1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Protien is whey too expensive!

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by wh0rume, Apr 10, 2008.

1. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

I took a little over a year off from fitness to play video games and eat whatever I want, come back and the prices for whey protein DOUBLE!
    What the hell happened?
    Al Qaeda?

I remember back in the day i was buying 5lbs of Dymatize Whey for $18 a tub! Now i'm being charged $72.

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Climate change and energy demands.

The price of milk has gone up too, but not doubled.

I heard that we're approaching a global food shortage.

3. CuTe PoIsOn

CuTe PoIsOn Active Member

+1 man Im with you all the whey on this :eek:, Honestly if you can find internet deals or something I have in my local fitness shop "Totally Fitness", its a chain, theyre doing 900g MetRx whey & 908g EAS Whey for £46.00 get a free tub of Metrx and a shaker. Thats like 3 for price of one, other than that, myprotein.co.uk should sort you out, but since i live in Norther Ireland its more expensive for my delivery costs.

4. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

dammit! I just bought a new car yesterday!
    I will now raise my own flock of goats.

5. new_grounds

new_grounds Active Member

i feel your pain. i just recently finished off a 5lbs tub of whey i bought a while back and have decided not to use any supplements for a while other than a multi and fish oil.

and to tell you the truth, i don't think i've noticed much difference with or without whey. it mostly an easy way to get extra protein and increase my calories. but i don't think it will make or break me at this level, maybe if i was an elite powerlifter or bodybuilder...

6. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Whey is still cheaper g for g of protein than most other foods if you do the math. It is just you buy it in larger quantities so it seems pricey.

But yeah, it's gone up a lot in a year.

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:( A bike would have been a better idea. I'm looking into the Honda Fit, just cuz I love the name so much. :dreamy:

Are goats a good source of protein? We're thinking about buying a cow. (But we wouldn't keep it in our yard)

8. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmmm... I'm still getting 5lb tubs from my wholesaler for around $32 each...

Nitrean is selling for about $50 for a five pounder if I recall...

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Goats are apparently eaten frequently by Mexicans. Nashville has a large growing Mexican population and I've seen in the news stories about it. So you could eat the meat and use the milk.

You could raise miniature cattle:

[​IMG]

10. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's cute!!! (love your new avatar BTW :))

11. SaintofGamblers

SaintofGamblers Active Member

my gnc whey only runs me about 20 bucks a month, tops...what are you using and how much?

12. erik.whitman

erik.whitman Active Member

=)

Miniture Cattle :D. GTFO!!! Me suspects a bit of Photo-Shoping going on here. The white one only has three legs! This just looks funny. :lol::lol::lol:

13. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

They exist. I saw a piece on one of the news shows about a "ranch" in FL. They claim environmental benefits as they are supposedly requiring less energy to produce the same amount of beef or milk.

Google it, there are quite a few sites on it (including that link).

But that pic does look weird.

14. Crunchdaddy

Crunchdaddy Active Member

Whey is a derivative of milk, as is cream, evaporated milk, casien, non-fat dry powder, etc. All milk protiens and powders are in very high demand worldwide. As standards of living increase in developing countries, they demand and can purchase more protien. A huge source of this protien comes from milk derived products, such as milk powder. Remember Carnation Instant Non-Fat Dry Milk? Well, in developing countries, it's a huge step-up to mix that type of powder with water and drink it. Yuck to us, high nutrition to them. Worldwide demand has surged hugely the past few years and the U.S. is exporting a lot of it. It was also disguised for a few years as the government sold off a lot of it's huge surplus (we're talking billions of pounds here folks).

Along with the above, the rising costs of other inputs (grain for cattle feed, shipping costs, etc) and bad weather in Australia have crimped supply. Prices for dry powder have skyrocketed because of this.

Anyways, there ya go.

15. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Plus a lot of the land that was used to grow grains for food is now being used to grow grains for "bio-fuel".

#@$*%&!!!!!!!! :mad:

16. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

goat meat is very tasty, I have eaten it on several occasions in southern Africa. I eat goats cheese all the time here too:drool:

17. erik.whitman

erik.whitman Active Member

Have you checked

Check www.amazon.com for Dymatize. You can find 5 lbs tubs for $42. Not to bad I think. My big question is there any substantial difference between this product and say Optimum Nutrition or GNC Pro Performance? That is the whey I use right now and it seems to work fine for me.

18. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Not gonna get better soon. India and China are growing like weeds, but their agricultural output isn't. The really scary part is that intelligent people are still sticking their heads in the sand in regards to oil.

19. Master Moron

Master Moron Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart has cheap whey protein. They have tubs for about 13 dollars. Can't remember how many servings are in each tub, but it usually lasts me about two weeks.

20. Brian Golden

Brian Golden Well-Known Member

Yep. I remember doing the costs and it came out to roughly $0.33/serving for a certain whey protein I used to get that I do not recall the name of.

Last tub I brought was 10-lb Cytosport from Ebay, I paid $74ish. When I found that out last night (cause I need another tub) I was shocked I paid so much. :lol:

I am also debating which to buy, and leaning towards 6-lbs of EAS Premium Whey from Costco. Only problem is I will have to buy chocolate or vanilla. I will more than likely do a new cost-benefit to determine which to buy.

I also read in another thread certain whey proteins = not so much gas :lol: so I might look into that as well.

Check out http://bodybuilding.com/ that does the $/serving automatically for you.

Also, DO NOT buy whey protein from Walmart. :doh: