the muscle through it's entire range of motion so it should be better.

4. map200uk

map200uk Well-Known Member

Pumping Iron...what a great documentary :)

Yea i noticed what you said too, and wasnt sure, i usually go the whole way

but after what Famous said i may try it this way

Mark

5. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

I don't remember the scene in particular, but they could be trying to hit certain points on the exercise.

I have used the opposite exercise for chest for drop sets. Basically, I am working on the top part of my bench. I get in a squat rack with a bar and bench. I go really really heavy. The bar rest about 3/4 above my chest. I am only going to lift the weight the last 1/4 up. My partner is guiding because when I get to the top, I essentially, let the weight drop down till the rack catches.

It is a great way to work the last 1/4 movement if during your bench you find that is your sticking point in order to get more reps out.

6. KevMarks

KevMarks Well-Known Member

Pumping Iron is great. I remeber when PipesFranco brought it round to my house and we watched it. It's amazing, looking at bodybuilding in the 70's it really shows hom much things have progressed and how much more we know about it.

I noticed a few of the exercises where not done "correctly" I think this is due to the early stages of the sport when not much was really known or wrote about the subject. Weight lifting was a very new thing when pumping iron was shot.

7. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Watch Ronnie Coleman's "Unbelievable" video. He has some incredible workouts but his form is off on several of the exercises. These guys are so big and on so much gear that they can afford to be "imperfect" when it comes to form. The exception is Dorian Yates "Blood and Guts" video. Another incredible video with a former Mr. O. He takes you through his workouts and his form is textbook.

8. NME

NME Well-Known Member

Along the lines of Hobbes post, gear was one of the issues with the guys in pumping iron. If you watch "iron insights" (a feature on the DVD) you'll see Arnold confirm, among other things, that they were all on gear but as it was not illegal or as studied (to confirm the negative effects) it was not a big deal.

...of course, Arnold goes on to claim that today the IFBB does random testing of it's competitors, which is true only in the loosest sense of the term.

9. Lootrock

Lootrock Well-Known Member

When you guys say gear, I 'm thinking you meant support equipment like belts ^_^;. So gear is steroid? Most of the time when I do benching I go all the way down and up, but when I get a bit weaker I don't go all the way down to touch my chest or I'd wind up stay in that position(and there's nobody to spot me in the basement).

10. NME

NME Well-Known Member

Gear = steroids.

Not support equipment. ;)

Also, with bench, it's not necessary to go all the way down, you should however get fairly close. Some recommend getting as close as the length of a closed fist from your chest in order to get the same effectiveness out of the lift as if you were to touch your chest. The idea behind not touching your chest is that you cannot bounce the weight off your chest, which can cause injury and falsify your results. I personally go down as close as I can without touching my chest (a very small, almost immeasurable distance between my chest and the bar), which has worked rather well thus far.

11. Teg4e

Teg4e Well-Known Member

I've had two surgeries on a torn labrum in my left shoulder, and my physical therapist has recommended I not go too deep on bench press to protect it. Going down to your chest puts undue stress on your shoulder joints and it may have caused my injury. Many people do go down to their chest on bench press and never have problems, but if you have reason to worry, it's best to stop the movement a least a few inches above the chest. You still get a good pec workout.