1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Pull ups,I need help from pros!!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by rubito, Jul 22, 2010.

1. rubito

rubito Active Member

oh man! I think I have been doing my pull ups the wrong way.
    I have been doing them by holding the bar at shoulder level and it really should be with you arm in horizontal and bend you elbow 90 degrees,thats the level I should be doing it at...what do you all think?

#41 rubito, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Are you saying you want to reduce your range of motion by not going all the way up? I would stick with going all the way up for best results. Personally, when I do a pullup, my chin actually goes over the bar.

3. rubito

rubito Active Member

4. JoeSchmo

5. rubito

rubito Active Member

Its more easy or difficult,I will try tomorrow the different one.

6. JoeSchmo

I like the narrower grip because a wider grip is hard on my shoulders. For the above reason, I have more strength in a narrower grip, but some people like a wider grip better. By all means experiment and find out what works for you. Also, it is a good to switch grip widths every now and then. Good luck!

7. rubito

rubito Active Member

Well today I did the right pull ups , the ones that are slightly wider,I got up to 6 and I think I do them better this way than the ones on shoulder width,tomorro I will do it again and see.

8. rubito

rubito Active Member

Today I got up to 7 barely but its a progress jaaja,yeah!!

9. rubito

rubito Active Member

Yesterday I did 9 :D,it was really poor.
    Does it matter if I rest al little bit? because I can go up to 5 with out stopping,but I stop but I dont let go of the bar I just reajust my grip and do the 6 pull up,its just to reajust my grip because my arms cant handle it.

10. rubito

rubito Active Member

10/08/10

Finally I got up to 10 pull ups!!! I got up to 5 quick and from there on it was hard,I had to rest for a second to get a good grip again(but without touching the floor),and slowly I went 7,8.9 and 10,but it was really poor jeje

11. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Improving Pullups or Chins:-

Take some advice from Pavel Tsatsouline:-

When you pull yourself up (no matter what grip):- make a conscious effort to keep your shoulders low......AND......focus on pulling with your LATS. Do NOT focus on pulling with your biceps.

Do NOT "limp-grip" the bar....grasp it firmly and strongly.

Tense your whole body...and....tense your abs....(NOT to be confused with "sucking in your gut". Do NOT suck in your gut...instead, tense your abs flat but not sucked in.

WHY?.....this technique makes you overall stronger than just hanging limply from the bar like a sack of spuds, expecting your biceps to do all the work.

There is body-synergy at work in the tension method.

If you tense your abs you should still be able to breathe, albeit not as deep as un-tensed.

12. rubito

rubito Active Member

Great stuff HevyMetal,I pull with my LATS and I will try the abs thing to.
    But what do you mean by

Thanks!

13. rubito

rubito Active Member

I was thinking,instead of just trying to go up to 10 once,I can do more repetitions but with less pull ups every other day.For example:

Monday: 4 set of 5 pull ups
    Tuesday: try to do as many as I can
    wednesday:4 set of 5 pull ups
    etc.....

14. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

I agree with this.
    even if you can only do 2-3 reps with the added weight, it will help you with your progress.

As everyone said, it takes time. I would advise strongly against doing them every day. However, on the days you do them, work til exhaustion. Don't stop after 2-3 sets of 7 or 8. Keep going.
    Try pyramid sets ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1)

Try variations: From starting position, pull yourself up toward the left hand, with right arm assisting. Lower. Pull yourself toward the right hand, with left arm assisting. Repeat. I'm sure there's a technical name for this. Maybe someone here knows.

Try holding yourself up on bent arms.

15. rubito

rubito Active Member

Well what I did today was, 1 set x 10 pull ups I did my push ups and then did
    1 x 5
    1 x 4
    1 x 1

I was really sore afterwords.

16. rubito

rubito Active Member

I am going to include,every other day to do chin ups,so I can do some biceps exercises,because I cant twist my wrist to do the normal exercises with the dumbells.

Also I changed my pull up exercises,I am doing 3 pull ups 8 times,anothe day I will do 4 pull ups 7 times.What do you think forum?

17. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Like any other exercise, you make progress with progressive overload. 8x3 = 24 total and 7x4 = 28 total, meaning you've increased your volume by 4 pull-ups, which is good -- though just adding 1-2 reps every session or few sessions is also fine. If you're just sticking with bodyweight, in general, try to do more volume each session or week or at least the same amount in fewer sets. When your total volume becomes prohibitive in terms of the total time spent doing pull-ups, start adding weight.

#57 chicanerous, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  18. rubito

rubito Active Member

I am doing more each time every week,but my concern now is the time i use for rest,I rest 2 mins in between each set,should I rest more?

19. MT77

MT77 Active Member

If 2 minutes is currently enough rest for you to complete your desired number of reps, then 2 minutes is fine. If you want to improve your conditioning, next time try 1:50. If you want to get stronger, keep the 2 minutes but shoot for more reps or add weight.

20. e4jsff

e4jsff Active Member

+1 on the DB method. Great way to add weight to yourself, even with limited equipment you can usually get hold of a DB. Also, this is an incredible ab workout!

I also want to add a big +1 to most of the other comments RE: giving it time. Pullups progressed slower than any other exercise for me. However, I kept with it, kept pushing myself for more, and I can now crank out a few unweighted set's of 10 (or whatever other parameters) or 10 set's of 3 weighted with 20lbs.

Mix it up, work hard and keep at it and you'll make progress. Good luck!