1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Pull this thread

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by zenpharaohs, Mar 26, 2009.

1. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Close grip underhand pull downs: 4x6x180#

2. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

my hands hate me. :blank:

deadlift wu: 135 x 6; 225 x 4; 275 x 1
    deadlift: 310 x 2 (PR)
    speed deadlifts: 260 x 3, 3, 3
    power shrugs: 215 x 5, 5 (PR)
    romanian deadlifts: 225 x 5, 5 (PR)
    bent bb pendlay row: 140 x 5, 5 (PR)
    chin ups: bw x 5, 5
    arched back good mornings: 145 x 5, 5 (PR)
    (90-120 sec rests btwn all sets)

48 mins----avg hr 122----358 cals burned

3. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I was at a Cub Scout cookout today and they were having tug of wars. I'm still unclear as to how the teams were picked, but it was pretty informal. They had one adult on each end and the rest were kids. The kids had a tendency to add themselves to the rope after the tug started, and they tended to add themselves to the side that seemed to them to have the advantage.

In the one case I was involved in, six little kids and I held twenty four big kids and one adult motionless for a couple minutes until a friend of my son's sent a teenager to join our side which won the pull for us. At the time I really had no idea it was such a lopsided contest since looking down the rope I couldn't even see how many kids were on my side let alone count the other side. All I knew was the rope was under a whole lot more tension than I expected.

I have a big rope burn on the forearm - which is odd since they didn't pull the rope past me much at all - it must have come from the rope stretching as it took up the slack.

This brought to mind a somewhat obscure sporting event. Back in 1975, one of the networks (ABC I think) had a show called "Superteams" which was a spin-off from their series "Superstars" where famous athletes would face other famous athletes from other sports in events other than those in which they were professional. Youtube has an example of this, here is Brian Oldfield schooling everyone else at rack jerks:

But what youtube does not have is the Superteams tug-of-war between some of the Pittsburgh Steelers and some of the Minnesota Vikings - teams which had been in the previous Super Bowl. Most of the Superstars events were not taken that seriously by the athletes, but the Superteams changed that - bring the team ethic into the picture and team athletes tend to be unable to not take things that seriously. This tug of war was the last event, and would determine the overall winner (the World Series contenders Oakland Athletics and Los Angeles Dodgers were alreadly eliminated). Apparently the Minnesota Vikings were out to avenge their Super Bowl loss. The tug-of-war was in some sort of sand pit on a beach, and when the strain came on, it was a siege of heroic proportions. This wasn't quarterbacks and kickers, this was mostly linemen and some fullbacks. I don't remember much of the details other than the looks on the players' faces, that the Steelers were within inches of winning until Alan Page turned to face away from the pull, put the rope over his shoulder, and walked the rope all the way back to victory. I remember that it was more than fifteen minutes.

Oddly enough, Alan Page is now on the Minnesota Supreme Court.

I don't know if there is a clip available on the internet (or anywhere else) of this, but as far as pulling goes, it's about as serious as I've ever seen.

4. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

PR on BB rows yesterday.... 355 for 7 reps!

I never liked tug-of-wars in school....mostly because pulling ability was really limited more by the footing than by how hard I could pull. Usually it was on grass or gravel and my feet would slip more than anything.

5. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

A: Those are some serious rows you have there. 7x355#? I knew you were pretty strong but that is really strong.

B: I'm not a big tug-of-war fan myself, but today's escapade reminded me of that Superteams show. They were in sand, but they had good footing - I don't remember whether they were dug in or what, but they had extreme tension on that rope. For over fifteen minutes.

6. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've worked harder on BB rows than virtually any other exercise because I knew I had a push/pull strength imbalance. I thought it was impossible to have a 1:1 ratio (bench/rows), but I'm coming really close to it now. The upside is my shoulder flexibility has improved, and all of my previous shoulder woes are now gone....

Now I just gotta work on my squat!

7. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:eek:

damn man.... that is brilliant! :tucool:

:bow::bow:

8. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The improvement in shoulder health is not surprising, but outside of harcore professionals, I don't think I've heard of 7x355# barbell rows before.

9. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

Holy rows Schmo...seriously strong!

My pulling from yesterday:

1 arm long bar rows: Plates only
    100# 1x10
    120# 3x6

Bent arm pullovers:
    125# 1x4,2,3,1

Regressed a bit on the pullovers but i think it was because i put them in this upper body workout instead of the usual one i do later in the week. My arms, chest, back were fried from the rows, benching, and pressing i did before. Hopefully next week will be better.

10. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Close grip underhand pull-downs: 8x180#, 6x200#, 4x220#

11. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

1 arm long bar rows:Plates only
    125# 5x5

Bent arm EZ bar pullovers:
    125# 3x5,4,3

12. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

BB bent row:
    265# 5x5

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Close grip underhand pull-down: 6x200#, 4x220#, 5x180#

14. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Close grip underhand lat pull-downs: 8x180#, 6x200#, 3x220#

15. adamh707

adamh707 Well-Known Member

2x10 Wide Grip pull ups (spotter assisted - was dieing at 6/7 reps)
    1x1 Close grip with hands facing pull up. ( I had nothing)
    10x60kg bent over underhand rows
    10x2x80kg bent over underhand rows
    2x10x40kg one arm cable rows
    2x10x40kg one arm cable pull downs with towel instead of handles.

16. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Close grip underhand pulldowns: 2x6x200#, 4x220#, 6x220#

Tripod dumbell rows (hooks): 3x10x120#

17. crazychemistryinaz

crazychemistryinaz Active Member

V-handle pull-downs

Sunday: V-handle neutral position pull downs (close grip): 7x150, 5x160, 2x170