1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Pull ups,I need help from pros!!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by rubito, Jul 22, 2010.

1. rubito

rubito Active Member

Hey everyone,I am stuck with my pull ups,I want to do more but I cant!
    I have a friend that he his really strong,slim,he is in jujitsu,and he can tu
    4 x 10 pulls ups on the bar,so I ask for some advice and he said.

Well you could do 1 pull up,rest 1 min,do 2 pull ups,rest 2 mint...so on until 10..well I only can only go up to 4 and thats it,and I dont think thats any progress,I need help.
    I have a bar at home.

2. space cadet

space cadet Active Member

do it again tomorrow, then the day after that then the day after that then the day after that then the day after that then the day after that. Soon you will be able to go up to 5, 6,6 7, 8, 9 then 10. It takes time, just keep trying.

3. sjake

sjake Active Member

ditto!!
    When I started doing pullups and chin ups I could not do any! Once I leaned out I could do three poor controlled pull ups. I continued to do them every other day with the goal of adding one, even if that one was a poor controlled pullup. That was months ago. Now as a women, I can 5 set of 10 with 30 pounds strapped to my ankles! Push for one more each time you do them and you WILL get stronger and better at them. You are your only limitation. Goog luck!

4. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

video please!

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Strong!

I saw this woman at my gym several months ago manage a set of 8 with a 20 lb DB and I was pretty impressed. Five sets of 10 with 30 pounds is awesome! :tucool:

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
  7. rubito

rubito Active Member

should I do it every day?no rest?

8. sjake

sjake Active Member

i am by no account an expert of anything. i do my pull ups with 30 pounds strapped to my ankles-yes with the ankle wrap n chains and a 5 and 10 pound disk on each ankle. 5 set of 10 with a minute in between sets. yes it hurts like h*ll but i push through it. gotta nice back outta the deal. can i post a video on this site? pullups palms facing me. chinups palm facing away. experiment with your grip meaning close, neutral and wide. in the beginning i went with what i could actually do. different grips equates to different level of difficulty. any ways in terms of op, with frequency, personally i do pullup or chinups every other day. i cant speak for anyone else, but every other day is enough for me. when i got to doing 25 weightfree pullups and chinups i started adding ankle weights according to my workout plan. 2.5 pounds at first, when i got to ten i added more weight. now i add reps. tommorrow i will do 5 set +1.. good luck..:tucool:

9. rubito

rubito Active Member

Yes you can,just upload it on youtube and put the link here,give it to me when you got it up and going.

I think I will stop doing my routine and just start doing that,to see how many I can do once and try to go behond that.
    But should I do it once? Because after doing my limit the next time I am really sore.

10. sjake

sjake Active Member

when i started i was happy with just one poorly controlled pull up! prior to that, i had to loose weight seriously 50 pounds or so yes i was really heavy..after losing weight i started training with weights..benches and lat pulls and pushups ect and consistenly added more. when i could handle more than my body weight with lat pulls i started trying pull ups..very poor control(u know the swinging look) but i made myself do them anyways. in the begining it was sets of one! yeah that first one was awesome. then continued to 10..then just had the goal of adding one..now i do sets of 10 with min rest in between but i did set of 2 or 3 when i started..lol.. i found what i thought was a max rep, could almost always be incrase with a short rest period. so for me i could never do them back to back meaning all of them right after another. i dont train that way. i lik,e sets with slight rests for water and prayers...do them anyway that feels good for you but push yourself always to add one more than the time before. gotta have progression. progression can be measured by either increasing difficulty(resistance), speed(time duration), or reps. i experiment with reps and difficulty and speed..just challenge yourself. after awhile they become fun and addicting to beat your best...dont forget to do the same with pushups. my upper body is quite impressive due to these excercies..check out my back in my profile album..all hard work but definately do able..

11. rubito

rubito Active Member

So what I can do is,one day do pull.ups,the next day do push ups,next day pull ups.so on?

PS: I recond that the push ups is to traing the upper body better for the pull ups,right?

#11 rubito, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  12. sjake

sjake Active Member

i do them both every other day..both pushup and pullup are great for upper body but so are benching,rows, curls, ect. to get a total uper body, you need them all. i always do a push, a pull, and numerous squats every workout. out of all my upper body excercises i prefer my pulllups/chinup and inverted pushups..personal preference. i dont even do any lat pull anymore..machines make things easy..i prefer old school weighted pullups/chins, pushup, and olympic compound lifts. i personally dont use any machines anymore..not my thing..but i work out every other day complete total body old school workout and in between is hit cardio...its your preference on how to do things..

13. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

Looking strong. Nice. :tucool:

Where do you place your push ups in relation to your benching? What kind of reps are you doing for push ups? Just curious ...

14. sjake

sjake Active Member

i always do a total body workout and change my plans every few weeks for variety. my benching is always first i my work out. as for hand grips i utilize close, netral, and wide grips as well as inclined, flat, and declined..like them all.. i also use the bar as well as dumb bells for presses. range of motion is different with db and allows more pronation(personal goal) my weight varies in each excercise depending on hand grip. but my max for flat is 180 not bad..im striving for the 200 hundred club!!
    as for my inverted pushups, i do them with my feet elevated on my smith machine bar is in the slot about 43 inches from the floor. these i use weights such as my 40 pound son laying on my back. he loves it and cheaper than the fair rides! i can do currently 4 sets of 10 plus3. in two days will do 4 set(10) plus 4. progression is the key. when i first added weight, i chained it to my weight lifting belt! it was akward and clunky, but defubateky helped with progression.
    i do diamond pushups wide push up netral push ups as well as 1 handed and hand stand pushups..it all fun but about doing more the next time...
    but pushups/chinups , weighted dips, and pullups are my all time favorite excercises and the most beneficial for my upper body in conjunction with my rows. cant live with out them!!!!!!!!lat pull machines should be banned from the fitness worl-lol just my opinions..i must point out i work part time, and have numerous hours to my disposal as i dont work at all in the summer..so time is definately on my side..

15. JoeSchmo

This shows why weighted pull ups are a great exercise! :tucool:

16. JoeSchmo

Not bad?! That is incredible, especially at a body weight of 120. You've got some serious strength!

17. rubito

rubito Active Member

I went for a 32 min run and when I came back I did 6 and a half( the half was really poor pull up),I did that only once,after that I did 10 rep of 4 sets of push ups with 1 mint of rest in between,It felt really good,well after finishing the last push up I rested 1 min an tried to see how many pull ups I could do,I did only 2 jajaja so I will stick to getting 10 pulls ups once,then I will focus on reps,what do you think?

PS:next time I will try to do 7

#17 rubito, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  18. kwyser

kwyser Active Member

It's just gonna take some persistence. Keep at it and make sure you always keep good form. Do pull-ups every single day and after a while you will start to be able to do more and more.

I hope this helped!

19. rubito

rubito Active Member

Every day?shouldn´t I let the muscle rest for a day?

Ps:I have lots of enthusiasm to do pull ups jajajaja!!!

20. kwyser

kwyser Active Member

It depends on how sore your muscles are, let your body tell you when you should rest. If one day you do a ton of pull-ups and the next day you can't even do a few, you should probably take a break.

You get sore for a reason, listen to your body and don't do anything it doesn't want you to do. If you aren't sore or only slightly sore and you feel like you can work through it while still getting in a good workout, then keep at it.