1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Protein Popsicles

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by phillydude, Jun 26, 2014.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I have been playing with this idea for years, but finally have it down.

4 scoops protein powder (I use chocolate)
    3 scoops water (use the same size scoop)
    1 ice pop maker set

[​IMG]

Mix protein and water and pour into ice pop mold (I bought mine at Dollar Tree for a buck), adding the sticks before freezing. To remove, run under warm water until you hear a "crack" and the popsicle can be slid out. Return remaining ice pops to the freezer.

The trick was finding the right balance of protein to water... since the mixture is quite sticky, earlier attempts wouldn't release from the mold without melting to the point they made a mess. A thinner mixture didn't have the same protein "punch."

These are a great snack post-workout or as a treat in the evening when you really want some ice cream.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Interesting idea.

3. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

awesome i will definitely try this. you using room temp water to mix or cold or not find a difference? doesn't seem like nearly enough water to even get it to mix but i'm glad it was you doing the testing and saving us the time!

4. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I use water at room temperature (or whatever temperature comes out of the tap. As far as the mixing, I usually mix mine in a large measuring cup (for the sake of having a spout)... it will be thick but pourable (at least mine is) YMMV! Your Mixture May Vary

p.s. Hi Deja! :wave:

5. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

Heyyyyyy!! :wave:

Thanks i will give this a go!

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I can see these being made at home. Wonder if a milk base would work, like almond milk and protein instead of water.

Jaer
    will give these a go.

7. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Does almond milk freeze well? I know that regular milk gets fairly "grainy" when frozen... I guess it's the fat content that matters.

8. Steel Dylan

Steel Dylan New Member

That's definitely one thing NOT to do with almond milk... Happened to me before as well. There's not much use in it now, but you could always try to blend it with some juice which would help you drink it. If you were hoping to do something with the milk that would highlight the taste of it in a dish, you really can't anymore. It's only good for its nutritional values now, and you would essentially be trying to get it down your throat.