1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Protein Power recommendations (Other than Nitrean)

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Speedster, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

All - I've just found out that it's unlikely I'm going to be able to get Nitrean+ until some time in May from At-Large and Nitrean + BLACK is just way too expensive and also appears to be back-ordered, too.

I'm going to run out of protein powder likely after this week or maybe next.

Please for the love of all that's holy share with me your recommendations of the next best (or maybe better? I don't know) thing that I should pick up.

Thank you in advance for the thoughts.

*Edit* - To note that while there have been other threads about protein recommendations, it's actually been years since one was made and people had a good discussion. So I wanted to post this in hopes that folks maybe have additional experiences to share. I hate having to consider something other than Nitrean. It's my go-to and At Large's customer service is beyond amazing. But I need it NOW and I don't want to go buy something like ON at Walmart, etc.

Some basic research so far shows that True Protein may have what I need.

#1 Speedster, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

I've been telling anyone that will listen about Cellucor's Cor Performace Whey Protein. The macros are nearly identical to Nitrean and it is hands down the best tasting protein I have ever tried. the Cor-Fetti Cake Batter flavor and Peanut Butter Marshmallow with either almond milk or coconut milk taste like you are cheating on your nutrition plan. I'm not kidding at all when I say that all of their flavors are mouth-wateringly good.

3. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Thanks, jbivens! Do they have a multi-protein formula?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

So I purchased 3 pounds of True Nutrition's Premium Chocolate Banana and I'm really impressed with it! There's actually an increase in protein amount and it was $10 cheaper than were I to have purchased it from AtLarge.

I hate saying that, but it's true.

While I'm not a huge fan of the flavor I bought, after this tub I'm likely to try another from them.

I will continue to purchase my other supplements from At Large, like the BCAAs and creatine, likely.

5. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

So here I am almost out of this tub of True Nutrition, excited to see Nitrean+ is back, only to learn it's basically as expensive as Black now. I assumed this is a result of the settlement with the supplier, but unfortunately the cost is no longer feasible for me, so I will have to stick with TN.

I'm really disappointed, as I've purchased nothing but Nitrean for seven years or so.

Of course I continue to wish AtLarge nothing but success, such a great company with great customer service.

6. chris mason

chris mason Well-Known Member
    Official Sponsor

Just an FYI we have Nitrean+ back and it is in-stock and ready for immediate delivery.

We also have our Pre-Workout back, in-stock, and ready for immediate delivery!

7. chris mason

Official Sponsor

Food for thought, try using half as much and see what happens. That doubles your dollars and you will not see a reduction in your results.

8. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

I apologize, Chris, I don't understand the science behind that - but more importantly I have a macros split I need to hit daily and protein reduction would mean increase carbs or fats. Are you suggesting that's appropriate?

If so, after this tub I'm willing to give it a shot. However, I'm on a cut right how so I'm not necessarily consuming a ton anyway.

Meanwhile, I did take advantage of your great BCAA sale! I've never ran out at the same time as one of those sales so I finally lucked out. I've only ever had the watermelon, though, so I'm excited to try lemon lime!

Thanks again for your participation here, it's appreciated.

9. chris mason

Official Sponsor

No, I'm suggesting you use protein as a supplement as it should be and obtain most of your macros from foods.

The lemon lime is AWESOME. I think it tastes just like original Gatorade.

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Although I understand what you mean, Chris, I think Speedster's point was, many people use whey to hit their daily macros.

If creating a food meal plan for a day, and I'm 20g short of protein, but don't have much room for other macros, the easiest thing to do is use 20g of whey to meet the macros. That also doesn't mean I'm not using whey as a supplement, and that most of my macros weren't from whole food. That 20g might be the only whey I take, and I took it just to meet my macros.

The "use half as much Nitrean" doesn't really help hit the macros.

Your point is "if you use 40g of protein in your post-workout drink now, you can get away with using 20g of Nitrean and get the same results. Get the other 20g of protein later, in the form of whole food."

Perfectly valid, but a little different use of the supplement.

Jaer
    doesn't actually worry about macros that much. If he was 20g of protein short, he wouldn't mind consuming 15g protein and 5g carbs of something to make the difference. Or end the day 20g short. 80 cals off for a day probably isn't going to kill his gainz.

11. chris mason

Official Sponsor

Sure, but then again most people have excessive protein macro daily targets. You are correct about both points.

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Much agreed on this as well!

Jaer
    is sparing in this whey protein use.