1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Puddy's 2009 cut

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Puddy, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

I stopped working out. Managed to stay around 165 for 4-5 years... then suddenly, BAM, I got hit with 25-30 pounds since the New Year.

It's amazing how fast the weight can hit you when you slip into bad habits... I started drinking often, smoking, eating junk, snacking all day on whatever people brought to work... pants started fitting tighter.... then one day I look in the mirror and the love handles are back and the gut is rolling over the belt.

I realized it's time to stop feeling sorry for myself and get back in shape. Dust off the scale, pay attention to my body.

My worst (mid-day weighing) was about 189 lbs. After about 3 weeks, I've made it down to 181, mostly by logging calories and eating clean(ish).

I'm trying to ramp up the training right now. I want to stick with it this time so I can actually start putting some muscle on.

Anyway, I'm trying to develop a strength training routine and will continue to update this journal to keep me motivate. It feels good to be back!

2. LoneStarChick

LoneStarChick Well-Known Member

Man, don't I know it! The weight just sneaks up on ya, doesn't it? Well, glad you're here. Just posting and keeping yourself accountable will help soooo much!

3. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

I hit my first weight spike this morning... 182.6 (+1 lb). I had a cheat meal (burger, fries, beer) on Saturday and did not workout on Sunday, so I'm hoping it's mostly water.

Did my upper body workout today. I'm planning to continue the training with machines until my body feels okay with the idea of, um, physical effort, then transition to DBs, then BBs once I find a good gym to join. I am a weakling right now and want to get the joints moving.

A little light on calories today, 1800. (It's probably 100-200 calories over that, since Au Bon Pain forgot to put chicken on my wrap, and I would up eating about 1 1/3 servings.) I need to order some protein powder... having trouble getting the protein:carb ratio where I want it.

I'm easing myself into the program since my schedule is so busy... knowing myself, I will get stricter and stricter once I figure out what I want to do. Ideally I would like to be at 165 by 8/22, when I'm attending a wedding, which will probably turn into a cheat weekend.

My eventual goal for this cut is about 158, which is what I calculate as 10% body fat. I have very little muscle on my frame... can't wait to build some lean mass!

4. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

Scale was at 180.4 this morning. I'm a little worried I'm losing weight too fast, but looking back at my 2004 cut, I dropped about 12 pounds in the second month.

The bad news today is that I lost my day job (temp). The good news is I have another job lined up, but it won't start for 2-4 weeks. I spent about 3 hours searching for jobs after work and didn't get to the gym until 45 min before closing, so I skipped the post-workout cardio I usually do. I had a great leg workout, though, and ate a little over 2000 calories.

5. rapha07

rapha07 Active Member

Good job getting back into things. Having the journal will definitely help. Even if you don't post them make sure to take some "before pics" so you have something to compare yourself to when you get closer to your goal. :tucool:

6. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

Here's an old thread with pictures from 2004. I didn't take start pictures, but considering I hit 188.8 exactly when I realized I had gained a lot of weight, the 2nd photo in that thread should be a good indicator of how I looked.

---

So, yesterday was my last day on the job. Wound up "celebrating" with some friends, and drank a little too much. This is going to be a pretty bad cheat weekend considering I am flying to NYC today to meet up with my girlfriend and will be attending another party tonight. Considering the way my head feels and the price of drinks in NYC, I plan to take it a lot easier.

The good thing about losing my job, and potentially getting a work-at-home job, is that my time is completely my own. I can go to the gym when I want, cook when I want, and most importantly prepare all my own meals.

Speaking of the gym, my roommate is very gung-ho about joining a nearby gym with a bouldering wall (he's a climber), so we're going to join on Monday. I will be able to start training with barbells again.

So, all this means is I have no more excuses starting Monday. I need to tighten up the diet and stick to a consistent workout plan. I definitely think I can achieve my goal of 165 by August 20.

7. rapha07

rapha07 Active Member

If that's any indication then you have a very good foundation on which to build. :tucool:

Good luck, I'll be following along.

8. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

All right, back from the trip. Scale weight only jumped 2 lbs. to 182.4, which is surprising, considering all the junk I ate and drank. My roommate's not back from his trip yet... so much for joining the new gym today.

I just got back from food shopping, and am very excited to be able to control my diet and food timing 100%. I purchased meat (chicken breast, eye of round steaks), veggies, bananas, potatoes, and a selection of sauces and seasonings. One of the great side benefits, especially considering my financial situation, is I can accurately calculate my food budget from this point forward. Another great side benefit is I don't feel ashamed at the supermarket with a cart full of junk food anymore.

I'm planning on drawing up a diet later today, after I get back from the gym. I also plan to order some protein powder. A side goal this week is to investigate pickup hockey games and get my equipment cleaned up and into shape. Getting back into sports will definitely help with my motivation in the gym.

9. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had a great arm workout. I might've pushed too far since I was forced to lift lighter on my shoulder exercises. Today, I woke up, weighed in at 181.4 (water coming off I'd assume), then made myself breakfast.

Then I went back upstairs and picked up my cell phone to find 3 missed calls and a text from my roommate... turns out his car broke down about 90 miles away. I drove out to pick him up and used my AAA membership to have him towed. (I don't understand why people who drive long distances don't have AAA memberships...) That took about 4 hours out of my day. By the time I came home it was time for lunch.

The good news is I think I can deal with this diet pretty well. The idea right now is:

Breakfast (550 cal): banana, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 cup egg whites

Snack 1: TBD

Lunch (600 cal): 8 oz chicken breast, 8 oz red potatoes, green veggies (peas, green beans, or broccoli), mixed green salad w/ baby carrots

Snack 2: TBD

Dinner (400 cal): 6 oz eye of round steak or 95% ground beef, 1 cup (cooked) brown rice, veggies

Snack 3?: TBD

The snacks are TBD for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't have any protein powder yet.

2. I am trying to run through my supply of "semi-clean" snack foods, like whole wheat crackers, baked corn chips, and Clif bars. That should take a week, and in the meantime I will order some Nitrean.

3. I haven't started my new job yet, so I can't really settle into a schedule. Hopefully I'll at least get a definite start date this week, and that should make things easier.

10. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

Good news, my job starts next Monday. This means I can go ahead and order some protein comfortably since I don't have to worry about covering a gap in paychecks.

To anybody reading this journal, I'm looking for some good 200-300 cal snack ideas that don't need any preparation...

11. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

I use At Large Nutrition's Novus bars for quick snacks. Goodjob on dropping that 8lbs. ;)

12. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

I managed to wake up semi-early today. My alarm was set for 6:30, I was out of bed by 8 :) Made it to school around 10:30, practiced till 3, hit the gym, came home to eat. Going out with my girl to see Up tonight.

Today's weight was 181.4. Moving down... I'll give it another day before I get mad at myself for cheating so shamelessly this past weekend.

I did a leg workout today. Managed to finally complete all the reps I've been shooting for. Still working on machines, which will hopefully change soon, but joining a commercial gym is on hold since my roommate now has to buy another car.

Before I start work next Monday, I really need to squeeze all of the downtime out of my schedule. I need to have eaten breakfast and be at school by 8. My goal is 6 hours of practicing + 5 hours of work per day.

Maybe I should start my own 100 challenge, based on getting my ass out of bed and out of the apartment...

13. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

Back to 180.4 today. Had a great cardio workout on the bike. I couldn't bring myself to do straight LISS today... I did 20 minutes, then did one of the video game races on the Expresso Fitness bike. That really kicked my ass... it's nice to have some motivation to push a little harder. That took about 25 minutes. My dinner after that tasted great! Steak and red potatoes. Funny thing is I feel full, but I think I'm still undereating. Not quite hitting 2000 calories. I think waking up earlier will help resolve that... we'll see.

14. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

Well, here comes the yo-yo part... back up to 181.6 today. I just have to trust that I'm eating the right amount of food and working out. I was definitely eating too few calories earlier (around 1600) which is probably why the weight was coming off so fast. Still, my goal of 165 by August 22 is not looking like it's going to happen. It was ambitious, so let's hope I can at least get close.

Was woken up by the delivery of a dumpster to the construction site next door, which is good because I needed to get up anyway. Time to make breakfast and head to school.

15. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

179.6 today. I guess yesterday was an anomaly. Sometimes I forget I'm drinking so much more water now -- over a gallon a day -- and a gallon weighs over 8 pounds. So depending on what's still in my system, that could easily make up the difference in weight.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping and had a minor freak out when I thought, "I'm spending $50 a week on groceries!" Then I realized I don't eat out anymore, so $50 is the entirety of my food cost for the week. You can really see it in my bank statement: I went from 6-8 transactions a day to 1-2. I'm really happy about this, as the more I can tighten up my budget, the more I can pay back my debt.

I definitely under ate yesterday. I got home so late from school that there was no way to get 2 meals in at that point. Hopefully this will resolve itself Monday when I start working, since I will be coming home earlier.

Anyway, life is good, sticking to the diet, just need to get out of bed when the alarm sounds and stop screwing around at home... story of my life.

16. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

179.8. Cardio yesterday. Did the crazy video game bike thing again. I'm trying to get myself in shape to play hockey again, so I try to push myself harder each time I do cardio... need to increase the stamina.

Last night was Saturday, so I had a few drinks and a little cheat (4 bite-size burgers from the local bar). Not surprised about the weight since I feel a bit bloated right now.

Today's my day off from training. I'm going to use the time to catch up on some house cleaning. Fun times.

17. rapha07

rapha07 Active Member

You doing great and the lost pounds are proof of that. Are you taking progress pics? Whether or not you post them it might help to see your weight loss in a pic rather than a number on a scale. Keep it up! :tu:

As far as protein powder goes I think the stuff at your local WalMart works just fine. Might help with your budget. Just my $.02.

18. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

So yesterday I wound up going to an event with some buddies... plowed through my leg workout as fast as possible, then wound up eating out at Chipotle. Luckily I planned for it so my calories came in okay, it was just a carb-heavy day.

Weight has been steady at 179.8 for 3 days. I wonder if I actually need to eat MORE since my calories are coming in slightly short of 2000 right now (even taking into account the burrito yesterday!)

Today I did some good cardio. I'm increasing the effort with the goal of switching to interval training.

It's my first real day of work today. I really need to move my wakeup time earlier... it will translate into time savings throughout the day since I'll get a better parking spot, and I'll get most of my practicing done before too many people show up to distract me. I'd like to be at school by 8, which is definitely feasible if I actually wake up when my alarm goes off instead of snoozing. It's such a hard habit to break! Maybe I will turn it into a contest... make a little "snooze-free for __ days" sign :)

19. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, today I broke through my stall, too. 179.0, a .8 drop from yesterday. When things like this happen I remind myself that every time I weigh myself my body is in a slightly different state of digestion and water/waste retention.

Based on the past few days, I think I need bigger mid-day meal. I'm going over 7 hours between breakfast and dinner, with nothing but a banana and protein bar in between (400 calories). I felt a huge slump in my last hour of practicing today. I think I will make up a batch of turkey chili to take with me to school every day. This'll help me get a couple hundred more calories in, which I think I need.

My arm workout was great today. It's frustrating because my body wants to do more, I'm just so weak that I can't get more than 2 1/2 sets out.

20. Puddy

Puddy Well-Known Member

Still moving down: 178.8 this morning.

Today I had my most intense cardio session yet. I finally got my HR up to 160 and averaged around 149 not counting warmup/cooldown. I felt great afterward. I am really trying to increase my stamina before I start up playing hockey again... it'll make the first few sessions slightly less painful.

I actually woke up decently early today, 7:20. Got to school and started practicing by 8:45. It makes a huge difference. I was able to spend some time rewriting my bartending resume when I got home before I started working. It was a much needed update. The next annoying task I have to do is write a letter to contest an adjustment to my state tax return. Fun times. Just have to keep rolling along, things are already improving.