1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Protein powder and colonoscopy

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by leftyx, Mar 21, 2006.

1. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Has anyone here had a colonoscopy and been instructed to not use or allow using protein powder like for a protein shake? I'm talking to my doctors office and the woman taking my call told me it's not allowed. But when I asked why she said "that's not on the list." She couldn't tell me why so I'm waiting to talk to the doctor.

My test isn't until Thursday and I understand that after 12pm on Wednesday I'm to have nothing but clear liquids. But I thought I would like to have a protein and natty pb shake today about 2 hours before I do my LISS cardio.

So does anybuddy know if protein powder affects the test in anyway two days before the test?

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I think I'd take their advice. I can't remember exactly what was on my list of stuff allowed/not allowed and when, but why risk it for one workout? Not like you'd want to have to go through all of that crap (pun fully intended) again if there was a problem, would you?

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

This is why I can't stand some doctors. The doctor's nurse called me back and said "you can only have Boost or Ensure". I've never met this doctor. I'm sure he has no idea that I have a Muscle Milk shake. He may not even know what it is but the thing is they just don't care.

So I looked it up on the Net and one colonoscopy site has a menu that allows "protein drinks" as well as Ensure and Boost for two days before the procedure.

I know I said I was gonna have a protein and natty peanut butter shake but I remembered I won't be home this afternoon and I picked up a Muscle Milk which has lots of protein and fats.

4. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

If those things are OK, then protein powder should be. However, I'd personally still do exactly what they told me for a couple of days, even if it was not exactly right or logical due to the importance of the test and the lack of my desire to repeat the whole process :)

Two days isn't going to set your progress back much more than the "cleansing" will anyway.

Just my $.02.

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

He probably doesn't know what a Muscle Milk shake is, but it's unfair to say that he doesn't care. The doctor's most important concern is that the procedure goes well, not that your diet is minimally disrupted.

They simply can't afford to spend a great deal of time doing the appropriate research on a relatively minor issue for every single patient they deal with. They have to be able to go by thegeneral guidelines, instead of dealing with each patient's unique dietary needs.

I don't think it's the end of the world to skip a protein shake for one day. But if it's that important to you, print out what you found, and discuss it with the nurse.

6. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Good point. I've decided to go with the general concensus of NOT having the Muscle Milk.

I can't discuss it with the nurse because I don't think it really was a nurse. It was just someone in the office relaying the message. Sorry if I said it was the nurse. But you're right, it just isn't that important. I'm just one patient out of dozens he sees during the day.

7. Bart001

Bart001 Well-Known Member

Guava gave a pretty practical answer. I don't fault you for wishing that you got a better response from the MD / nurses that's more suited to your needs. However, given what I know about that procedure, I'd either (1) do what they say or (2) skip the procedure (much less desirable). Going thru that having done something that MIGHT confound the results makes no sense to me.

8. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Make sure to post pics :tucool:

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

:blank:

I woke up in the middle of mine and got to see my tumor. I wasn't really wanting to do that...

10. jwdiho

jwdiho Well-Known Member

The reason your doctor (or nurse) told you not to take the protein powder is due to the amount of residual crap that is left in your colon. The whole point of bowel prepping for a colonoscopy is to wash off ALL the solid and semi-solid shit that's stuck on your colon walls. That way he can see any small polyps, growths, bleeding, etc. If you take something semi-solid after the bowel prep and it makes it to your colon, you really prevent the doctor from doing a complete exam.

Shame on the doc for not having time to explain this simple procedure. :nono:

11. jwdiho

jwdiho Well-Known Member

34yo? I hope it wasn't anything serious. If it was, I hope you are doing well!
    Unusual for a 34yo to get a colonoscopy in the first place.

12. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Heh, it was a bit serious. I had lymphoma last year. The basic story is in my journal linked in my sig (first post). I'm doing great now.