1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Pull ups,I need help from pros!!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by rubito, Jul 22, 2010.

1. rubito

rubito Active Member

Well I went for a run and after that I did my pull ups,I got up to 7!!!!!yeih!!!!!! little progrees but It feels good,lets hope I can go beyond that!

2. rubito

rubito Active Member

I did 7 pull ups yesterday,and did 4 x 10 push ups and didnt feel tired,until I did some exercises for my biceps,I wont mix them with the pull ups and push ups jaja

3. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

damn and only a minute rest. you've got to take a video. that is seriously bad ass! :nod:

for some reason i don't see an album on your profile. not sure what i'm doing wrong. :cry:

4. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Well...it is gone now.....Just a google ad there.

5. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

OK I have a general pullup/chinup question: I can't do one so I have to use the assisted machines. I really feel it in my shoulders instead of my back. Is that a case of my back being too weak and my shoulders take over the work?

6. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

a good way to make sure you're engaging more of your back is to imagine pushing your shoulder blades down into your jean pockets as you do chin/pullups.

7. rubito

rubito Active Member

In any case I will do every day pulls ups,the push ups I can do every other day,today I got to 7 and a half ^^

8. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

I'm with you Dej. I tried looking for it as well and thought maybe something was messed up on computer. I'd love to see a video of that, cranking out that many pullups with that much weight on.

I guess its just the skeptic in me when people start going on about how many pullups they do. Maybe they can; I just say show me and do it with proper form.

My younger brother is 46 (he's seven years younger than I am) and doesn't work out. I was visiting him this summer and I asked him how many pullups he thinks he can do. Immediately he said 15-20. I laughed and said I'd bet him $100 he couldn't even do 12. When I explained by "pull up" I meant palms forward (not a chin up) and he had to fully extend his arms down at the bottom of each one, he had second thoughts. :lol:

Many times I have guys come to my gym and want to show off how many pullups they can do. Its amazing, when you have them fully extend down, how it cuts their reps way back. Its very humbling for many of them.

Two years ago, I could barely do one. In order to do my 10 reps, I used resistance bands hooked around the ends of my pull up bar and under one foot as an assist. Each week I did the same number of reps, but used a band with less resistance. (I have a full set of resistance bands). Several weeks later I was a bit apprehensive as I had used the last band the week before. It was all in my head. Once I pumped out the first one with no band, I knew I could do my 10 reps. It was a great feeling.

For me it really helped to dial into using my lats and not trying to use other muscles.

9. JoeSchmo

I used to think I was doing pretty good with my weighted pullups (getting a few reps at 230 lbs BW with a 100lb DB using parallel grip)....until I saw this guy on bb.com who is a true beast when it comes to pullups. He adds nearly his body weight and can still do a rep. :eek:

Check out his youtube channel....

http://www.youtube.com/extremistpullup#g/c/75CB918FFD8E3EEC

10. rubito

rubito Active Member

WOW!! thas incredible,hope to do that someday lol

11. rubito

rubito Active Member

well today I got up to 8 but I will keep writing my progress on my journal,if anyone wants to se it.

My Journal

If I have any problems I will post again,thanks for helping me ;):p

12. JoeSchmo

Nice going man! I remember a time when I could barely do 3 pullups myself.

One thing you might try. If you can get 8 or 9 pullups, and you hit a plateau, try adding weight. Maybe try 5 sets of 3 weighted reps for a 2-3 weeks and then go back to body weight pullups. Years ago, I remember being stuck at 8-9 body weight pullups, so I did weighted for awhile. Came back to BW pullups, and I couldn't believe how light I felt after a few weeks of doing weighted. I felt like I practically shot up to the bar after the very first rep, and I ended up cranking out 11 or 12 reps. I'd added 3-4 reps in just a few weeks!

So, don't be afraid to experiment and try new things.

13. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

14. rubito

rubito Active Member

Well basicly my main goal was to do 10 once,after that I would do once 10 and try to do it a second time,so I can do more reps,what do you think,and how can I strap weigth on the me:S?,what is the best way for a future reference.

And Mauidude cool link , it really explains alot, I will save this page,thanks

15. JoeSchmo

Some people use a dipping belt to add weight. Personally, the way I do it is a little different from most. I set a dumbbell on the ground and stand it up on its end. I then grab it with my feet so that the top part of the DB is resting on the tops of my feet (and the bottom part is below my feet). Then I do my pullups with the DB. (I wish I had a picture because I'm not sure if my explanation is very clear).

Sounds kind of awkward, but it works really well for me.

16. rubito

rubito Active Member

Thanks for that,for the moment I will use my body weigth until I need more,thanks!

17. rubito

rubito Active Member

Oh no!I think I am stuck on 8 pull ups:S...I did it today,i think I did better then yesterday(I did 8 but the last one was poor) but with bette quality...
    maybe because I didnt warm up alot.Normally I do pull ups after running,the only warm up i did yesterday was to stretch my arms and start punching the air so it would warm up a bit.

18. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

nice of you to warm up the air. ;)

don't fret. you aren't going to add reps every day.

grab a ten lb dumbbell (or bag of flour or potatoes or something) with your feet and do sets like that for a couple weeks.

19. rubito

rubito Active Member

You want me to do 8 with extra weight,I dont think I can do that,but I will see how many I can do today,cause I am going for a run first.

20. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

try to do something like 4 sets of 4 with 10 lbs.